Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Price and Date

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Blue's points out a post on the DX:HR Facebook page that announces a release date of next week and a price of $14.99 / 1200 point thingies for The Missing Link:
The Missing Link will be released on October 18th, 2011 on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC in North America! Will retail for 1200 MSP / $14.99. In Europe, it will be released on October 18th for Xbox 360 and PC, and October 19th for PS3, and priced at 1200 MSP / €11.25 (PS3) / €10.99 (PC).
There's also a Steam page for PC buyers.
More information.

At an estimated 5 hours $15 does seem a little much. That said there are plenty of straight-up shooters that are 5 hours long in total and sell for $50, so... I dunno.

That Facebook page has some posts arguing about the price of this and whether or not it was created, at least in part, concurrently with the base game. Seems some people aren't happy with the pricing, but I wonder how it will actually sell.

Since they did end up putting the Explosive Mission and Tactical pack DLCs up at other outlets besides Steam I assume they will do the same with this one on release.

Still, this seems like a 'wait for it to go on sale' purchase for me.

At an estimated 5 hours $15 does seem a little much. That said there are plenty of straight-up shooters that are 5 hours long in total and sell for $50, so… I dunno.

I was going to say something similar. A lot of gamers don't seem to have an issue with shelling out $60 for a 5-6 hour Call of Duty game. I guess it's different if you're going to invest time in the multiplayer, but I know plenty of people who buy those games just for the single-player.

The estimated 5 hours was for a speed run through unless I misread that. I never speed run through anything. I'm going to wait for a better estimate.

It's not so much the length that makes me feel it's not worth it. It's the fact that it's stand alone and thus adds no value to the game. I plan another play through of dxhr so if it added 5 hours into the game with some c&c, couple new augs and weapons that I could continue using in the game I'd be all for it.

I also don't like the progression of dlc prices it seems they keep going up $5 with each new batch. We used to pay 19.99 for full expansions that would include new enemies, weapons, story and 15-20 hours of gameplay now we pay 14.99 for 5 hours little to no new story and I think the mentioned a couple new weapons.

Sorry that just doesn't cut it. If this is the direction of dlc count me out.

It's worth noting that this is coming out not too far ahead of the big Steam winter sale. I almost wonder if part of the reason the cost of these DLCs is going up is to compensate for all the sales. :p

Anymore, I usually wait for a sale to buy DLC. EA is an annoying exception since they tend to keep their DLC to themselves and it almost never goes on sale.

It's not so much the length that makes me feel it's not worth it. It's the fact that it's stand alone and thus adds no value to the game. I plan another play through of dxhr so if it added 5 hours into the game with some c&c, couple new augs and weapons that I could continue using in the game I'd be all for it.

If it's not an open world game though, which HR isn't really, then you can't do that without alienating players who don't want to start over. Linear games need standalone linear DLC.

If it's not an open world game though, which HR isn't really, then you can't do that without alienating players who don't want to start over. Linear games need standalone linear DLC.

I understand what your saying given the content and where this specific dlc is based in the game, but it wouldn't be to hard to add an npc that has a mission they take you to and you could access that anytime and then take any augs or weapons along for the rest of the game if you choose to play it again. Yes I realize that wouldn't work well for this specific dlc but that's an easy way to add new dlc even though the game is linear.

To me I just believe dlc should enhance the current game and stand alone adventures should be left for expansions. With dlc's getting more and more expensive there will be no reason to make expansions anymore. Release 3 small 2-5 hour stand alone dlc's at $15 a pop and you make more than double what you'd make by releasing a 15-20 hour expansion. Good for them I guess but not so good for gamers imo.

To me I just believe dlc should enhance the current game and stand alone adventures should be left for expansions. With dlc's getting more and more expensive there will be no reason to make expansions anymore. Release 3 small 2-5 hour stand alone dlc's at $15 a pop and you make more than double what you'd make by releasing a 15-20 hour expansion. Good for them I guess but not so good for gamers imo.

"DLC" has already replaced the expansion though, honestly. Barring a few rare examples the full retail expansion is done. Of course, since most games themselves are downloaded now what "DLC" is really needs to be reexamined anyway. Something like Old World Blues for Fallout New Vegas is pretty much an expansion in everything but name. If this is 5 hours long that's as long as the FEAR expansions, for example.

It's all just content in the end.

They could have made it so you can either play it at the time it occurs or have something that you can activate that will either have you go back over what happened or a recording of what happened and you play it then. During the play you remember where you left the stuff you got during it and you can now go get it. That would allow you to play it at any time and still have it fit in the game.

Back
Top Bottom