Deathfire - Interview @ DarkStation

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
DarkStation interviews Guido Henkel in a new podcast interview.

In this episode of DCI, Brian and I talk with Guido Henkel to discuss his latest game, DeathFire. Guido has worked on a number of renowned RPG including Realms of Arkania and Planescape: Torment. So in addition to chatting about DeathFire, we also talk about his his time on those other games.
More information.

He dodged an interesting/ important question, that is how he's going to win over people who aren't oldschool RPG fans. But then he may not have an answer to that yet anyway, not until it's clearer what kind of beast Deathfire is going to be.

There ought be enough of those old-school fans to disregard trying to reach new crowds - if you do your thing well enough, that is. Old bastards like us are burnt children and as such prone to skepticism and bitterness.
I wonder, though, about the status of this project - Guido has gotten a bit quiet, lately.

There ought be enough of those old-school fans to disregard trying to reach new crowds - if you do your thing well enough, that is. Old bastards like us are burnt children and as such prone to skepticism and bitterness.
I wonder, though, about the status of this project - Guido has gotten a bit quiet, lately.

The thing is, Guido doesn't seem to limit himself to splendid isolationism. It started with Thorvalla, where he specifically wanted to build a card-based combat system that isn't traditional (not in Western RPGs anyway). Also with Deathfire, he hasn't said that he simply wants it to be a nostalgia project. He has said that he wants the game to be "fun", first and foremost, and that he wants to do some things that haven't been done before in first person party based RPGs. I think after all this time developing rather obscure games he's aiming for, or at least would like to reach, a bigger audience. Which would be understandable for someone who worked on Neverwinter Nights.

Ah, there's a new update on his blog today. Newsworthy?

Edit: oh, my... how could that happen? "Deathfire" really comes close to "Divine Divinity" as titles go in my book...

Back
Top Bottom