Dragon Commander - Videos from Gamescom

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Interesting videos. Considering how recently they announced this, I'm surprised by how far the development has come. Do we have an ETA on release?

"Probably 2012" was mentioned by Larian. If so, then I think it would be the second half of 2012.

Quite an interesting game indeed. At least the story & strategy part. For some reason I expected the actual flying to be more… impressive? I mean: even though it's equipped with a jet pack, the speed with which your dragon flies is not really noticeable from the height shown in the video's. I would have expected more "soaring and swooping across cliffs, while breathing flame upon nasty foes"-stuff. You know.. dragony things.

ROFL at the princess!

The game looks promising, but I agree with Zerotown: the fighting in dragon form seems a bit weak. Here are my 2 cents on that:

(1) I know the team is in love with the jet pack, but it makes no sense that a jet pack would slow time. It is more likely to burn the dragon's tail. Also, it does not look cool. Seriously. Why not implement time slow and super speed as natural / magical dragon abilities?

(2) I found it hard to describe exactly why I dislike the dragon fighting in the demo. But I can rant about it a little now: actually, the dragon flies like a Hoverball, or maybe a Bit for those who watched TRON, but not like a flying reptile. With the exception of super-speed, there seems to be little advantage in flying forward as opposed to flying sideways or backwards, but if dragons were existing, it would probably be much more energy efficient for them to fly forward and breath fire sideways instead of flying sideways and breathing fire forward. It seems more natural, and I am sure most people imagine a dragon swooping over a village, igniting houses and villagers alike with their fiery breath before they fly on or decide to make a turn to attack again, while only few imagine it to make a sideways strafing run, circling the village while shooting some kind of plasma balls. If the dragon would behave a little more like an air plane and a little less like a helicopter it would lend it more credibility, although I am sure it will require some creative ideas to implement this in a way that does not harm usability as an airborne weapons platform and control system.

If I had to decide between a functional control scheme and natural looking dragon flight, and could not have both, I would go for the controls as well, but there might be a better compromise between both than was used for the demo.

(3) I never expected the game to be this advanced already. Great work, and definitely something on my 'to watch' list!

Last edited:
Looks like the Div2 dragon gameplay.

I don't get it, according to them wasn't this the game they decided to develop after stumbling upon an innovative gameplay mechanic by chance?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom