Civilization:Beyond earth announced

I loved Alpha Centauri so much. If this comes even close, it's a must-buy.

I can not wait for this flipping game. Oh my goodness.

It seems like this won't be the "Alpha Centauri 2" a lot of us have wished for for so long…it's gonna be something way more nuanced and complex. For those who just have to have another go at Alpha Centauri but feel like the game is too dated, there's always Pandora. (Though I feel like Pandora did a rather superficial job at recreating AC in all its genius).

As for me….October can't come soon enough. :cool:

Don't forget Pandora also has a new expansion next month Aubrielle. I hope it adds more content, and fixes the game. So fingers crossed.:fingerscrossed:
Since the release of Pandora: First Contact in late 2013, developers from Proxy Studios have been carefully collecting players’ feedback and thinking about the pros and cons that were highlighted by the community. At the core of this debate were requests about the diversity in this 4X sci-fi game, and the richness of the diplomatic relations between the factions. As a result the team has been working hard to make the game deeper and released several patches and a free expansion – Return of Messari – that went in this direction, and brought brand new content with a game changer that ensured fun and challenge for the late game.

Even though diplomacy has been improved by the patches, it was still not a decisive feature in the game. But the time for blind and demonstrative war will come to an end on September 19th, the official release date of Eclipse of Nashira, the ultimate expansion for Pandora: First Contact.

Indeed this new add-on is really focused on shadow warfare and underground moves. Espionage, sabotage, riots, and technology theft are only few examples of the new sneaky possibilities that await the players. At the same time the different factions start to expand beyond the planet's landmass to generate more resources, opening up a new frontier. Once more the balance of power should be reconsidered on this inhospitable planet, and both ruse and low blow will now play a major role on the surface of Pandora.

We are also pleased to announce that the game will be available both on our stores and on Steam! Get more information on Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira from its official product page.

Weird synchronicity - I was just talking the other day about how Pandora was fun but it seemed combat heavy and lacked depth, and here you're telling me about this expansion. :) I had no idea about that, so thank you for the news! I'm glad to know the devs weren't just gonna leave it there. ^.^

Yeah I found the original had a few problems. I spent few days then lost interest actually. So I'm glad to see it wasn't abandoned by the small developer.

I also see your interested in Alpha Centauri. Have you ever tried a mod for Civilization 4 called Pitfall. It's basically a fan made adaption with a new engine.

Link- http://www.moddb.com/mods/planetfall
Earth, 2060. A small group of colonists leaves the ravages of Earth for a distant planet orbiting Alpha Centauri's primary star. Their ship, the United Nations Starship Unity, carries them on their journey to a new world and a new hope for humankind. Along the way a reactor malfunction damages the Unity, precipitating a crisis among the ship's seven most powerful leaders. As they enter the Alpha Centauri system, the crew splits into seven distinct factions, divided not by nationality, but by ideology, and their vision for the new world. After the ship breaks apart, the seven leaders guide their chosen crew down to the surface of Planet, seeking their destiny beneath an alien sky.

This mod has as goal to recapture the atmosphere and story of SMAC, but create an improved gameplay with the tools offered by Civ4. Requires Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword 3.19

Aaah, yeah...didn't Pandora get some flak for being a "ripoff" of that mod? I mean, who knows if the Pandora team really took the mod and copied it, but I know there was criticism in some circles about it...

But I've never played that mod. Maybe I'll have to try that...

I found a few more videos again so here they are. :bow:

The first video is a new trailer from the game official YouTube channel.

How will you shape the future of mankind? Learn about the Purity Affinity, Virtues, the Orbital Layer and combat strategies against aliens and rival factions.
And the second video is a demo of the first on hundred turns.

As part of the 2K event I went to a couple of weeks ago, I got to sit down with Civilization: Beyond Earth for a few hours. Check out my thoughts and gameplay in this video!

Just like Civilization 5 the game just uses his name.
Game Designers

Will Miller
David McDonough
Nothing new here as he sold Firaxis Games to 2K Games.
On November 7, 2005, Take-Two Interactive announced that it was acquiring Firaxis.[1] The terms of the agreement were not disclosed, but according to the SEC filing it amounted for US$26.7 million in cash, stock, and development advances, with almost US$11.3 million of that figure coming in the form of possible considerations based on future product sales. The company was consolidated with PopTop Software in March 2006, the resultant combined studio to be headed up by Sid Meier.
From what I can find he is working on Civilization Revolution 2.

Update:
He did work on the game as it was released in July.

Link- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_Revolution_2
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution 2 is a 2014 iteration of Civilization and sequel to Civilization Revolution developed by Firaxis Games with Sid Meier as designer for the iOS.

Last edited:
Firaxis Games released the full panel from Pax Prime 2014. Just a short warning the video is over an hour long. So only watch it if you have time to spare.

Enjoy the Firaxis Games Megapanel from PAX Prime, 2014, featuring live gameplay of Civilization: Beyond Earth and commentary from the Firaxis Games team.

I don't know if anyone watced them yet but Firaxis Games has four new Livestream videos on the games official YouTube channel. Here are the links.

1. Livestream 1 - They're not barbarians!

Link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMWFITPW3C8
Direct from Firaxis Games, Pete Murray plays Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth for the first time on Twitch! Watch as he demonstrates the difference between Civilization V's barbarians and Beyond Earth's complex aliens.
2. Livestream 2 - Seeded Start

Link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d2ZhwLhjU8
Direct from Firaxis Games, Pete Murray plays Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth on Twitch! Pete Murray and Beyond Earth Co-Lead Designer, David McDonough, go over the bonuses and perks included in the unique seeded-start for Civilization: Beyond Earth.
3. Livestream 3: Techs and Virtues

Link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAKmaBlEIIw
Direct from Firaxis Games we're playing Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth on Twitch! Pete Murray and Beyond Earth Designer Anton Strenger take a look at a late game Harmony faction, techs, and Virtues.
4. Livestream 4: Covert Ops

Link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Tk1BEI5tc
Direct from Firaxis Games, we're playing Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth on Twitch! Pete Murray and Beyond Earth co-lead designer Will Miller explore the new Covert Ops system.

I'm happy this game is coming out, but there's something about those graphics that just don't do it for me.. :/

I still think Civilization 2 has the best graphical style of any of the games. I really didn't care for Civ 5's style at all. I can't quite put my finger on it but I just don't find certain modern graphical styles all that appealing compared to the older styles.

I can't quite put my finger on it but I just don't find certain modern graphical styles all that appealing compared to the older styles.
I'm sure that's the long lost "Charm of the Pixels (tm)" you're refering to. ;) I had a similar feeling when the first SVGA games came out; they felt so sterile. Same with modern movies and all their CGI dust and smoke.

I'm still intrigued by this game. Could look a bit more alien though.

Here is a new trailer for anyone still reading the thread.:)

Learn everything you need to know about successfully colonizing a new alien world in this extensive gameplay preview

I can't wait to play as a Purity civilization. xD

I can't wait to play as a Purity civilization. xD
I think I will chose supremacy as you will all be assimilated.
smiley-whacky034.gif

I always wanted to use this smiley also.

smiley-whacky084.gif

As Max from Sam and Max said "People of Earth we come in peace.Nah just kidding prepare to die."
So regardless of which aliment I chose I think I just burn down to ashes everyone that is not me. :cm:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom