Assassin's Creed - Next Game in China?

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Gamebyte reports on rumours that the next Assassin's Creed will be set in ancient China.

While every player is sure to have their own preferences, various rumours have hinted at where and when we'll be headed to next.

Rumours of the next Assassin's Creed having a Chinese or Japanese setting surfaced in 2020 thanks to some concept art. These same rumours then surfaced again in January this year thanks to French YouTuber x0nathan.

The content creator claimed that the next Assassin's Creed will not only release in 2022, but also that it will be set in ancient China.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Sounds good to me as well but I don't think it will be released in 2022. As the dlc for Assassin's Creed Valhalla isn't even finished yet, but who know well see I guess.

Last edited:
Ancient China means the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" Period, around 169 AD, which curiously is around the height of Roman Empire as well. I would sort of like a game set during the Opium Wars & the Boxer Rebellion of the 19th century, find out their take on this setting since they did Victorian London so well.

Sounds good to me as well but I don't think it will be released in 2022. As the dlc for Assassin's Creed Valhalla isn't even finished yet, but who know well see I guess.

For the more recent AC games they have had separate studios working as the leads on different AC games at the same time in order to shorten the time between games. Ubisoft Montreal did a lot of the old ones, along with the more recent AC Origins and AC Valhalla but Ubisoft Quebec was lead developer for AC Syndicate and AC Odyssey, for example. They did slow down a bit in release times between games after AC Syndicate (probably realising they were developing a glut in the market?), but releasing a new game every 18 months isn't beyond them if they want to.

I guess there's a market for AC content every year if they're actually releasing it next year. Personally, I have not managed to finish a single AC game yet. They are just too long and generic for me. Will finish AC Valhalla before I buy any new AC games...

For the more recent AC games they have had separate studios working as the leads on different AC games at the same time in order to shorten the time between games. Ubisoft Montreal did a lot of the old ones, along with the more recent AC Origins and AC Valhalla but Ubisoft Quebec was lead developer for AC Syndicate and AC Odyssey, for example. They did slow down a bit in release times between games after AC Syndicate (probably realising they were developing a glut in the market?), but releasing a new game every 18 months isn't beyond them if they want to.
Yep I know that but business wise nope. :)

Ubisoft already said they wanted to wait longer to release new games in the series.

Yep I know that but business wise nope. :)

Ubisoft already said they wanted to wait longer to release new games in the series.

Releasing in 2022 is waiting longer compared to the period they were talking about - in the 'glut' period the games were being released every year. Ubisoft seem to drop most/all of their main AC games in October/November, so since Valhalla dropped in 2020, releasing the next game in 2022 will be around two years if they keep to their usual release window.

At least its a refreshing and a different type setting than the boring ones in their latest games... That said, I would much rather want to see a game set in Japan, not China.
I have always had a thing for Japanese culture and especially their beautiful and distinctive architecture, and just the whole cultural thing and rich cultural atmosphere they have going on over there -- China, not so much.

What a mega-factory it has become! I'm wondering how they can keep a good consistency between the games, working like that. Though maybe it's not a priority and if it feels different it's not a real problem.

Actually they should stop clinging to the AC plot and just call that "the big cabals of history" series ;) It's feeling really weird forcing all those different themes under the same umbrella.

I agree. I must say that I am not a fan of the series or stories they make but I am a fan of the settings of AC games. Don't get me wrong. There's a lot to appreciate in the games I have tried but it feels like they try to cram too much filler in their games. The games would be better had they focused them more on a good story and dropped that silly overarching plot. Although, then they probably could not call them "Assassin's Creed". Anyway, I appreciate that they make these games.

What a mega-factory it has become! I'm wondering how they can keep a good consistency between the games, working like that. Though maybe it's not a priority and if it feels different it's not a real problem.

Actually they should stop clinging to the AC plot and just call that "the big cabals of history" series ;) It's feeling really weird forcing all those different themes under the same umbrella.
Seems at one time they intended to finish the series with Assassin Creed III, but someone higher up said you know what lets just milk this damn franchise instead.

Still yeah I agree the recent games almost bear no relevance to the original games at this point. That's fine with me though as I love the series new direction.

I just wish one of studios would make another World in Conflict game.

I’m all for it. I really enjoy the newer AC’s. Especially since you can play as a female. I loved Cassandra’s character.

Not sure how that will fit in ancient Chinese lore but I’m not sure it fit with Viking or Roman lore either. I’m glad the give the option anyway.

That "ancient China" game will apparently be developed by Tencent(chinese company) and will be an "AAA MOBILE" game.
Yup folks.
Now that's a surprise.

I'm not a fan of Asian settings anyway. So when or if they come back to PC they'll perhaps do a setting I'm more interested in.

I'm disappointed though that they didn't decide to develop the franchise into a serious AAA RPG competitor.

Tencent is not a developer studio.

Back
Top Bottom