Kingdom Come - About the Combat

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PCGamesN preview the combat system of Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

[...]

Not-so-simple swordplay

Temporarily giving up my life of accidental crime, I decide to progress through the main quest, which eventually sees me in combat training. The fencing-style swordplay of Kingdom Come is one of the key areas Warhorse are working on, differentiating it from competitors, and it is what got a lot of people excited enough to fund it.

But let me warn you now. Combat is tricky - very tricky. The training session is lengthy, but I was glad for it - the sword-fighting aspect of Kingdom Come is intricate and exceptionally punishing. The general idea is that you have to focus on enemy movements as much as your own, darting in and out of sword range, noting the positioning of their sword so you can get in a quick hit, or parry their blade. The mouse is used to choose sword position and attack type, and all the while you have to keep on your toes, as well as react with parries and dodges.

There is a huge focus on stamina management, too. If you run out your screen goes blue and the sound dims. It gives you a sense of tunnel vision and is a smart way to force you to back off and recover. No stamina means no attacks, no parries, and a dead you. You also cannot heal during battle, and when you get hit your max stamina drops, meaning you are more likely to get hit again.

[...]
More information.

This game doesn't seem to get much attention here. Am I the only one looking forward to it? Looks fantastic to me. I just hope the combat system is playable with keyboard & mouse. Looks somewhat complicated.

I'm looking forward to it as well. But somehow I still don't know what to expect.

Very much looking forward to it! I'm not expecting another Witcher 3 or anything and there's a real good chance they've bit off more than they can chew making this game but, if they pull it off....

I'm also interested, but if the combat is necessary and overly tricky, that would ruin it for me. Based on older combat vids, it looks like combat can be very tedious (lots of back and forth and circling etc), which may mirror combat in the real world, but is not something I'd welcome in a game like this. Unless it is extremely infrequent. Whatever they do should not make combat take longer than other RPG games with less button-mashing combat such as Elex or TW.

I'm certainly looking forward to it, the only thing that I don't really like is the realistic setting. That didn't stop me from enjoying hundreds of hours with Mount & Blade though.

It’s going to be hilarious finding worthless dandelions to loot. I wonder if they implemented a food / starvation system? I would think that goes hand in hand with a realism approach. It would be a fun mini game to bow hunt

They need to clean it up. But it looks “slower” than Oblivion combat to me. Every video I’ve seen looks like a mess but with clear potential. I’m just intrigued by the concept.

PC Gamer made a fresh article about the game:
http://www.pcgamer.com/being-a-nobo...y-in-historical-rpg-kingdom-come-deliverance/

As you might guess correctly, the pic of the protagonist in the article made me drool like crazy. Finally some game post TW3 adds sexy hair!

Every next line got me more exiced... Till I reached a point of vomit.
The system's greatest asset is one you're more likely to make use of in an immersive sim: your appearance.*
On that bullshit I've stopped reading.

Every next line got me more exiced… Till I reached a point of vomit.

On that bullshit I've stopped reading.

Hehehe. I share your distaste for respawns, but the "immersive sims" tag is just a meaningless buzzword IMO. It doesn't tell you squat about the game (other than that it will quite likely be first-person).

Back
Top Bottom