Legend of Grimrock 2 - Review @ RPG Codex - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Legend of Grimrock 2 - Review @ RPG Codex

Default Legend of Grimrock 2 - Review @ RPG Codex

December 7th, 2014, 17:16
RPG Codex has posted their review of Legend of Grimrock 2:

When the first Legend of Grimrock came out, it took me by surprise. I'm pretty sure the first I'd heard of it was on the Codex, a reliable go-to source for games that tend to slip the mind of the mainstream press. It was a pleasant surprise, precisely because it ticked for me all of the boxes that had not been ticked in a long time: A slow-paced, puzzle-based, RPG trek through a dangerous dungeon, with a good dose of combat, a fairly interactive environment, an interesting story, and an unapologetic learning curve.

The Legend of Grimrock II, then, is a continuation on these elements, and in almost all cases the sequel improves upon the original. There are some hiccups here and there, but for the most part Almost Human is well on their way towards building a strong, enduring franchise, but also a rock-solid approach to game design in general.
And in conclusion:

When you put it all together, you get a hell of game. Challenging combat, an interesting skills mechanic, great visuals, terrific music, intelligent level design, and an overall feel for developing a living, breathing, dangerous world, puts Legend of Grimrock II quite high on my list of favorite RPGs. I will have to play it a few more times to be sure where I rank it, but it is probably in my top five of the last 15 years. Which means I will have to move Dragon Age II off of my list.
More information.

killias2

Disastrous Fate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

December 7th, 2014, 17:17
I will have to play it a few more times to be sure where I rank it, but it is probably in my top five of the last 15 years. Which means I will have to move Dragon Age II off of my list.
Is this guy serious or is a superb troll?

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)

December 7th, 2014, 17:22
I was sort of wondering what that ending was about myself, haha.

killias2

Disastrous Fate

December 7th, 2014, 17:43
Well, I don't know about superb.

Infinitron

RPG Codex Staff

December 7th, 2014, 19:34
Grimrock 1&2 are cool dungeon crawlers, but top 5 over the last 15 years is a bit over the top.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
+1:

December 7th, 2014, 19:42
Can't say as I still didn't play it, but a reviewer says his top 5 games list contain DA2.
That's what I was asking about.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

December 7th, 2014, 20:44
I don't think the sarcasm could be more pronounced. This is the Codex we're talking about.

Also Crooked Bee is a huge blobber fan afaik. Me I've yet to decide which one of MMX, Grimrock, Frayed Knigths or Xulima is worth giving a shot.
--
I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

December 7th, 2014, 21:09
All the snarky trollisms aside, that was an informative review.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

December 7th, 2014, 23:26
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
I don't think the sarcasm could be more pronounced. This is the Codex we're talking about.

Also Crooked Bee is a huge blobber fan afaik. Me I've yet to decide which one of MMX, Grimrock, Frayed Knigths or Xulima is worth giving a shot.
Those games are all worthwhile and should be played.
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
+1:

December 7th, 2014, 23:32

I agree with Corwin all those game deserve to be played and I would also add Paper sorcerer to that list.

Nameless one

Wizzard

December 7th, 2014, 23:36
*sigh*
I'm on Xulima right now, Grimrock 2 will happen sooner or later, MMX finished ages ago, etc.
But I asked about certain top 5 of last 15 years list, not about those games.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

December 8th, 2014, 00:13
I loved that trolling. Ending with implying DA2 was in his top 15 was hilarious. I could just see people freaking out. Epic trolling.

Anyway, I've only played Grimrock 1. I'm very excited to play Grimrock 2. It being as good as the timeless classics seems unlikely, but who knows?!

Brumbek

Keeper of the Watch

December 8th, 2014, 01:43
Crooked Bee is indeed a huge blobber fan, but the review was actually written by Decado (in case mentioning it two times in the review itself wasn't enough ).

vvv LOL you guys.
Last edited by Crooked Bee; December 8th, 2014 at 02:22.

Crooked Bee

Imma bee

+1:

December 8th, 2014, 02:05
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Can't say as I still didn't play it, but a reviewer says his top 5 games list contain DA2. That's what I was asking about.
This reviewer obviously hasn't played too many rpgs.
Dragon Age 2 wasn't terrible, but it certainly doesn't deserve to be on anyone's top 5,10, or 20 list. I'd give it a solid 5 out of 10… One boring town with too many repeating locations.

Vindicator

Primordial Dragon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

December 8th, 2014, 02:24
hahah now thats a memorable way to end your review

Dez

Man with the hat
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

December 8th, 2014, 02:34
Originally Posted by Nameless one View Post
I agree with Corwin all those game deserve to be played and I would also add Paper sorcerer to that list.
Paper Sorcerer has very bad level design and you always use the same strategies. Worth a look but definitely flawed.
--
Your Heavenly Father loves you and wants you to come to repentance

Originally Posted by Ephesians 5:11
And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

Humanity has risen!

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

December 8th, 2014, 06:36
Originally Posted by Vindicator View Post
Dragon Age 2 wasn't terrible, but it certainly doesn't deserve to be on anyone's top 5,10, or 20 list. I'd give it a solid 5 out of 10… One boring town with too many repeating locations.
…he's trolling so hard. He knows DA2 isn't good. It is such a brilliant joke because he spends countless paragraphs talking about all these critical RPG virtues only to end with implying DA2 is his standard. Masterclass troll to those who don't know RPG Codex and hilariously funny ending to those of us who do.

For the record…some people actually think DA2 is a classic…those people are silly folk.

Brumbek

Keeper of the Watch

December 8th, 2014, 11:18
Originally Posted by Brumbek View Post
For the record…some people actually think DA2 is a classic…those people are silly folk.
When DA2 came out I had 2roommates. I played computer RPG's and they Call of Duty on consoles. Needless to say they loved Dragon Age 2, proclaimed they were now RPG fans, tried another game or two and went back to shooters. To me that best describes DA2.
--
The insane King of Orilios, Spazz Maticus.
-Heroes of Might and Magic IV

Embolus

Watchdog

+1:

December 8th, 2014, 12:28
I bough Grimrock2 on GoG, have yet to play it though, probably the next on the list..
Considering where the game comes from I'm quite amazed how good the Screenshots look.

Thorwyn99

Watchdog

December 8th, 2014, 20:59
Originally Posted by Embolus View Post
When DA2 came out I had 2roommates. I played computer RPG's and they Call of Duty on consoles. Needless to say they loved Dragon Age 2, proclaimed they were now RPG fans, tried another game or two and went back to shooters. To me that best describes DA2.
Thanks for sharing this! Part of the trouble with DA2 is it plays poorly on KB/M but actually shines on controllers since it obviously is meant to fast-paced XYAB button mashing. In honesty, I can't blame your roommates for loving DA2. It has a lot to love and streamlines the RPG experience. I actually think if they had created more unique environments and made the enemies spawn from actual doors, DA2 would have been received so much better.

The funny thing about your story is I'm a huge Call of Duty fan, and I'm not ashamed to say it. I'm playing Advanced Warfare on PC and loving it. I also, naturally, am a huge RPG fan. So in this regard, I suppose I'm qualified to judge DA2 on both sides. Sadly, it falls in this awkward middle of being not good enough for a serious action game or a serious RPG.

Anyway, I actually am really enjoying playing DA2 right now. I'm near the end and I have enjoyed it…despite it being objectively so vastly inferior to quality RPGs. DA2 is a rushed, cheap, lazy RPG…but the story and pacing makes it pretty fun to play…especially when it only cost $5.

Brumbek

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Legend of Grimrock 2 - Review @ RPG Codex