Gothic Remake - New Studio: Alkimia Interactive

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Yemeth spotted THQ Nordic's new studio Alkimia Interactive:

Alkimia Interactive to develop Gothic Remake

Barcelona, Spain / Vienna, Austria, March 11th, 2021: Today THQ Nordic announces the incorporation of its new studio, Alkimia Interactive in Barcelona, Spain. After the Gothic Remake project was greenlit the next step was to fully set up a studio subsidiary.

In Summer 2020 the studio started operations and began bringing together a team of passionate RPG developers. Since then, the studio has set up an office in the heart of Barcelona. The team is constantly growing and is still looking for developers to join the family. More information about Alkimia Interactive can be found on the official website - there are still a few positions open: https://www.alkimiainteractive.com/

The team's focus and ambition is to build high-quality RPGs, with its first project being the full development of the Gothic Remake for PC and Next-Gen consoles. Development is well on its way and the first results from all of the hard work the team has put in will be revealed in the next couple of months. "We strive to build Alkimia Interactive as a top-notch RPG studio", said Reinhard Pollice, Studio Head at Alkimia Interactive. "Our ambition is to become one of the best addresses for PC/Console core game development in Southern Europe."

More information.

Talk about an ambitious project!!! I wish them well, should they do a good job they'll likely have a serious hit on their collective hands. Something for us all to look forward to in...what, three to five years? Mayhaps a bit longer, me thinks.

We discussed about remakes recently because of the Rock Paper Shotgun article. It's worth noting that in the survey THQ Nordic made last year, it's actually the potential customers who marked their preference for a remake:
- 60.3% preferred a remake of Gothic
- 17.6% preferred a sequel
- 11.6% preferred a prequel

But they're fans of the Gothic games since they were asked to participate to the survey after the release of their teaser demo. And the choice was restricted. So it's a biased population.

Still, they had the choice between new content or same content.

So, is this related to the Gothic remake demo that was put out, or is this a fresh attempt?

So, is this related to the Gothic remake demo that was put out, or is this a fresh attempt?

Same people, although I'm sure the team has expanded since then. The teaser demo was supposedly just to gauge fan interest and receive feedback. They claim a full remake will be significantly different.

Piranha Bytes has been doing remakes of the original Gothic 1 during their entire existence. Why people wanna see another Gothic 1 remake, when all PB games are remakes ad infinitum?

"In the heart of Barcelona"—that must be some of the most expensive real estate in Western Europe. Why on earth would you build a game studio there?!

Well the graphics can only get better. Hopefully they'll also enhance the engine and the game play.

Kinda misleading it's the same unnamed studio that was developing the game for a year just with an official name that's it. So nothing to see here and cant wait to play it.

Well the graphics can only get better. Hopefully they'll also enhance the engine and the game play.
This is from 2019 so yeah new engine and everything else.

Gothic Playable Teaser vs. Gothic - Comparison Video

Gothic Remake - Gameplay Demo No Commentary

"In the heart of Barcelona"—that must be some of the most expensive real estate in Western Europe. Why on earth would you build a game studio there?!
Well real state in Barcelona is extremely high indeed, especially for locals, but for a big company might not be such a big difference. Especially now in pandemic times they probably don't need big offices. Anyway I don't think Barcelona is very different to other European capitals like London or Paris, and they host plenty of studios as well.

On the other hand employee salaries in Spain must be one of the lowest in Western Europe.

On top of that the city is very attractive to live in, so some people might be very eager to move there (that Reinhard Pollice studio lead doesn't sound like very Spaniard to me). If I remember correctly Paradox opened a new studio recently in Barcelona as well with a foreign (Swedish?) leader, so might be a trend that some high roles in these companies are promoting opening these studios to allow themselves moving to some pleasant locations.

Yeah, in London residential property is insanely expensive. But some commercial space is quite reasonable. I needed a bit of office space a few years ago, and rented a couple of rooms in an old building remarkably cheaply. I think for some businesses, especially media companies of any kind, many consider it worth it for being where there's a hub of talent, and supporting industries.

A city I love that has a booming tech scene is Lisbon. I'm not sure how things are now, but a couple of years ago it was going really well for them. Lovely small city, with historical character, a great vibe, and nice weather. Had that feeling of a city on the up, attracting all the bright young things.

Yeah, in London residential property is insanely expensive. But some commercial space is quite reasonable. I needed a bit of office space a few years ago, and rented a couple of rooms in an old building remarkably cheaply. I think for some businesses, especially media companies of any kind, many consider it worth it for being where there's a hub of talent, and supporting industries.
Wasn't there a project to convert the big iconic Battersea Power Station into offices & flats? Not sure those are meant to be cheap though. Is this still an ongoing project?

Wasn't there a project to convert the big iconic Battersea Power Station into offices & flats? Not sure those are meant to be cheap though. Is this still an ongoing project?

Yes, there's been many failed attempts for decades, but this time they seem to have finally sorted it out. It's apparently going to be Apple's new European headquarters, along with lots of other businesses. Definitely not going to be any sort of bargains in there, though!

As long as they keep what the original had and many today's openworlds cannot - an openworld with not a single loadscreen - I'm buying.

"Our ambition is to become one of the best addresses for PC/Console core game development in Southern Europe."
Interesting.
Does anyone have an overview of the current top developers in southern Europe? I have no idea where the european devs are located (with a few exceptions).
Would be nice to know what they're actually aiming for.

I personally don't find the appeal in remakes when they could make a brand new game, even if using the same setting and game systems. Either way, for all the Golthic fans out there, hope the game does actually release and it's as good as you hope for.

I will be all over this if it's any good. I'm a big G2 fan, but actually never gotten round to finishing G1 and I find it hard to stomach its crude 3D graphics now.

Back
Top Bottom