Dark Alliance - 20 Minutes of Gameplay

Yikes this game looks like a terrible mess. The AI seems clueless, the collision detection is all over the place, animations have an amateurish feeling and are desynced… all the apples put in the "let's play Drizzt cus it's cool" basket and nothing else.

You can count me as someone that will avoid even thinking that there was an action DnD game called Dark Alliance that got released in 2021.

I can't believe they've been making us believe that it took 20 years to make the next Baldur's Gate because they wanted the right studio to carry on the legacy of a great IP, while they are peddling the most iconic DnD party around like this.

It's an DnD action game enough said. If all you like are Turn-based or RTwP versions of DnD then I'm afraid say the game is not for you. Just move on and play BG III.

I also remember playing the PS2 versions which were action games.

Yup, not for me. That's fine, the turn based games are being pumped out so quickly now I scarcely have a chance to visit classics these days! Who knows, perhaps this might even get the ye-olde turn-based upgrade at some point! =p

And no, that's not a complaint. Far from it =)

I really enjoyed the original Dark Alliance games - though there was much less choice in games back in those days. This seems like it could be an ok third person reimagining of it - though I agree the AI does not look good and I hate the camera shake (hopefully that can be turned off). Hopefully the game is still to get more polish and improvements… it could be worth keeping an eye imo.

To be fair, I'm not even ranting about it not being a proper RPG. My post is about how bad it is even as an action game, and how little respect it shows for the lore of the setting. It's true there are older Dark Alliance games that probably weren't much better, action button-mashers with little to no story behind, but seeing that gameplay with Drizzt, Bruenor and company, together with the bits we saw about the beholder is kinda insulting and diminishing for the whole IP.

To be fair, I'm not even ranting about it not being a proper RPG. My post is about how bad it is even as an action game, and how little respect it shows for the lore of the setting. It's true there are older Dark Alliance games that probably weren't much better, action button-mashers with little to no story behind, but seeing that gameplay with Drizzt, Bruenor and company, together with the bits we saw about the beholder is kinda insulting and diminishing for the whole IP.

Wasn't the Dark Alliance 2 story quite cool?

Ok look, I want to beleive the developers have read all 30+ books, but honestly, I'm not seeing the expected iconic moves for each character... The characters do have some kool looking attacks, but understand, we want their iconic moves too, and we wanmt to make a big deal out of them... like Drizzt needs to be doing his corkscrew attacks and his center kick beneath parries, Wulfgar needs to be throwing Aegis Fang, and when he does, its massive damage and we expect that hammer to disappear and reappear in his hand... Cattie Brie, I actually approve of her moves, as her moves aren't really that detailed from the books, and Bruener, he needs more shield bashes. more defined strength behind his swings, and a shit ton of life, cause he never goes down... and these are just a few ideas... I dont know, i wish this game the best of luck, cause what I really want, is a movie about these characters... LOL

This footage looks a little better than my impression from that first trailer, but I still wouldn't consider getting it.

The goblins/orcs look very Peter Jackson-ish. :)

Looks like a competent enough hack 'n' slash game, much like the originals [but flashed up for current gen, obv].
The type of game where I'll wait for bargain basement prices and buy a couple of copies for the co-op roster.

Well I recognize the characters from the old Icewind Dale books, but that's about as close to the table-top game as it gets. Plenty of flashy effects and dodge moves, but in the end it's mostly about grinder skirmishes. There's barely a hint of teamwork.

Boring. If I wanted this kind of crap I'd play a MMO like Neverwinter. It looks linear and uninteresting.

Maybe it could be ok if the camera shakes were turned off and the strange snapy camera. But i guess it's online game?! So it doesn't even get on my radar thx to that single reason.

I thought that game is free to play, they just abuse you all the way to the Forgotten Realms with paid DLCs that give you access to all the cool characters and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom