What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I also saw the recent Suicide Squad, and think the first was better, although neither was great, imo. Logan and Joker were decent, yet if I ever rewatch superhero flicks, I'll likely pick ones like Unbreakable and Watchmen. Or, better yet, stick to the much-better comics.

Have you seen Watchmen? If not, you should give that one a try. It's also quite different than the typical superhero flick. Unlike most of them, it feels like it was actually made for adults.

Yeah, I saw Watchmen when it first came out. I liked it quite a bit, but I can't remember much. I remember loving Rorschach.

I tried watching the tv series, since I heard good stuff about it, but for some reason, I think due to the political climate, it felt like too much of a cheap attempt at taking advantage of said political climate. Even though I agree with the general sentiment of the political climate. But I hate when corporations capitalize on that, knowing full well they have no ideology. In other instances I probably wouldnt't have noticed as much, but in this one something really felt off. And it's wierd, I generally really like Damon Lindelof's work (LOST and Leftovers).

I tried watching the tv series, since I heard good stuff about it, but for some reason, I think due to the political climate, it felt like too much of a cheap attempt at taking advantage of said political climate. Even though I agree with the general sentiment of the political climate. But I hate when corporations capitalize on that, knowing full well they have no ideology.

Absolutely agree. I didn't care for the tv series much. Not just for that reason though. I also didn't feel like the writing or acting was on the same level. Jeremy Irons was excellent though.

I also saw the recent Suicide Squad, and think the first was better, although neither was great, imo. Logan and Joker were decent, yet if I ever rewatch superhero flicks, I'll likely pick ones like Unbreakable and Watchmen. Or, better yet, stick to the much-better comics.

I'm surprised you're lukewarm on Logan. I thought it was a terrific film - a great western disguised as a comic movie.

I was subjected to Jungle Cruise. Oh, what fresh Hell is this?! Ordinary citizens need to take up Hollywood screenwriting - loads of it would be better than this tripe! The actors try their best, but damn…

Didn't watch the new Suicide Squad. Yet. I will.
But I hated the first one and I loathe everyone's favorite japanese trash&grindhouse copycat loco bitch.
Because I couldn't stand her, I refused to watch some spinoff movie with her can't remember it's title.
Dunno if she returns in the new SS, but if she does, I'll hate it too.

After the initial masterpiece trilogy the only good x-men movie is Logan.
Dunno why some hate it, I love it. The rest x-men movies are worse rubbish than Disney's stuff from this century.

And I did watch Jungle Cruise.
The Rock and Emily Blunt saved it from being unwatchable. Too bad there was no chemistry in that romance, but in other scenes both did a great job.
The rest of the cast, heros and villains, all are boring and irritating thanks to one of the most stupid Disney scripts that exists.

Disney is again turning the audience into monkeys and here is hope there will be a day when people will start boycotting that company for paninducing dumb scenarios. Who writes that stuff? Kindergarden kids would do it better.

I thought I'd never say in future I'd rather watch another Warner's dreck or low effort and lower budget Vertical's rubbish than anything made by Disney.
Even the dumbest and worst SyFy channel stories feel like a Shakespeare compared to Disney's bullshittery.

And don't get me started on overused "gosh" nonsense. Or whatever changed word it was.
Either swear properly or don't at all.

-----------------------------------------

Forgot to add a suggestion.
It's a taiwanese movie Who Killed Cock Robin.

The movie is a mosaic where you need to stay concentrated (not too much though) because every detail and every scene matters.
It's a web of so many overlapping mysteries, each leading to another, usually not good, outcome.
It's you who are the detective puzzlesolving stuff, the main protagonist is merely a journalist with some obvious and some hidden agendas.

With numerous twists and enough of suspense this one is a thriller bombon that I cannot recommend to the wide audience.
It is a love letter to thrillerworms.
So if you are experienced with thrillers, find it, you'll love it's structure.
If not, do please brush your skills with thrillers for beginners, for example greek Eteros Ego before risking your sanity with the taiwanese gem.
Definetly don't watch it while sleepy or when easily distracted (by a wife, husband, lover or all three of them ;)).

Last edited:
I watched a extremely odd film last night entitled, "Frances Ferguson." It's a rather sad tale of a teacher that has a very inappropriate relationship with a student. Even if you can get over the subject matter, I had a few issues with the premise. First of all, the sex offender is portrayed as actually being quite smart, so it's difficult to imagine she'd made such an error in judgement, regardless of how despicable her husband is (and he is).
The criminal is likable in some ways, yet I think the movie attempts to portray her as the victim, and I think that's where it simply lost me. If there's anyone in the movie I feel sorry for it's the child involved (and poor thing indeed, on top of having a registered sex offender for a mum, some fool named her Parfait....I mean, wtf, why not name her Jello or something else equally creative). Has anyone else seen this?

Sorry but no.
I've seen perhaps too many asian movies tackling teacher-student relationships in different ways, but as they look 20 even when 50 it rarely feels awkward on screen.

That does not mean I like the topic, in fact I find it irritating. But they often put it as a sidestory in a movie or series so I'm kinda used to it.

If you want to try one of those where it's the main story, My Teacher is kinda okay to watch as actors when filmed it were 33 and 20.
Less romantic, in fact totally opposite is Innocent Crush. Under the possible crush something else is hidden.
And if you really want to see a total mess of it with NSFW scenes that would be Roundabout, the Shortest Distance Is Round. Keep away from this one if you're not at least 21 (disturbing content). For some reason it has two different endings.

Last edited:
LOL no.

If you ever get brave to explore worldwide cinema some more, you'll be amazed how many nontypical topics are covered outside of Hollywood and all in different ways.
You'll also spot that sex scenes are very rare - these movies don't need escaping boobs to sell.

I braved the avante garde during the seventies and eighties in some theatres in NYC and Baltimore that had more rodents than customers in them. I'd also say the animal life present smelled better than most of the humans nearby!

And saw some great flicks during those days. Going non-mainstream has been my theme for most of my life.

Has anyone else seen this?

No, but as @joxer; says, it's actually a very common premise. I can't say I've seen many of them but I've seen a couple. If you want to watch one that's as much a mystery-style period piece as anything else then I'd recommend Doubt (2008) starring the late great Philip Seymour Hoffman under perpetual suspicion from the also great but not late Meryl Streep. This one was nominated for 5 Oscars.

I wasn't aware it was so common, honestly these days I stick mostly to movies that I know won't disappoint me, rather than watching more recent fare. I do enjoy both Streep and Hoffman so I'll check out the film you mentioned, thank you. -)

This might be fun.

Speaking of films that bring out the great feelings, I watched the original Highlander last night. It's still great, I enjoyed every moment. I don't care for the other Highlander films, yet the television series is fairly decent, although it has its fair share of lemon episodes. I've never re-watched the telly show, might have to do that sometime.

Highlander was a good, original idea. Good choice of actors too, they fit well in their roles. I haven't watched it in decades, has it aged well?

The first movie is the only one which left a lasting impression.

Ehh....and I say this as a huge fan of the first movie, it truly is still well worth watching, at least for the most part. If special effects are the sole reason a person enjoys a movie, they might want to skip Highlander, as those seem a tad weak to me. And yes Red, the casting is really well done, from the main cast to the peripheral folk, they really make the world seem honest and interactive.

I'm wondering if that's possible to live that long, survive all these wars and petty battles, and not be utterly disappointed and disillusioned by the human race. Or bored to death ;)

Christopher Lambert is one of the worst popular actors I have ever seen, so that alone means that for me that Highlander does not have a good cast.

Back
Top Bottom