Mr. Potato.

Seems I will need to go to Codex for news?! :(
That place is only good for trolling.

If it's just news you're interested in then the best place to visit is a site called Gamebanshee:

http://www.gamebanshee.com

About 10 years ago it had a thriving forum but gradually died to just a handful of regular posters. A couple of years back Buck (the owner) revamped the site, making foruming dead for about 6 months, and when it returned everyone had left - apart from this one guy called Gawain who will gladly argue with you about any RPG ever made if you need a forum chat fix.

The site has solid news activity though and most news articles generate a lot of comments if you like news plus comments. Buck is a well known kinda-legend in the RPG world and the site is an extremely well respected one within the genre.

The only reason to go to the codex is for the 'trolling', it's not about going there and having to put-up with trolling as a side effect, you go there for the trolling and then have to put up with people talking about games as a side-effect.

Buck is a well known kinda-legend in the RPG world
Never heard of him. Then again, I don't belong to mainstream RPG world. :D

From GameBanshee I knew only Brother None, and he left to join Inxile "ages" ago.

Last edited:
ooops what a mess….

I thought it looked quite clean compared to this place. Rpg Watch got a huge boost when they started up due to the demise of Rpgdot. The community was already there, they just needed a place to go. Maybe Couch's site will make it, maybe not but it won't be because he won't be tirelessly posting newsbits. It will take time.

I joined Couch's place right away. As far as the other snide comments about Aubrielle,Fluent and Couch, they(those assistant editors just mentioned) have made this place so much more interesting for the last year or so. Usually the people making stupid and snide comments need to back to the Codex. As the saying goes, you don't know what you got til it's gone. I look forward to having a more opened minded place to hang out.

As far as the other snide comments about Aubrielle,Fluent and Couch, they(those assistant editors just mentioned) have made this place so much more interesting for the last year or so. Usually the people making stupid and snide comments need to back to the Codex.

Excuse me for being the resident nit-picker at the moment, I'm not normally, but I guess all these dramas and politicisations are exactly the right kind of bait for my pedantic side. Anyway, on with the nit-pick:

The phrase which ends "need to go back to the codex" is, in fact, by the definition of the word, a stupid snide comment. It implies that people who disagree with you about something belong in a certain arena and people who agree with you on a specific matter belong in your arena - aka: polarisation - when Mythos has gone to great lengths in the threads on this topic to say that the beauty of the Watch is its relative freedom from the extremities of polarisation.

So, here you are complaining about stupid snide comments while making stupid snide comments all within the context of an attitude that the site owner disagrees with on principle. This site's primary snide commenter wouldn't tough the Codex with a bargepole if their life depended on it and are no doubt as equally offended by your stance as you are by comments directed at whomever you wish to defend.

On the topic of people saying nasty things about couch, other than the guy Mythos responded to with aplomb, I really haven't seen much aggro towards Couch or any of the people who suddenly wish to jump ship and, to be completely honest, I've had more aggro from the people leaving than anyone else on the forum - but I still don't begrudge them leaving nor wish them ill, but, obviously, from my point of view, it just means I get less snide and stupid comments directed at me in the future - so why would I have anything remarkably positive to say about a guy who just thumbs up everyone who insults me and never engages me in forum conversation. Even though I haven't yet, I feel sure any normal human being wouldn't begrudge me to make a snide comment on this topic. I guess the reason I don't is because I haven't a clue what the guy's problem is, just as I have no idea what your problem is, because no-one ever says, hence some people are commenting on that.

You reply with a hypocratic notion. I'm forced to nit-pik. Sorry.

Yes, please, there's no need to be rude. I think, if you really want to leave, that we could end up convincing DU to open a special subforum, a place where you could feel more confortable, and that would make the transition easier for you. Maybe they could even disable brofists there (I'm not sure about this, I don't know anything about XenForo, sorry).

Maybe, but as I say, I'm not sure about the technical stuff, this sub-forum could even have a "Light color scheme". My eyes are not used to that much brightness, but I can picture people who would like to use it, and in the end, the whole point of this would be to make things nice and easy for everyone.

These are just thoughts, and there's a lot of work to do as you can see, but I do believe that you will be able to save something after all.

I think Couchpotato will be sorely missed, and I hope they can find someone who was in his league to replace him. As far as I'm concerned, he was the anchor and lead "face" of this site for a long time. He did a phenomenal job, but I can understand if he got burnt out and felt under appreciated.

I'm going to rant a bit now, so fair warning.

He got flak for posting a request for donations, and I was baffled why some people were complaining about it, talk about being petty. If you don't want to give money to someone requesting it for all the hard work they are doing, then don't. Easy-peasy. But to then complain about it in threads, that strikes me as being a vindictive, petty and nosy person. It's none of your business if a rpg news site editor is requesting money, no one forces you to donate. I also saw attacks on couchpotato, and hell, this would have pissed me off too, if I had been in his position, of working long hours for free, and then seeing busy-bodies whining and crying about asking for a donation...Rant Ended.

I gladly donated to him, as did several others.

@Arkadia7

I donated some bucks for Couch, too, because I appreciate his work as a news poster. At the same time I felt uncomfortable, because we have a great RPGWatch team: Gorath, Corwin, Arhu, Myrthos, deteowner, Aries100, Jaz et al. . Why donating money only to one person and not to the others?
All should be treated equal. In future I'll donate only for the RPGWatch server costs as every year and the occasional RPGWatch Kickstarter…

HiddenX, I remember seeing you in that thread too, and I'm glad you donated, along with all the others who did so to express their appreciation for couchpotato's work.

I simply and respectfully disagree with you, in that by donating to him, we were somehow disrespecting others in charge or who also work for rpg watch. I don't think that at all.

If they also want to ask for donations, I would gladly consider it. But I think couch deserved it because of all the good work he did, bottom line.

I suspect this may be a difference on philosophy or outlook, if you are European, but I don't think "all should be treated equal". I just don't buy into that, sorry.

But not everyone is equal, HiddenX. Harsh maybe, but true. Did anyone else put as much time into the site as he did the past few years? Maybe Arhu? I don't have much visibility about what happens behind the scenes, though.

EDIT: Ah, Arkadia7 beat me to it. :)

EDIT 2: And sorry, HiddenX, I know you've put alot of time into the site as well. :)

Naturally the team members have a bit more insight into why Couch left and what kind of dynamics were going on.

It's clear that the primary news poster spends the most time. Others might do more for a couple of days, but over the years there can't be any two opinions about this.

Couch felt underappreciated and quite often attacked. He posted this in the public forum too, so I think I can confirm it without being indiscrete.

@Thrasher

Arhu does ALL the html-tech work - just look at the CRPG Analyzer for example.

Myrthos was organizing the D:OS Kickstarter and runs the servers.

Corwin, Jaz, Gorath, dteowner are very good moderators and reviewers.

Users like Forgottenlor have written some good reviews as well.

I have bought, played and tested nearly 200 games for the RPGWatch Steam curation list.

Many Watchers do something good for the Watch - voluntarily - a key principle when RPGWatch was founded.

If they also want to ask for donations, I would gladly consider it. But I think couch deserved it because of all the good work he did, bottom line.

I suspect this may be a difference on philosophy or outlook, if you are European, but I don't think "all should be treated equal". I just don't buy into that, sorry.

RPGWatch has been asking for donations for years. See the button near the top-right? ;)
You misunderstood Hx though. He didn't mean a donation for the whole team or single team members. Our received donations are used exclusively to maintain the infrastructure. If we have more than we need, it's passed on to the next year. The editors don't get financial compensation for their work. Even visiting shows like the GamesCom is paid out of their own pockets.

Thanks for pointing that out to me, Gorath. I will definitely plan on donating to the site via that route when I have some extra money. The link is kind of small, subtle and not very noticeable, but that is in a way a good thing, and now that I know about it, I plan on giving a donation. :thumbsup:

If it's just news you're interested in then the best place to visit is a site called Gamebanshee:

http://www.gamebanshee.com

About 10 years ago it had a thriving forum but gradually died to just a handful of regular posters. A couple of years back Buck (the owner) revamped the site, making foruming dead for about 6 months, and when it returned everyone had left - apart from this one guy called Gawain who will gladly argue with you about any RPG ever made if you need a forum chat fix.

The site has solid news activity though and most news articles generate a lot of comments if you like news plus comments. Buck is a well known kinda-legend in the RPG world and the site is an extremely well respected one within the genre.

The only reason to go to the codex is for the 'trolling', it's not about going there and having to put-up with trolling as a side effect, you go there for the trolling and then have to put up with people talking about games as a side-effect.
That is too mainstream for me and I don't much care for other genres.

Also the site is terribly slow and almost unusable for me on a phone…

Are you sure it's not your service or phone?

I do probably 80% of my post on phone or tablet and never have a problem with speed.

I do however lose too many post do to being logged out while posting and then the page refreshes and ask me to log in. Very frustrating, I try to remember to copy my post but forget sometime.

Phones are evil, I'm repeating it for years, yet noone believes me. :evilgrin:

I don't recall one person complaining about Kevin(Mr. Potato) asking for some funds for beer and pizza. Please show me where someone did this?

Back
Top Bottom