Watch Dogs Legion looks pretty damn interesting

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch
PCG sloppy as usual, video taken off (DMCA I bet).

For those interested:

My opinion is that WD1 was rubbish, WD2 is a mustplay, but am still unsure about this third game.
Of course if I buy it I'm gonna play as evil grandma of doom. :D

For some reason it's not loading, jox

https://youtu.be/3orYqGDSDUk

Definitely most interesting thing they've done, since god knows how long. That part when granny is knocking people out is hysterical.
Looks also lot more immersive ( without their usual UI clutter).

Immersive? Whatever, I have no idea what does that mean, then again EA announced Sims 4 expansion with islands and sea so I'm pretty sure diving is included there too.

Onscreen clutter was never my problem with ubi games, it was the enormous amount of filler on the world map that was annoying. If you played WD1 you'd see the exact horror on WD1 world map. WD2 world map is completely different. Sure, there are hidden things to loot everywhere, but instead of 100 things scattered so you're practically doing cowclicker from one to another crap, WD2 puts just one thing in a biggish area where you don't waste time on irrelevance. I'm pretty sure they'll keep that style for WD3 too.

YouTube's aren't loading for me, either. <shrug>

The game does look mighty interesting. Granny really stole the show!

P.S. Bobo done heckletized me! Hey, why doesn't my spell check recognize that word? ;)

Edit: YouTube's are loading again! W00t!

Last edited:
Ubisoft really are good at doing cities. I walk around some of those areas, and they've got it pretty spot on, right down to small details. The first character was a bit "Cor blimey, Mary Poppins", but the killer granny saved it.

I liked the little bit I played of the first game, and I plan on going back to it someday, but I'm hesitant to get excited about Legions.

I'm not sure I'd find it very immersive to constantly be jumping from one character to another. That, and it's Ubisoft, and I end up disappointed by 90% of their games no matter how cool they look. :)

Man, if you want to torture yourself buy the real iron maiden and spend some time in it.
Forget you have the trash game and buy (and play asap) the sequel.

About disappointment in Ubi games, I had some more than just WD1. For example overrated junk everyone except me is recommending, AC4. I have no idea how that gaming industry atrocity became a bestseller - it's the second worst AC game (on PC).
Another example is Heroes of M&M 7. Unbelievable boredom. 6 wasn't so bad except a couple of maps where trashmobs respawn indefinetly so I've expected more from it. Turned out 7 was just a cheap cash in.

On E3, EA presented Immersive Sim DLC for Sims 4 (okay it's actual title is Island life or something but as it's immersive of course it features diving).
If you were another company trying to take a part of the cake only EA holds for decades, what would you do?
How would you make another Sims game that isn't Sims clone?

Bobo noted in the first post WD3 suspiciously looks as a sort of Sims hybrid.
From the video presentation it's uncler to what extent the Sims part goes. Just as in Sims, all "dolls" have different skills and probably different characters (traits), but we still don't know if we'll be able to build houses, buy gadgets and vehicles, "troll the ingame forums" (yes, sims 4 has this), etc. If Ubi in some upcoming announcements discloses this and it turns out to be a Sims game about a sort of friends (and perhaps lovers) and not about families, plus if it turns out not rated PEGI/ESRB kindergarden, I'm gonna preorder it.

30 minutes gameplay - why I can't play this game today?!

That does look fun! Bagley's got some nasty voice acting in spots but they've got time to clean that up. Looks like there's only 20 slots at 14:47, I wonder if that's the max? Can I take over Scotland Yard by recruiting everybody that works there?

I wonder if we could run into and recruit Ripper? ;)
This sounds like it would provide good 20-30 hours of interesting fun, until procedural generated feel wears it out.
Not sure this is something I'd like "core" of game to be built around, but they're definitely doing something here other open world games could look into. Civilians are rarely anything more than ambiance fodder.

I don't know. the recruiting thing is cool but after that it's still just the same old hack the camera or drone to find your objective and then wade through the brain dead enemies.

They really need to improve the AI. Also wondering if the have a plan to make you care about your recruits so you try to keep them alive or if they'll just be replinishable cannon fodder.

Yeah, I wonder what happens to characters when you recruit better ones? Do they get a "thank you for your service" and then the little ear piece magically turns to dust? Do they get free tickets to Australia where they can wait for the revolution to complete? Does Bagley call them back to HQ and eat them?
What's procedurally generated? The characters?
Well those clearly are - there's way too many to do by hand. I wonder if the missions they request are, too, or if there's just a barrel full of them and the NPC just pulls one out?

I wonder if we could run into and recruit Ripper? ;)
Ubi promised we can recruit absolutely every single NPC. If it happens that special (outside of mission) NPCs cannot be recruited then they lied and should prepare for community outrage. While officially there are no NPC based on RPGwatch members, expect mods.
That does look fun! Bagley's got some nasty voice acting in spots but they've got time to clean that up. Looks like there's only 20 slots at 14:47, I wonder if that's the max? Can I take over Scotland Yard by recruiting everybody that works there?
This sounds like it would provide good 20-30 hours of interesting fun, until procedural generated feel wears it out.
What's procedurally generated? The characters?
NPCs are all randomly generated except perhaps some main story ones. And I have absolutely no idea what tech they've used for voiceovers all random NPCs have. As you might have seen in demo presentation, NPCs you recruit aren't silent.
"Journalists" didn't ask so we don't know if there is a recruits cap.
Also wondering if the have a plan to make you care about your recruits so you try to keep them alive or if they'll just be replinishable cannon fodder.
There is a trait some NPCs have: "may die randomly". So... I don't think saving everyone is possible.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/here-is-how-permadeath-works-in-watch_dogs-legion/
yesterday, Ubisoft’s creative director Clint Hocking shared some more details about the game’s permadeath mechanics.

“Permadeath is always an opt-in gamble for the player. When your health goes to ‘zero’ you enter the critically injured state. At this point you are always offered the opportunity to Surrender, and be sent to jail. You can systemically free Operatives who have been sent to jail, or wait for them to be released. But if you choose not to Surrender, and Keep Fighting, then you are risking Permadeath.”
Before iron mode whatnot lovers spit on this design, I have to say I like the idea.

Why? Assuming you've recruited a worthless operative and there is no "retire" option, well, take them on a mission and "keep fighting". On the other hand, the assassin granny, cmon, we can't let her die ever, right?

Granny Assassin shouldn't be a problem. Just hack her prison records to say she had already been there for 50 years. Everyone will believe it. We'll have her out before she has time to iron her sheets.

Yea, but you know there are members on this forum who play games only if there is a "permadeath" mode in.

Only the player's character permadeath of course. The constant revival of trashmobs is also mandatory. :)

Trashmobs never die, they just go to hell to regroup.

I guess I'm missing the appeal.

I always kinda liked the concept. But I think I originally expected Watch Dogs to be some sort of open world Deus Ex. Sadly, it turned out to be an inferior GTA with a different skin.

This doesn't look much better, honestly.

Thankfully, we have CP2077 coming up.

Back
Top Bottom