Blizzard - Multiple Diablos in the Works

Given the huge amount of revenue earned thru just wow subscribers alone, I've always wondered why new Blizzard titles/releases are so few and far between. Developers with far less resources produce more games than they do.
It's the Blizzard Motto.:biggrin:

"It's done when its damn well done."

So expect anywhere from 7-9 year development cycles.

Well that but don t forget WOW milking, and remakes of old games.

But hey it works and made them millions if not billions.:greedy:

Hum. I thought the original starcraft and warcraft 1/2 only took a few years; though if I remember correctly it took years to get all three starcraft 2 stories finished; for the effort they really weren't that great.

Hum. I thought the original starcraft and warcraft 1/2 only took a few years; though if I remember correctly it took years to get all three starcraft 2 stories finished; for the effort they really weren't that great.
Yep took them ten years to make Starcraft 2 because of WOW, and the failed Titan MMO. I used to be excited by this developer, but the charm has faded for me at least.

I was thinking of the gap between episode 1 and episode 3; but i'm too lazy to look up the exact period; or perhaps that is what you are referencing.

Yep took them ten years to make Starcraft 2 because of WOW, and the failed Titan MMO. I used to be excited by this developer, but the charm has faded for me at least.

But hey it works and made them millions if not billions.:greedy:

Math check. At wow's peak they had ~12m subscribers. Today it's claimed to be somewhere between 3-5m. Wow's been around for 14 years. Let's take the average of 3 and 12 which is 7.5m subscribers. At $15 per month, that comes to $15 x 7.5m=$112.5m PER MONTH. Per year, that comes to a whopping $1,350,000,000. Now let's just cut that number in half to account for expenses and it comes to $675m per year. Let's now cut that number in half, just for shits and giggles to ~$337m PER YEAR.

These numbers are crazy nuts for a developer that quite literally trickles out new content. Or maybe my math is all wrong? Or missing something?

Math check. At wow's peak they had ~12m subscribers. Today it's claimed to be somewhere between 3-5m. Wow's been around for 14 years. Let's take the average of 3 and 12 which is 7.5m subscribers. At $15 per month, that comes to $15 x 7.5m=$112.5m PER MONTH. Per year, that comes to a whopping $1,350,000,000. Now let's just cut that number in half to account for expenses and it comes to $675m per year. Let's now cut that number in half, just for shits and giggles to ~$337m PER YEAR.

These numbers are crazy nuts for a developer that quite literally trickles out new content. Or maybe my math is all wrong? Or missing something?

They have made a lot of expansions for WOW and additional material for it as well. I'm guessing for a long period of time a good portion of their team was dedicated to WOW.

Given that blizzard is own by activision which is a public company you could check their sec filings to see reported revenue (vaguely I think they break some of it down by wow from various news report but not 100% sure) as a method to check your math. Then again you might not want to look as it is sure to be quite disgusting.

I was thinking of the gap between episode 1 and episode 3; but i'm too lazy to look up the exact period; or perhaps that is what you are referencing.
Hmm lets see Starcraft 2 was released July 27, 2010 followed by StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm on March 12, 2013, and StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void on November 10, 2015.

So StarCraft was released in 1995 so it took ten years to release part two, and another five years just to finish it. I call that milking at it's finest, but that's my opinion.

Last edited:
Given that blizzard is own by activision which is a public company you could check their sec filings to see reported revenue (vaguely I think they break some of it down by wow from various news report but not 100% sure) as a method to check your math. Then again you might not want to look as it is sure to be quite disgusting.
Thats an odd thing to say. Why is it disgusting?

diablo writing went to shit.
u cant play a game without having motivation
considering blizzard, if we are unable to predict what they will launch, it would mean something revolutionary happened to them

most likely its the MMo path scrolls fallout seem to take.
+ a singleplayer D4 thats D3 lookalike with new features and a remaster probably

doubt any of these are good. sigh. its sad to think about all that wasted money that came from D2 D3. thats the definition of evil. supporting trash to crerate more trash

Yikes, and here I thought I was the grumpy old git .... what a collection of "old man on the porch yelling at the world" posts :lol:

Like it or not Blizzard are making MASSIVELY successful games. Not all (if any) may be to your personal liking but whether it is an MMO, a card game, an RTS, an ARPG or a competitive online shooter, few companies are able to manage Blizzard's track record.

All this bile is quite unnecessary and, IMO, uncalled for. Blizzard knows how to make games that will sell, end of story.... Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Have a nice weekend :)

Yikes, and here I thought I was the grumpy old git …. what a collection of "old man on the porch yelling at the world" posts :lol:

Like it or not Blizzard are making MASSIVELY successful games. Not all (if any) may be to your personal liking but whether it is an MMO, a card game, an RTS, an ARPG or a competitive online shooter, few companies are able to manage Blizzard's track record.

All this bile is quite unnecessary and, IMO, uncalled for. Blizzard knows how to make games that will sell, end of story…. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Have a nice weekend :)
Sorry but no Blizzard has became irrelevant to me many years ago. They are like an old jaded has been rocker who refuses to retire, and keeps surviving on past fame.:p

Update: Forgot to add nice to see you replying as its been a while.:party:

Last edited:
Sorry but no Blizzard has became irrelevant to me many years ago. They are like an old jaded has been rocker who refuses to retire, and keeps surviving on past fame.:p

Sounds like you when you're moaning about stuff, Couch ;)

More and more like the old Couch we all know and love!

I can understand the Blizzard hate for changing someone's favourite game etc. I hate Bioware for that (not really..)! But I don't get Blizzard hate for their success, they made their billions pleasing lot of people! Is this a crime these days?

The Blizzard games I have played are Warcraft, WoW and Diablo 3. They were all pretty good and I had lot of fun out them. They were never ground breaking etc but they are like well made meal you have 100s of times before. So I don't expect anything more than that from them. I might even give the new WoW expansion a spin very soon… :)

To me, hate is an extreme feeling - and I find that feeling says a LOT more about the people holding it, especially when it's directed at a game developer who owes you zilch.

All this bile is quite unnecessary and, IMO, uncalled for. Blizzard knows how to make games that will sell, end of story…. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Have a nice weekend :)

The track record is not that clear. They have their failures. They also do not manage to maintain all their franchises. Diablo seems to be one on the decline.

I was done with Blizzard right after I tried their Warcraft online game. I think I lasted four or five days, found it terribly shallow and went straight back to Everquest. I've not touched a Blizzard product since, and I very much doubt that I ever will again. Their style just isn't for me, although I did enjoy some of their earlier games before the online stuff.

It is just that blizzard went the same as all the other big companies, target audience change more and more toward the main stream masses while leaving their old fans behind.

Sad to say I am one of those old fans and not longing for their new games anymore but a remaster of D1-2 would make me rather happy. I am still somewhat likely to buy a new game too just that I'd be doing so without expecting much.
While their quality have dropped significantly since they went into the MMO business it is still rare to see comparable quality from other companies.

Back
Top Bottom