The "I Just Bought" thread

Replaced my old wannabe race car with a new one.

I need a tune and exhaust now.

Attachments

• IMG_20160224_101742.jpg
    IMG_20160224_101742.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 160
"Misplaced Childhood" by Marillion. Because Fish currently does his "Farewell To Childhood" tour.

This:
a88bb8d0-1145-4f3a-a05d-501c1c5f3a5d.jpg

The mighty mug. It's a nice little gadget for coffee and other drinks. What's great about it is that it won't fall over if accidentally knocked into. Provided it's placed on a firm, non porous surface.

Great if you're sitting a your pc (trust me, I have killed a couple of keyboards, but hopefully not anymore).

Unfortunately the store didn't have the black version when I made my purchase, but I managed to avoid the pink one.

pibbur who regrettably has not been paid by anyone for saying this.

Wow, I didn't expect this thread to be so hard to find. Last post was september 2016? You guys stopped buying crap? ;)

Anyway, just wanted to say I recently went against my better judgment and bought myself an Oculus Rift with Touch controllers.

The good news is that the VR experience is actually quite beyond what I was expecting. It really DOES have the potential to change how we play games forever.

I started playing Doom BFG in VR - and I just couldn't take it. Simply too scary!

The bad news is that we're not QUITE there yet. Mostly, that's about software support. There's not a single proper VR-dedicated AAA game out there. Sure, there are games marketing themselves as such, like the recent Robo Rekall (which is very impressive and fun, btw.) - but it's really quite a limited game - and not the kind of spearhead title we need to make this VR thing into something real.

Beyond that, the price is still a bit too steep - and the actual hardware is not exactly where it needs to be. The resolution is just slightly too low - and we definitely need wireless to be standard. But it's close. Very close.

But, boy, does it make a lasting impression. I've played a bunch of Elite Dangerous in VR - and it's something else. I tried playing it without VR afterwards, and it was just bland in comparison.

Another surprising thing, at least for me, is how quickly your brain adapts to it. It feels so natural - and I didn't expect to just go with it like that.

There's been a recent significant price drop for Rift+Touch (happened RIGHT after I bought mine, naturally) - and if you're considering going VR, now is the time. I believe you can get both together for under 600$ now - and you get a bunch of cool free games, too.

I won't get into Rift vs Vive - except to say that due to the Touch and the recent price drop - I would definitely recommend Rift without a second thought. But there are clear advantages to each system.

Anyway, just thought I'd give my two cents :)

I like my Oculus, but very rarely use it haha, i bought it in december, i've probably used it less than 30 times.. its best feature is to show it to friend's kids, they are always really blown away, so fun to watch them haha. I like it most for horror games, Doom3 VR mod is really cool. Brookhaven experiment was a title that surprised me in terms of horror, unlike Doom it was extremely uncanny when the monster came really close, it really gets close up and personal to say the least, and pulls of the immersion / real life scale flawlessly.. What i like the least with it is how its looking through binoculars, it ruins the experience quite a bit. Once we have something with a much wider FOV, then it will be really something else..

Recent hardware purchases: Nintendo Switch, DIY Drum synth LXR from Sonic Potions
Software: RPG Maker MV, Hitman 2016. Both on sale.

Edit: why is RPG maker shown in red????? odd.

I've played a bunch of Elite Dangerous in VR - and it's something else. I tried playing it without VR afterwards, and it was just bland in comparison.
I have been thinking of getting a VR headset for use in Star Citizen. Apart from Elite Dangerous, have you also tried it with Star Citizen?

I have been thinking of getting a VR headset for use in Star Citizen. Apart from Elite Dangerous, have you also tried it with Star Citizen?

No, Star Citizen doesn't have proper VR support yet. That will be closer to release, so it's a long way off.

But I imagine it will be much like Elite Dangerous - and definitely worth it, if you're going to play the game a lot.

No, Star Citizen doesn't have proper VR support yet. That will be closer to release, so it's a long way off.

But I imagine it will be much like Elite Dangerous - and definitely worth it, if you're going to play the game a lot.
OK, thanks. I am quite invested in that game so I do indeed intend to play it a lot. I also want to play it "properly" with good peripherals to get the most out of it.

P.S.

Nice to see you back :).

OK, thanks. I am quite invested in that game so I do indeed intend to play it a lot. I also want to play it "properly" with good peripherals to get the most out of it.

P.S.

Nice to see you back :).

Thanks!

It's my most wanted game by far - but I don't think it will be out for a long time :)

Is Oculus that good? This talk about Elite: Dangerous made me a bit itchy about it :)

Is Oculus that good? This talk about Elite: Dangerous made me a bit itchy about it :)

Depends on what you're expecting. All I will say is that the experience was more than I expected.

That said, I had plenty of reservations :)

Don't expect it to change the way you play games or anything. More as a very nice option for a handful of games.

This:
a88bb8d0-1145-4f3a-a05d-501c1c5f3a5d.jpg

The mighty mug.

OMG!! It's a mug, first thing I thought was "pibbur bought a black pencil skirt??" :lol: see the attached pic and you will understand why :p women, right? :biggrin:

Sorry for digging up old post!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 58
I bought a Steam Controller recently. Love it so far.

I'd like to get an Oculus or VR headset once the next Elder Scrolls comes out and supports it. It seems amazing but I imagine it would be quite scary to see some giant spider drop down on you or something. Eek! :)

The HTC Vive because I had to try.

Today? If yes, good:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-05-jelly-deals-get-a-vive-with-100-usd100-off-today-only

To celebrate the first anniversary of Valve and HTC's initial entry into the VR scene, the Vive VR headset itself is £100 / $100 off for one day only. The limited birthday sale brings the price of the HTC Vive headset down to £659 in the UK and $699.99 in the US (you can thank Brexit for the bad exchange rate).

Back
Top Bottom