Story-based FPSes - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Story-based FPSes

Default Story-based FPSes

September 9th, 2009, 12:09
I have the 'flu, so I taken a day off. I should do some work (including RPGWatch) but I can't concentrate. I'm also stuck in Knights of the Chalice and suddenly thought I'd like a change of pace.

Maybe a shooter.

I read skavenhorde's FPS thread but my tastes are a little specific: I only like something with a strong story (and *no* real world military ones, WWII etc). I've played heaps of classics…Deus Ex, SS, SS2, Nolf/2, Jedi Academy/Outcast, Max Payne, HL/2…

I think HL2 is probably the last one I played, so I must have missed a few. So, new-ish, story-based shooters. No old classics (I've played them) and no "action only" games - something with some plot or interesting characters. Anything out there recently?
--
-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

September 9th, 2009, 12:14
Bioshock?

Personally, I think it's vastly overrated - but even despite that, it's quite good.

Other than that, I assume AvP2 is an "old classic" but if you for some reason missed out on it, I advise you to correct that mistake

DArtagnan

Mentioned: Post(s)

September 9th, 2009, 12:24
Have you played the episode expansions for HL2 yet?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)

September 9th, 2009, 13:33
Max Payne 2?

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

September 9th, 2009, 13:40
I'd vote for Bioshock. Couldn't say whether the shooter mechanics are any good since I don't have much to compare to, but the atmosphere of the game is exceptional. I thought the story was pretty cool, too, although some people didn't agree.
--
Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Shoulda said no to Dak / / Detroit Red Wings: 2021 Suckitude Tour

dteowner

Shoegazer

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

September 9th, 2009, 14:00
My vote for Bioshock. But don't expect good story, just interesting setting.

Well, actually I don't know any new FPS with good story, everything I played was mediocre or bad but I'm not FPS player anyway, all I want is to play some multiplayer FPS from time to time.

Konjad

Watch traitor from Codex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

September 9th, 2009, 14:11
Originally Posted by Konjad View Post
My vote for Bioshock. But don't expect good story, just interesting setting.

Well, actually I don't know any new FPS with good story, everything I played was mediocre or bad but I'm not FPS player anyway, all I want is to play some multiplayer FPS from time to time.
You should try System Shock

DArtagnan

September 9th, 2009, 14:14
My vote is for Call of Cthulhu. If we're throwing in HL2 as examples of FPS's with story, then I'm going to toss FEAR 1 and 2 into the ring as well.
--
I'm sleepy.

Rithrandil

SasqWatch

September 9th, 2009, 14:45
Originally Posted by Rithrandil View Post
My vote is for Call of Cthulhu. If we're throwing in HL2 as examples of FPS's with story, then I'm going to toss FEAR 1 and 2 into the ring as well.

I'm actually getting ready to replay CoC soon. I thought it was pretty average the first time I played, but I've been reading a lot of Lovecraft lately, which has inspired me to play it again.

F.E.A.R. was great imo, one of my top ten FPSs ever, but F.E.A.R. 2 is a consolized piece of crap.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

September 9th, 2009, 15:08
Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, maybe, if you haven't played EFBB. I've only played the original, but I thought that had a pretty nice story and a great setting. It's a little weak on characters though, Riddick isn't a very sociable person.

MaskedMan

Watcher
Original Sin 2 Donor

September 9th, 2009, 16:58
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
You should try System Shock
Is there new System Shock?

Konjad

Watch traitor from Codex

September 9th, 2009, 17:07
Originally Posted by Konjad View Post
Is there new System Shock?
I missed that key word

Unfortunately no, System Shock represents the peak

DArtagnan

September 9th, 2009, 17:42
In general you have mentioned some of the best (I assume "SS" is System Shock), but you didn't mention how old you mean with "old classics".

Here are some of my suggestions;
Alien VS Predator 2
Bioshock
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Deus Ex 2 (Yes, the 2nd game is still good, even if it's not as good as the first)
DOOM 3 (Yeah, Doom 3 actually had a story, and a rather good atmosphere)
Far Cry (not the 2nd)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R (Some of the best twists ever)
The Chronicles of Riddick (probably best with Dark Athena)

I do not know if F.E.A.R is that strong on the story department, but it might do.

Does it have to be first person (Max Payne isn't). The Suffering and Gears of War might not be shakespeare, but they are storydriven.

I wrote you a list on the shooters I finished the recent years, if you have questions on any of them, feel free to ask.
Spoiler
--
Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

September 9th, 2009, 18:24
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I'm actually getting ready to replay CoC soon. I thought it was pretty average the first time I played, but I've been reading a lot of Lovecraft lately, which has inspired me to play it again.

F.E.A.R. was great imo, one of my top ten FPSs ever, but F.E.A.R. 2 is a consolized piece of crap.
I loved CoC and thought it was a good game, but my love for Lovecraft would probably make me love anything they stuck his name on.

As for FEAR, I thought it was better than FEAR 2. The consolization of FEAR2 didn't bug me all that much, though. There are some things I want answered (in spoiler tags):

Spoiler
--
I'm sleepy.

Rithrandil

SasqWatch

September 9th, 2009, 18:38
Rithrandil, I don't think the devs even knew the answers to those questions. They screwed up so many things in the sequel that I question how many of the same people from FEAR 1 were even involved. I never played very far into Fear 2 to be honest, it was just such a disappointment to me on so many levels that I couldn't bear it…

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

September 9th, 2009, 18:38
Cryostasis wasn't too bad. Definatly a plot based game, not really a shooter though. Your main weapon is your body heat and whatever melee weapon you happened to find.

It's interesting how you can save peoples souls by traveling back to the point where they died and changing their fate.
Worthplaying's review

Call of Cthulhul is a good choice as well, but you better be a H.P. Lovecraft buff or like stealth games because it's a bit difficult to get into. No weapons for quite a long time. It has a great plot though. Metacritic's reviews

Stalker of course, although you probably already played that one. If you haven't I would say go with that one.

Dues Ex 2: The Nameless Mod is different to say the least. If you haven't downloaded that mod you might want to check it out. It'll save you a few bucks and it's not half bad. I didn't even get close to passing it, but for being a free mod it's surprisingly well done.

I would say your best choices would be Call of Cthuhul, Cryostasis or Bioshock.

If you've played Bioshock before you could try it this time with a difficulty mod. It boosts the difficulty of the game making it a bit more challenging.
Difficulty mod download.
--
Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

September 9th, 2009, 18:48
From the newer ones I can recommend Riddick and Prey. An older one is Shogo.

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

September 9th, 2009, 18:55
Realms of the Haunting, even though it's old. *It* was the peak .
As for slightly newer shooters-with-a-story: Undying.

And I second the AvP 2 and Riddick proposals.
--
ESO-playing machine

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

Play nice.
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

September 9th, 2009, 19:17
I loved Undying. Vastly better than Clive Barker's Jericho. He said he already played the "old classics", so I don't know if it includes Undying or not… but Undying is a game I would call "Old classic". I played a mod that acted as something of a Sequel that was rather cool.

I have actually looked into Realms of Haunting and I will probably end up playing it eventually.

I never finished Crystasis… I wanted to like it, but I couldn't get past the engine problems. I might get back to it when I updated my computer and have more time on my hands.
--
Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

September 10th, 2009, 03:26
Thanks for all the suggestions. I realised I didn't finish HL2 EP2, so I'll tackle that and then see how I feel.

From the suggestions above, I haven't played the Riddick games or FEAR. I also always meant to play CoC but forgot along the way - that will be more than enough until the big RPG releases hit.

Bioshock is the obvious one I should go back to at some point. I bought it on Day 1 and just couldn't get into it…I don't really know why. The movement feels a little herky-jerky and I think I prefer less cramped environments but I should still like it…not sure what's going on there.

It doesn't look like I've missed much, though. I wonder why they don't seem to produce more of them? Looking at review scores for things like NOLF and Max Payne, they seem to strike a chord.
--
-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Story-based FPSes