Baldur's Gate EET - is it any good?

Did not know I could zoom in and out. I'm on a laptop, so no middle mouse wheel - is there some other way to zoom?

Did not know I could zoom in and out. I'm on a laptop, so no middle mouse wheel - is there some other way to zoom?

Hmm. You should be able to go into the Settings menu and re-map the keys for zooming. It would be under the Assign Keys button, either in the Gameplay or Graphics menu. Try that. And make sure you play at the native and highest resolution on your computer with no zooming set in the Windows display options (very important - If you have the desktop zoom scaling set to 200% for example, the graphics will degrade by that amount. So even if you normally run your desktop at 250% etc. as I do, I always switch it back to 100% before playing.) Do this and the game will look great. It looks beautiful on my 4K monitor.

I also suggest these settings for graphics. Of course it's subjective, but after playing almost 200 hours now and testing, these are my favorite settings:

Sprite Outlines ON (yes, overall this does improve the look of the game to me. Subjective, but try it. Makes sprites "pop" from the screen more.)
Nearest Neighbor Scaling ON (pixelates the game more but makes it look sharper, vs. the blurred-but-smoother look of the EE.)

Now I turn Show Character HP and Show Health Bars OFF. It's more immersive to me, and I don't like seeing health bars over heads of enemies at all times (it clogs up the view too much, and it's easy to just hover over and see how damaged an enemy is) and health bars on portraits are not necessary (you can clearly see how hurt someone is via the red on their portrait.) Again, it's just more immersive to me this way.

On ultra HD resolution, I had to turn Hardware Mouse Cursor OFF, otherwise the cursor gets tiny. If you turn it off you will get a normal sized cursor @ 4K res. Not sure if it's necessary @ 1080p.

Feedback settings:
Marker Feedback - LOW
Locator Feedback - MEDIUM
Turn OFF Colored Selection Circles (some of the colors are too faint for my eyes to see easily. Turning this off makes the green selection circles brighter and easier to see.)
Turn ON Classic Selection Circles (looks better, IMO)
Turn ON the following 3 - More Confirmation Prompts, No Cosmetic Attacks + Journal Popups (just make sure to pause the game to read the journal popups - it's a nice feature. Please, for the love of god don't play with Cosmetic Attacks! All it does is add swings and feints to the game that your character is not actually rolling, thus making it much harder to get a sense of what's really happening in combat.)

Feedback Messages:
Only ones to turn ON are State Changes, Combat Information and Miscellaneous. Otherwise the Combat Log gets too crowded to make much sense of. Your mileage may vary depending on how much you pause and go back and read the Combat Log, but these settings work for me.

And that's about it for me. I only auto-pause when an enemy is sighted or trap is found. The other options are also subjective taste (I don't use Max HP on Level Up for balance reasons. I do use group Infravision though, as long as my group leader has infravision.)

Etc. etc.. Try these and feel free to let me know what settings you guys use.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom