Quantcast
Zodiac Legion, a turn based Tactical RPG of medieval fantasy guerilla warfare. - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Indie RPG » Zodiac Legion, a turn based Tactical RPG of medieval fantasy guerilla warfare.

Default Zodiac Legion, a turn based Tactical RPG of medieval fantasy guerilla warfare[in dev]

May 22nd, 2017, 15:55
Hey members of the watch, I have been working on Zodiac Legion, a tactical RPG for quite some time.

A GAME OF FANTASY GUERRILLA WARFARE

Zodiac Legion is a turn-based tactical RPG featuring lethal combat, squad management and strategic elements. Lead your heroes through daring raids and forgotten ruins, defend your land in a time of conquest and betrayal, and master the secrets of volatile ancient magic to restore a realm torn apart by a fratricidal war.

I guess it counts as an X-clone as it features several gameplay layers:
  • A tactical layer where most of the game takes place. Here, your small team of heroes try to complete their objective against overwhelming odds.
  • A strategic layer where you decide where to send heroes, armies, spies and diplomatic envoys.
  • A demesne layer where you decide what to build and what to upgrade in your citadel.

strategy

As the leader of the Zodiac Legion, an order first created a long time ago, your task is to secure the sources and secrets of magic as it slowly reappears in the world, and protect the kingdoms that support you from demonic incursions and ambitious sorcerers.
In order to do so, you can send armies to take over hostile provinces, and spies to look for sites of magic power or cells of enemy agents.
You also need to persuade feudal lords to support you instead of trying to tackle the problem alone, or worse, allying with the very sorcerers you are tasked to destroy.

Tactical gameplay

During missions, your party (4 to 12 characters) will be outnumbered most of the time, so you will have to get in, complete the mission, and get out before the reinforcements make it impossible (or the enemy completes his own objectives first).
Mission objectives will vary, ranging from assassinating an enemy sorcerer to retrieving a tome of ancient knowledge guarded by gargoyles and skeletons.
Confrontations on the strategic map (military campaigns, spy operations) will also generate tactical missions in which your small party of heroes will be able to tip the odds in your favor by taking out deadly enemies, holding a key position, or extracting one of your compromised spies.

Demesne management

The seat of your power is the citadel of the Zodiac. If the commander of the order falls in battle, another will take his place, but if the Citadel falls to the enemy, then the game is lost. In order to help train and equip your heroes and armies, various facilities can be built there. They can be staffed by some of your henchmen, or upgraded with some of the techniques and items recovered by your party:
During missions, you will find clues to the locations of artifacts that might help you, scrolls of spells to study, and various magic items, ranging from worker golem to enchanted weapons and armors.
You will be able to study them in your demesne to unlock their full power, and reveal their secrets.

Release date
The game is still under heavy development, and I am alone to handle the code, the community management, and the administrative overhead. I plan to go to Kickstarter on Q1 2018, and release on Q3 or Q4 2018.
Last edited by Galdred; May 24th, 2017 at 11:54. Reason: forgot to mention it was turn based

Galdred

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

May 23rd, 2017, 13:35
Welcome to our forums

Sounds interesting, but why do you plan to go to Kickstarter?
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

May 23rd, 2017, 15:25
Thank you

It is a good question:
I can finish it without Kickstarter, but I am afraid it would suffer from lack of variety.
I think more monster types would really help (and maybe even cavalry, but that would be a stretch goal), and more environments too, as there are currently only "grassland" and dungeons. I would like to add town city, fortifications.

On top of that, Kickstarter can be really helpful with exposure, which is a problem we face a lot as unknown indies.

Galdred

Watcher

May 23rd, 2017, 15:31
Do go KS. I'm definetly backing it when you do.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)

May 23rd, 2017, 20:30
Thank you!
I also wanted to go through KS because if I want to apply for a state grant, I need to show that there is a customer base for the game, and that I am serious about it (they did not see how a medieval XCOM could have potential…).

Galdred

Watcher

May 23rd, 2017, 21:09
good luck

nanni68

Traveler
RPGWatch Donor

May 23rd, 2017, 21:50
I would pledge money to this should you go kickstarter.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

May 29th, 2017, 20:46
Thank you for your kind words.
@joxer : I have read in the Regalia thread that you were against procedural generation?
Why ?
I am not sure I will be able to add it, but I would like to.
The reason for this is that memorizing maps was the most important skill I had to acquire in XCOM to beat Impossible Ironman, so I don't plan on imposing it on other players
Of course, I'd rather not have procedural generation, than have it implemented badly, but Invisible Inc did a stellar job doing so IMO (XCOM 2 too, to a lesser extent).

I plan to use the same modular approach: preset rooms and areas connected together.

Galdred

Watcher

August 31st, 2017, 23:52
I have just posted an update about magic in the world of Zodiac Legion (and its world building process).

Galdred

Watcher

September 1st, 2017, 14:04
Wow, sounds like right up my alley. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Any word on if/when your KS campaign would hit?
--
Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

September 2nd, 2017, 03:48
Originally Posted by wiretripped View Post
Wow, sounds like right up my alley. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Any word on if/when your KS campaign would hit?
Thank you!
KS should be after Christmas (end January or something, depending on what is the best time, and how far along I am).

Galdred

Watcher

February 11th, 2018, 12:34
Originally Posted by Galdred View Post
Thank you!
KS should be after Christmas (end January or something, depending on what is the best time, and how far along I am).
I showcased the game at the Indie Garden Assembly and it went rather well, I even got several: "it looks like Turn Based Baldur's Gate", which was really great.
However, many players were confused by the UI, so I still have to work on that.
Moreover, It is pretty hard to convey the fact that it is a fantasy XCOM with only a dungeon mission, so I'd have to add a minimal "geoscape" layer before going live.
So basically, it will rather be at the beginning of Summer.

Galdred

Watcher

February 11th, 2018, 14:12
Looks good. Will keep an eye on this game.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

February 11th, 2018, 17:37
That is indeed high praise, if people were saying it's like a turn based Baldur's Gate. Keep us informed, please!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

February 14th, 2018, 18:00
This looks like something I would enjoy. I'll definitely consider pledging when your KS is launched.
--
Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

Yesterday, 02:57
Thank you!

I guess I should first get a good trailer out, then a demo, then get some coverage, then go live with a specific KS video (aka, not the trailer), then a specific KS demo.

But I still have a long way to go before having enough support for a successful KS.
Where else could I post about the game?
I haven't found an RPGWatch equivalent for tactical or Turn Based Strategy games.
Reddit is really peculiar (you get buried instantly fast, and you cannot really have a dedicated thread like here, + the anti-self promotion rules don't really help).

Galdred

Watcher

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Indie RPG » Zodiac Legion, a turn based Tactical RPG of medieval fantasy guerilla warfare.