Non-RPG General News - Brexit: Repercussions on Video Game Industry

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Sorcery discusses Brexit and its repercussions on the game industry:

Brexit and Its Repercussions on the UK’s Video Game Industry

The United Kingdom is home to many, much loved video game companies. Some have spent decades in Britain such as Rare, creators of classics such as Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye 64 and Perfect Dark. Rockstar North are Scotland based and have worked on many GTA titles and the Red Dead Redemption series. Relatively new studios such as Hello Games (No Man’s Sky) and mobile game creators ustwo (Monument Valley) are also based here. There is a wealth of talent in the UK, both old and new, however a certain referendum had last year is likely to put that in jeopardy.

[...]

When Theresa May triggered article 50 last week she started an arduous process which has never been done before and may turn out to be detrimental to her own country. Meanwhile who knows how many opportunities Britain is now missing out on because of the cloud of uncertainty looming above. Maybe the next GTA will be worser for it, maybe we will never get another Monument Valley, but what is truly scary is that we do not know what opportunities we will miss out on, both during and after the process. In an ever globalising video game industry and world, the risks of Brexit are likely to be vague, uncertain and seismic. Will we be able to say that the UK’s game industry has improved post Brexit? At the moment the stats are pointing south.
More information.

Classic fear mongering article.
What are we missing out on!? Scary Fear Doom!! Think of the children!!

Detest these sorts of articles that have rampant speculation on just how bad life will be if X happens. Its ridiculous.

As a concerned EU citizen, I say:

Good riddance. Let UK serve as a prime example of why you do not leave the EU - oh and let's add Scotland ASAP and support their overdue independence. To rub some more salt in.
Frankly, the rest of the EU will be better off and might actually be capable of making more decisions without those constant naysayers.

Or, if all of that fails, let this show as the final proof of EU's incompetence. To get rid of that construct and replace it with something better.

Either way, I think of the Brexit as a good thing. It will bring change and clear some things up. One way or another. I do not feel pity for those who voted yes. Just another proof of democracy's shortcomings.

As a concerned EU citizen, I say:

Good riddance. Let UK serve as a prime example of why you do not leave the EU - oh and let's add Scotland ASAP and support their overdue independence. To rub some more salt in.
Frankly, the rest of the EU will be better off and might actually be capable of making more decisions without those constant naysayers.

Or, if all of that fails, let this show as the final proof of EU's incompetence. To get rid of that construct and replace it with something better.

Either way, I think of the Brexit as a good thing. It will bring change and clear some things up. One way or another. I do not feel pity for those who voted yes. Just another proof of democracy's shortcomings.

Haha sorry but you are wrong if you think the EU is a well oil machine… like the USA for example. The EU will further break up the main reason being that EU member countries don't have the same things in common that US states have. Even the most at odds US states have more in common when it comes to culture and values than any 2 EU countries you could possibly name with maybe the exception of the UK members. EU countires all have hundreds and in some cases 1000+ year old histories that dwarf the USA and as such they have wildly different languages, cultures, etc. They were never meant to be together functioning as one country (or "union") and it can never possibly work. As the years go on you will see more and more countries vote to leave as they tire of unelected leaders in Brussels calling their day to day lives.

@jpnole - I'm not a European, but I think the idea of the EU (less the excessive bureaucracy that has evolved) is not a bad one, Supposedly, I am told, it grew out of a desire to avoid more destructive wars in Europe, a good thing. Also, compared to where I come from Europe *is* still a well oiled machine. People in the 1st world; don't realize how good they have it and bitch about every little thing. I'm in Italy, which is supposedly teetering on the brink if ruin, and I think it's pretty damn fine. As for UK, let them leave - they seems to want the benefits (e.g. open access to trade etc) but not to bear the cost. It is also clear that the Brexit campaign was not shy about using fear-mongering of its own (and some blatant lies as later became apparent). I also lived in the UK, for 4 years, and can't say I really cared that much for it.

The UK was never a full member of the EU, it never had the Euro, for example. It wasn't a founding member. It's never liked the shenanigan agreement. Its never really been involved in European historical conflict as regards territorial ownership beyond western France (and even that wasn't for very long) and was always just in it for the trade and not a lot else. It was actually the USA who was determined to keep the UK in Europe more than UK itself.

You could argue there'll be more confusion regarding the separate sub-states of the UK now, but that's all been going on anyway regardless of the EU, the EUs just another point to add to that debate.

Whether the UK will actually benefit from being out the EU, who knows, only time will tell.

EU, the concept, is a good one. I would prefer a global union, though.

The implementation is a different story - as is generally the case when human beings are supposed to administer systems involving such potential for corruption and self-interest facilitation.

I'm european and i salute England for doing the right thing, my country (italy) entered in EU without anything was asked to people and without anything was asked to the government of that time.

2 men decided for us Roman Prodi and Carlo Azelio Ciampi (whose past i will overlook for reason of space) from the day we were in (it was around 2001) EU vampirized us economically, killed our agriculture which was in good health and imposed absurd food laws which killed part of our gastronomical tradition.
At the present day nothing has changed, we still pay big interests because our "debt" (one day they will explain how they come out with such rules), the only advantage is free circulation in EU states, the disadvantages are too big to justify out staying.

One last thing : we can't vote our staying via referendum cause the guys i mentioned above have put in our constitution that our being part of EU can't be object of popular vote.
So England, you got my respect.

ps: media are shamlessly pro EU and they use fear (mostly in terms of economics) to consolidate the idea that you can't exit, sometimes i think that was the way media were used in dictatorships, but this would require another post.

I enjoyed reading some of these posts, very good comments. My two cents on this follows, as a non-European (American)…I think this must really suck for a certain tiny percentage of top level elites, because it's a lot harder to control people - and the world - when there are different countries, with different cultures and value systems. For example, the strong patriotism and those types of nationalistic feelings that a lot of people feel in the USA is something they couldn't defeat. (they are now trying to use a new phrase - "white nationalism" - to try and make people feel bad about patriotism and nationalism, but that too doesn't work very well, at least not here in the good old USA)

I'm afraid their dream of a 1984-style totalitarian society, where the entire world is ruled and controlled from a centralized place, by a tiny group of elites, is going to be put on hold, perhaps indefinitely, by the looks of it…:biggrin: (if Le Pen wins in France, look out! That will be strong confirmation)

…if you think the EU is a well oil machine… like the USA for example.

The U.S. is a well-oiled machine? Doesn't look that way from where I'm sitting.

I enjoyed reading some of these posts, very good comments. My two cents on this follows, as a non-European (American)…I think this must really suck for a certain tiny percentage of top level elites, because it's a lot harder to control people - and the world - when there are different countries, with different cultures and value systems. For example, the strong patriotism and those types of nationalistic feelings that a lot of people feel in the USA is something they couldn't defeat. (they are now trying to use a new phrase - "white nationalism" - to try and make people feel bad about patriotism and nationalism, but that too doesn't work very well, at least not here in the good old USA)

Very strange to think that patriotism or those types of nationalistic feelings are not proper material to control people.

People who are not moved by anything strong are harder to control.

Supposedly, I am told, it grew out of a desire to avoid more destructive wars in Europe, a good thing. .
No. It grew out of urgent concerns to retain relevancy.

European nations no longer have the luxury of war. Some time ago, war meant for them a better standard of life in case of victory. European nations no longer have the power to wage war where it could matter, can not wage wars against each other without losing their rankings and are condemned to police the areas of the world they have largely contributed to clear of resources (a negative return scheme)

I wouldn't put it in terms of patriotism vs internationalism i would say having a future vs not having a future, real economy vs finance speculation.

See Greece they can't stand Eu and it's not they are nationalists or something they just understood (probably they always knew) what they done to them as a people.

Calling anti eu people "nationalists" is just another way to delegitimate what they say, a tag nowadays is a cheap way to twist reality.

My two cents on this follows, as a non-European (American)…I think this must really suck for a certain tiny percentage of top level elites, because it's a lot harder to control people - and the world - when there are different countries, with different cultures and value systems. For example, the strong patriotism and those types of nationalistic feelings that a lot of people feel in the USA is something they couldn't defeat. (they are now trying to use a new phrase - "white nationalism" - to try and make people feel bad about patriotism and nationalism, but that too doesn't work very well, at least not here in the good old USA)

I'm afraid their dream of a 1984-style totalitarian society, where the entire world is ruled and controlled from a centralized place, by a tiny group of elites, is going to be put on hold, perhaps indefinitely, by the looks of it…:biggrin: (if Le Pen wins in France, look out! That will be strong confirmation)

You used the word "they" an awful lot here. I'm assuming this refers to "elites" throughout. If you think you are not being ruled by "a certain tiny percentage of top level elites" right here in "the good old USA" right now, you are sadly mistaken.

I say nuke 'em.
Who? Dunno, just toss the bomb somewhere randomly so we can stop beating the bush and move onto something more interesting.

The predecessor of the EU was based on uniting coal and steel producing countries. One of the reasons being that in order to start a war you need coal and steel to produce the weapons. By unifying the countries that could produce it, the chances of a war being started again would be reduced. It started with just 6 countries. After that it started growing with the EU becoming a reality in 1993, which after that continued to grow and became too big too fast.
Now the EU is a mess. There are 28 different countries that cannot agree with each other and little to nothing can be accomplished anymore.
It isn't all bad, but something like the Euro was definitely a mistake.

O, well, I am quite the optimist. It does not matter who quits when, we're all gonna sink, every man for himself, with the upcoming, inevitable big financial crisis that'll trigger the death of the euro.
:)

Haha sorry but you are wrong if you think the EU is a well oil machine… like the USA for example.
Like USA? That tells me all I need to know.
EU might not be a well oiled machine. But it's the best thing Europe has. It kept us off each other throats for over 70 years. The longest lasting period of peace in our history.

I enjoyed reading some of these posts, very good comments. My two cents on this follows, as a non-European (American)…I think this must really suck for a certain tiny percentage of top level elites, because it's a lot harder to control people - and the world - when there are different countries, with different cultures and value systems.

errrr… yes… and who lords over you right now? A man who pledged to "drain the swamp" and then picked the richest cabinet in US history?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom