Divinity 2 - Review @ Worthplaying

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A tempered review of Divinity II is up at Worthplaying, with the author noting bugs and uneven balance but enjoying the general ground-based gameplay. On the dragon form:
Flying over Rivellon as a dragon is fun ... at first. However, other titles, such as 1999's Drakan: Order of the Flame for PCs and Cavia's Drakengard series on the PS2 have done the dragon-sim thing far better than the somewhat bare-bones version delivered with Divinity II's aerial assailant. It's unique, if only because you can level up your dragon form, armor it and assign points to its own set of skills, but most of these options feel incredibly underused by what the game fails to do. This was supposed to be a big thing in the game, but it feels like something had been hastily added at the last minute.
The proof shows up as soon as you take flight, which only serves to underline the superior ground game of Divinity II. Enemies simply disappear from sight, as if everything on two legs were armed with a cloaking device that makes them invisible to air attacks. This only leaves flying monsters and giant enemy buildings as possible targets, thus reducing your dragon to acting as a giant wrecking ball and fly-swatting flamethrower. Why have a dragon in the game at all if you can't roast enemies from the air? This imminent threat is part and parcel of what makes a dragon so feared in the first place.
More information.

Bugs and uneven balance, those are exactly my thought. Apart from that, this game has me engrossed in its world and story far more than most other recent games. The gameplay is fun. Character progression and itemization is really good. Fantastic game.

Sounds good. I know other people who're responding the same way, Thaurin. I'm looking forward to picking it up eventually.

Same here. I've got a Fallout 3 thing going right now but Divinity 2 might be my next game once I get tired of the Capital Wasteland. I've bought Broken Steel and Point Lookout just now so I'll have another few hours in this at least.

Keep in mind that it is more of an action RPG. The quests are very fun and the maps are free-roaming, but it's still pretty linear. As in, you need to go here, but you can also go there. But go here, so you can progress the story! Yeah, I suppose it's like that in every game, but some maps get closed off at certain times in the game.

What I found infuriating at points is how the game seems pretty easy for you, then suddenly locks you in and throws some really nasty assholes at you!! Save often and in different slots!!

Bugs and uneven balance, those are exactly my thought. Apart from that, this game has me engrossed in its world and story far more than most other recent games. The gameplay is fun. Character progression and itemization is really good. Fantastic game.

I'm not real far in yet, but I haven't had a single bug so far. I agree it's a fantastic game so far. It has an old school type of feel to it. It's not as polished as DA, but I'm not sure that's such a bad thing.

I am also loving it so far ...

I'm not real far in yet, but I haven't had a single bug so far. I agree it's a fantastic game so far. It has an old school type of feel to it. It's not as polished as DA, but I'm not sure that's such a bad thing.

One really annoying bug on the Xbox 360 version is that when you press the A or B button to skip or cancel a dialog and return to the game, the item/spell/action that you have hotkeyed under that button gets also fired. Ugh, so bad. I've got melee and ranged attacks mapped on those buttons so that I only attack once after doing it, but imagine if you'd but a healing potion under it... just a stupid bug.

The first time I played, I also had a freeze in a loading screen. Other than that, just little niggles. Lack of polish. But still very enjoyable!

Back
Top Bottom