Cleve's long lost relative?

Corwin said:
Women are NOT rational!!!!!!!!!

Well…not always. Mrs Coaster is always the one who reads the instructions to set up the DVD player/build the cabinet whereas I'm the one who randomly presses stuff and sticks things in other things to see what happens. "Learning by doing", I like to call it - my wife prefers to call it "learning by breaking it".

Well…not always. Mrs Coaster is always the one who reads the instructions to set up the DVD player/build the cabinet whereas I'm the one who randomly presses stuff and sticks things in other things to see what happens. "Learning by doing", I like to call it - my wife prefers to call it "learning by breaking it".

I do both.

I don't know HOW I do it, but I can kind of "feel myself into" any technical device. Something's in me able to work it out by simply "feeling [myself] into it" and by simply watching it.

I know from a friend that her daughter learned swimming simply by people doing it. At once, she knew how to do it. I assume that her mirror neurons are very well developed.

The more sensitive a person is, the more likely it is that this works, I assume.

And there are actually a few very rationally thinking women.
When I was learning programming, in my class there were a few women as well - all of them proved to be the best programmers of the whole class !

What women often have what men do not have, is Intuition. Women decide often via Intuition.

Problem ist : Intuition is not acting after rational patters. At least not that I know of.

Hence it is far more difficult to understand for a rationally thinking man.

However, Intuition can be a great tool, lso. It can be trained, and learning to listen to it can be trained, too.

My own intuition often surprised me to be much more exact and working things out much better than I had imagined.

Last Sunday I went to a small, private lecture of Authors I know (they are moe or less friends of mine). I didn't know the area very much … - I knew an area / quarter which was located a good deal apart from that, and decided to park the car there and wander to the place where it was scheduled to be.

Instead I drove through the quarter, entered 1-3 other quarters, had to turn around at least once, but at least knew the rough direction where I had to go to.

I drove purely by direction and by my intuition.

I did so, because my experiences had told me that I could trust my intuition.

As it turned out, I had finally parked the car only a few hundred metres away from the house, in the midtst of an area/quarter where I had never been in my life before.

Once again my Intuition and my sense of direction had surprised me. They had - combined ! - worked much more precise than I had ever imagined.

And, by the way, a recent scientific study says that *all* children have a built-in sense of direction … - But that gets mangled over via our education, especially by our "left/right" system.

Women can be rational, yes, but they still tend to let their emotions rule. I believe some scientific bullshit theory exists about males typically needing to shut down emotions when engaging in a physical conflict or when hunting - or whatever.

Whether that's true or not, I wouldn't know. But I do know that women - in my experience - are very much subject to their emotional state, which means they appear to be irrational when a conflict of significant magnitude is in effect.

My theory is that Emotion is just another way of ... gaining information.

And since there is no way to describe it - in contrast to the Loic - there is no way to prove/say whether my theory is right or wrong.

Because no man has ever made an attempt to "scientifice" Emotion.

Interesting theory - but unfortunately it's impossible to prove or even demonstrate. But I wouldn't be surprised if emotions turned out to be a better information-gatherer than cold logic.

But if that's the case, we'd need to develop a very different language to successfully communicate. As is, our language is based on logic - and it's incredibly flawed in that way - because logic is insufficient and too much is about interpretation. To effectively communicate emotions would take something completely unfamiliar to us.

Nice concept, though.

However, the thing about emotions is that they're there whether based on something otherwise perceivable or not.

For instance, I tend to provoke a lot of negative emotions when I communicate online - and yet it has very little to do with who I actually am - or what my intentions really are.

As such, I think trusting emotions can be very, very misleading. But then again, some people prefer to live life based on denial or a profound lack of actual verified information.

But if that's the case, we'd need to develop a very different language to successfully communicate. As is, our language is based on logic

I believe that this might be the clue to the problem, and how it can be solved.

Yesterday I saw a doumentary over Sexuality. One person said that only the so-called "Western" culture managed to make a Science out of Sexuality - something that can be learned at an University.

It is the same culture that is so much based on Logic.

For instance, I tend to provoke a lot of negative emotions when I communicate online - and yet it has very little to do with who I actually am - or what my intentions really are.

Wording can have a great influence on things. And usually the rather sensitive people have a full grasp at it. At least this is my personal experience.

I once developed the theory of a word not only containing its *literal* maning,
but also what I call an "emotional meaning" or an "emotional image/picture" of the word - which is subconsciously formed in our minds based on childhood-experiences or other experiences we once connected with this work.
(Example : Something tastes bad. An emotional memory is created in the own mind, meaning : "[thing] [is] bad", simply because of its taste. Or, someone hurts his finger with a door. The door gets kind of "emotionally marked" with the "emotion-image/-picture" saying/meaning : "this door = bad/hurtful.)

I fear that the forming of Prejudices works in a similar way.

I'm not sure, but I tend to believe that Marketing used this as a technique I call "Emotional Anchoring". The brand of an item - clothes, for example - get "emotionally bonded" into the own mind, and Marketing people exploit this by artificially create a bond consisting of positive emotions with this brand word/name.

Without knowing, they prove my theory to be true with doing this.

I hope you're not suggesting our culture is based on logic? Because then I'd like you to point out how that's the case.

No, it is not based on Logic - yet Logic has a huge, almost dominating place within it.

The basis of our culture is … simply the cultures that were before us. ;)

I see culture in general like a hill, on which villages have been built, stood, been burned or otherwise been destroyed, rebuilt, destroyed, rebuilt, destroyed, rebuilt - and that quite a lot of times. We are the product of our past.

No, it is not based on Logic - yet Logic has a huge, almost dominating place within it.

The basis of our culture is … simply the cultures that were before us. ;)

I see culture in general like a hill, on which villages have been built, stood, been burned or otherwise been destroyed, rebuilt, destroyed, rebuilt, destroyed, rebuilt - and that quite a lot of times. We are the product of our past.

Yes, but you seem to be looking down on logic based on how it's been used (or, more precisely, haven't been used) in the world.

Logic has NOT been used to any significant degree in terms of structuring our society. We may have started out with logic when making our laws or structuring our society - but we haven't had the capacity to do it beyond the core concepts.

Personally, I think logic would make for a much, much better world society for everyone involved.

However, people tend to think in opposites and can't imagine a world that's both logical and emotional. Something I most certainly don't agree with.

Women are very rational creatures. We can dissect the behaviors and motivations of the opposite sex based on the most limited of actions and words. We know how they think and feel and react when they are not even aware they have feelings.

Example:

She: "What do want for dinner tonight?"
He: "I don't care, make whatever."

She: Analysis——1. He hates my cooking.
2. He thinks I am suppose to do all the cooking!
3. He doesn't even want to put in the effort to help make the most simplest decisions in this relationship!!
4. He is looking at some young thing at work and not even listening to me!!!
5. He will come home and want sex……….no way in He##!!!!

She: "Then get your own dinner….I may just go out to eat!"

Which brings us back to doh...er I mean Cleve!! :)

Speaking of Cleve:

Do you have any plans to release a trial or demo version of the game? If you do, then at what point?

I will be releasing a demo of the basic starter region with four maps before end of December, possibly at the end of November. Right now the biggest hurdle has been adapting to the new resolution of 1024x768, our first goal on IndieGoGo which we achieved. This demo will be public and should end anyone’s doubts the game exists for good.

Still not good with dates and promises is he, despite having extracted over $7k from the faithful.

My theory is that Emotion is just another way of … gaining information.

And since there is no way to describe it - in contrast to the Loic - there is no way to prove/say whether my theory is right or wrong.

Because no man has ever made an attempt to "scientifice" Emotion.

That's not true, many emotions are being researched in universities, including anger, love, happiness and more. You could probably find some information on this by googling stuff like research on emotions, research on love, research on anger.

Many of the emotions have been linked to certain chemicals in the brain. I would guess pibbur would know a lot more about this especially since emotions such as sadness and feeling lethargic are treated with medicines for the treatment of depression for example.

Cleve and this guy need to understand that the only way they can achieve something is with other people. If you have a 200 IQ and behave like a douchebag towards everyone, no chance your Theory of All will be even considered. Someone with a non made up IQ and no Theory of All in his pocket, but with great people skills, is likely to achieve more than Cleve.

This is the reason why nobody joined Cleve in his endouver to make a best RPG ever during his time as a minimum salaried employee, even though he apparently did everything. This is how his co workers describe him:

http://jaggedalliance.wikia.com/wiki/Calvin_Barkmore

This quote shows that Cleve attempted to recruit his co workers for the Grimoire. If he would have acted as a human being, he might have had a chance at his own company:

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/7668/calvin5py3.jpg

Yeah this kind of gets to "how ideas have sex."

The potential to create and innovate is vastly different when considering a group with distinct specializations and diverse methods of problem solving and when considering a lone "genius." That's in addition to the significant and more obvious differences in efficiency gains by division of labor.

Back
Top Bottom