Massive stuttering under Nvidia card?

keith444

Traveler
Hi, I have the min requirements, AMD Athlon 3000+ 1 gb ram and Nvidea 6600 GT.
Hi have all the visuals turn right down and the sound set to headphones.

After a few minutes in the game (about 5-10, the game starts stuttering to the point where I have to reboot.

I think the game laso did this before I upgraded to patch 1.5.
If Im going to upgrade, do I need all the patches and update them one by one?

Is there any other .ini files I can change to stop this from happening?

Follow up

Also, I think this may be a ram capacity issue, Is there anyway to stop the "sand storm" weather in the game?

What OS are you running this on? Many newer 3D games are going to have issues with only 1GB RAM, especially if you're using Vista or Windows 7. 2GB is generally considered the bare minimum for a gaming system now.

The good news is that RAM is super cheap right now. Although considering your CPU and video card are also quite outdated, you might just want to overhaul your entire system if you can afford it.

Is that 6600gt an agp card on a socket A system? Ah, that brings back memories…

Speaking of memory, maybe you have some kind of memory leak? Or perhaps the GPU is overheating? As for tweaking the INI can't help you there, sorry.

The 6600 gt is pretty old, I mean it's a pixel-pipeline uarch… Compare it to say a 560 gtx Ti or 6950 and we're talking over ~12.5x increase in pixel fill rate; texture fill rate is boosted ~13x and ~17x, respectively… Oh and the increase in memory and BW.

Not to be a jerk or anything, but I too would like to echo previously voiced sentiments, an upgrade may be in order(assuming that is both something you desire and can afford).

Hi, I have the min requirements, AMD Athlon 3000+ 1 gb ram and Nvidea 6600 GT.

I run The Precursors on an AMD Athlon 3000+ with 2 GB RAM and an ATI 3850 AGP card and while it is also stuttering sometimes, it never hangs itself up. So I guess your problem is either the RAM or the graphics card. As has been said, 2 GB RAM is minimum for XP nowadays, and for the 6600GT, you can replace it with a modern ATI AGP card if you don't want to rebuild a completely new system.

Thanks for your help

Right everyone is being a jerk, cussing at my machine huh?

I had considered an upgrade, but thats not possible for the time being...
Ok, Maybe the RAM is a fair idea, I had considered overclocking also.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help though, I didnt expect so many responses.

I checked the minimum specs for the game which are AMD XP 3000, 1GB RAM and the Geforce 6600GT.

I match the minimum specs required, so I was hoping there would have been an easy software fix or something.

If It says on the box, the specs I have mentioned, then in reality, it should work without problems. shame its about advertising and not reality though!

I have found the game booster 3 makes the game playable for around 15-20 mins if Im lucky so I'll have to deal with that until I get another stick of RAM :)

Thanks for yor help though!

Gamers are a bit picky on system requirements. Compared to other boards the folks here are nice to each other. :)
The minimum requirement didn't specify the RAM on your graphics card. The 6600 has 128 MB which is low. It must be possible for you to find a better one on eBay.
Please note that also with the recommended or better hardware there are bugs resulting in stuttering. Even on my quad core i7-920 hyper threading game rig (8 cores !) I got trouble with it when engaging group fights.
And to add the game isn't finished and polished as it should be. :(

Game stutters and slows down to crawl on my 512MB 9800GTX+ and dual core Athlon64 with 6GB DDR2.

This happened to me after installing unofficial patch (1.4). Without unofficial patch there was only stuttering but it was annoying as well. Game is just broken or maybe it doesn't like AMD CPU's (or maybe slow ones?).

Either way, I am upgrading to i7 2600K and 16GB DDR3 tomorrow so we will find out.

Back
Top Bottom