WotR Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Tips & Tricks & Help

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
I just finished Seelah's companion quest in chapter 3 - I thought it's the perfect quest to do on Halloween :D

Elan & Kiana's wedding

Is it just me or potions (and to a lesser extant, scrolls) are very optional and not that useful?

Healing potion don't heal that much and it's so difficult to find the right potion. The only ones that seems useful are the restorations.

Is it just me or potions (and to a lesser extant, scrolls) are very optional and not that useful?

Healing potion don't heal that much and it's so difficult to find the right potion. The only ones that seems useful are the restorations.

I generally found scrolls work better than potions but I think potions are there in case you don't have any divine casters in your party.

I do use potions and scrolls when I'm still low level but end up hording them as I level up.

I often rely on healing potions since anyone car drink them regardless of casting abilities, and they're abundant in loot. More often at the beginning of the game in the absence of a divine caster, as @purpleblob1; said. But also when the divine caster is too busy or has run out of spells.

The drawback is that drinking makes you vulnerable to attacks of opportunity. And potions are heavy.

I would like to rely on buff potions too, mainly to protect rogues and melee fighters, but there aren't any to be found in WotR unfortunately. At least not in the early acts, and especially not in the camp. I suppose it's because you can craft your own, but since it requires to sacrifice a feat on a caster for that purpose (and a lot of sleep I guess), it doesn't seem interesting. That's why I'm rarely bothering to prepare for fights anymore, except the usual communal divine spells.

For the restoration, I'm usually happy with whoever can help in the party, with known spells or scrolls.

The drawback is that drinking makes you vulnerable to attacks of opportunity. And potions are heavy.

And in combat, you "waste" a turn. I never noticed the problem with the weight. Another problem is finding the right potion at the right time. I have so many of them, I would need some sort of search bar to easily find the one I'm looking for. Also, if we could stack them, it would help instead of having to micro-manage and find another potion to replace those I have used.

Attachments

• capture.jpg
    capture.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 69
And in combat, you "waste" a turn. I never noticed the problem with the weight. Another problem is finding the right potion at the right time. I have so many of them, I would need some sort of search bar to easily find the one I'm looking for. Also, if we could stack them, it would help instead of having to micro-manage and find another potion to replace those I have used.
That's right, wasting a turn is another downside. You can heal someone else though, but again you need to be close, so it's a poor replacement of a cleric.

You can filter a few item categories but it's not perfect.

I hate the inventory mess. I'm used to arrange the items in the inventory itself, at least by grouping the potions and scrolls as much as possible by type (boost, offensive, protection, curing). That's why I'm disappointed it's not possible to "grow" the inventory rows by occupying the last position as before. It's simply something we have to live with, I don't see another clean solution (having a lot of filter tabs would be awkward too, a text filter takes too much time, …).

For those who finished the game, I have a question:

Where did Areelu ended up? Did you intervene for her judgement? I heard you can convince Pharasma to send her to Nirvana or Elysium but the only choices I got were either Maelstrom or Abyss :(

I also tried out different dialogue today with my angel save, and managed to convince her that I'm her daughter - got "So much of me" achievement from it.

This game, seriously - I love it to bits, warts and all <3

I have only finished twice so far - once with Azata (who was Lobo and hence zero persuasion skills) and once with Jonathan who did Mortal Legend, which I disliked and deleted character and saves as soon as I completed. Redoing him currently (and staying with mythic path) and enjoying it much better now.

Anyhow I digress.

For both characters I intervened and had a success when I did. I never had an option to choose Abyss or Maelstrum (or anything else related to where she would go). All I had was a choice to intervene and then when I got that I could ask for leniency or say throw the books at her. I always said there had been too much horror already and be lenient. In both cases she ended up at the Malestrumm.

The reality, however, is that she is responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people all because she lost a child … and while they make it seem easy to feel sympathy I always remind myself of just how many other mothers/fathers lost their children, or children who lost their parents, because of what Areelu did.

Consequently, for me, any choice to save her and "ascend" is a pure evil choice. A deal with the devil, or demonness in this case, to become a god, even a good god, is still an evil act.

I have only finished twice so far - once with Azata (who was Lobo and hence zero persuasion skills) and once with Jonathan who did Mortal Legend, which I disliked and deleted character and saves as soon as I completed. Redoing him currently (and staying with mythic path) and enjoying it much better now.

Anyhow I digress.

For both characters I intervened and had a success when I did. I never had an option to choose Abyss or Maelstrum (or anything else related to where she would go). All I had was a choice to intervene and then when I got that I could ask for leniency or say throw the books at her. I always said there had been too much horror already and be lenient. In both cases she ended up at the Malestrumm.

The reality, however, is that she is responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people all because she lost a child … and while they make it seem easy to feel sympathy I always remind myself of just how many other mothers/fathers lost their children, or children who lost their parents, because of what Areelu did.

Consequently, for me, any choice to save her and "ascend" is a pure evil choice. A deal with the devil, or demonness in this case, to become a god, even a good god, is still an evil act.

If you don't intervene with Pharasma's judgement, Areelu gets sent to abyss by default. If you intervene, you can make things better or worse for Areelu. When I intervened and asked for more merciful judgement, Areelu ended up in Maelstrom - but others have told me that when they asked for mercy, she was sent to Nirvana or Elysium. I wonder what causes these differences.

If you appeal that Areelu doesn't deserve any mercy, I heard that Pharasma completely destroys her soul because not even the abyss deserve an atrocity like her.

I love these varied outcomes :)

As an angel of mercy, I pleaded for mercy to be shown to Areelu and was happy she ended up in Maelstrom. But I hope I get to send her to somewhere better for my Azata run - after all, I've been very merciful for many other demons to achieve happier ending (e.g. Minagho and Chivarro).

I know Areelu destroyed lives of many but I also can't bear the thought of losing my loved ones in the way she did - first, those who hates any sort of arcane magic killed her daughter then Pharasma judged her soul to the abyss. I mean, as far as I know, Areelu's daughter didn't commit sort of atrocity to end up in abyss? Yes, she summoned demons but they lived somewhere really remote and don't think those summoned demons got out and harmed anyone?

Basically, I can't agree with everything she's done but I understand where her anger comes from. If anything, WotR made me dislike Iomedae and hate Pharasma.

I plan on going for a secret ending as a human (kellid) bloodrager (magic user like Areelu!) demon mythic :D I think it will be an interesting experience.

Yea one of the fun things is going through the game on a different path and choices and seeing all the new stuff and all the hidden things you would never know if you only played one path.

Ok, so I got my answer from discord regarding the question I had above.

It's tied to mythic path you are playing - if you persuade Pharasma for mercy, Areelu goes to Nirvana if you are GD or Elysium if you are true Aeon. For all other paths, she goes to Maelstrom. Guess she will end up in Maelstrom again in my Azata run :(

A little something I observed after entering Citadel Drezen (underground), related to Whispers of Madness.
There is a way to stop the repeated CHA debuff, otherwise it becomes a real problem.

I suppose it's well-known: once you have seen "Yaniel" follow the corridor to the right (East), open the door and get in the room just in front (so, always East).

There are 3 tablets with skill checks to pass, in Religion, World and Arcana. Religion is the highest DC at 30, IIRC. Each time you fail, you get to defeat spawning enemies, who can damage your abilities. It's all fun.

(for the story) The first time I went TB mode so I could contain them more easily. Equipped band of WIS, drank owl potion, and I needed to roll a 16. I rolled an 11, fight, a 4, fight, a 2, fight, a 3, fight, a 1…, fight, an 11, fight. Then I gave up, realizing my religious character was down 3 or 4 ability points.

I reloaded and used RTwP. Band/potion again, then I rolled something too low and the usual 2-3 enemies spawned, but the hand symbol was still there and I could continue clicking it without any additional spawns on failure, while my fellows were taking care of the ghosts.

Sure enough, after half a dozen attempts, it succeeded. Same technique with the 2 others, which are easier anyway, I got them on the first attempt.

=> Don't try TB mode, the hand symbol disappears each time. Use RTwP and keep someone near the tablet to keep trying while the combat is ongoing.
=> Don't neglect religion in Wrath of the Righteous, it's a recurring theme. ;)
They fixed it, unfortunately, which is quite nasty. I had enough of this so I saved and spam loaded until I succeeded the check with not too many failures (only 2).

This part of Drezen is brutal.

They fixed it, unfortunately, which is quite nasty. I had enough of this so I saved and spam loaded until I succeeded the check with not too many failures (only 2).

This part of Drezen is brutal.

Why spam load when you could spend 3 seconds and set the game to story mode, then the checks lower a lot (verified that after our last discussion), then change back. Seems a lot simpler and less frustrating them spam loading :p

I mean when you spam load you are not really playing on difficult at that point :p

The other option is live it and try to cope with restoration spells and get the area done. That is possible as I did that once.

My general rule of thumb is I will reload a second time if I really want to pass something and if it didn't pass then it wasn't meant to be ... the exception only being for something so critical to the story or that I want ... then I switch to story mode to do it.

Why spam load when you could spend 3 seconds and set the game to story mode, then the checks lower a lot (verified that after our last discussion), then change back. Seems a lot simpler and less frustrating them spam loading :p

I mean when you spam load you are not really playing on difficult at that point :p

The other option is live it and try to cope with restoration spells and get the area done. That is possible as I did that once.

My general rule of thumb is I will reload a second time if I really want to pass something and if it didn't pass then it wasn't meant to be … the exception only being for something so critical to the story or that I want … then I switch to story mode to do it.
The first time I played that's what I did, I hadn't taken the time to explore everything and didn't find this room. It was much simpler by then, now there are at least two pretty hard fights.

Actually, I had to reload only once. The first time was hopeless, each time you fail that check, the attack that is spawn gets severe debuffs (including in the very check you have to pass). It passed on the second attempt.

But you're right, I wouldn't mind lowering the difficulty if I had no other choice like boosting the stats for that check. Though we saw that the DC could actually get higher with lower difficulty settings. ;)

If there's an elegant solution, I'm accepting this and playing fair, but here it just seems random unless you happen to have someone in the party with high skills.

The first time I played that's what I did, I hadn't taken the time to explore everything and didn't find this room. It was much simpler by then, now there are at least two pretty hard fights.

Actually, I had to reload only once. The first time was hopeless, each time you fail that check, the attack that is spawn gets severe debuffs (including in the very check you have to pass). It passed on the second attempt.

But you're right, I wouldn't mind lowering the difficulty if I had no other choice like boosting the stats for that check. Though we saw that the DC could actually get higher with lower difficulty settings. ;)

If there's an elegant solution, I'm accepting this and playing fair, but here it just seems random unless you happen to have someone in the party with high skills.

I think it highlights the importance of knowledge/skill checks, especially when going into a fortress that was possessed by nasty demons for so long ;) knowledge is power :p

Last edited:
I think it highlights the importance of knowledge/skill checks, especially when going into a fortress that was possessed by nasty demons for so long ;) knowledge is power :p
It was much easier as a cleric, for sure ;) I like that the game has those questions and checks in domains that are important for the story.

But I do hate the number of ability damages we get in Pathfinder in a very short time, especially when they're permanent (I cheated with the difficulty settings and made them restore when resting).

During a simple combat, some enemies can permanently damage the ability of an entire group in one round, and all I have is Death Ward which only applies to one ally at a time. It's just not sustainable. Maybe I'm missing something.

As someone who finished the game in Unfair difficulty the first week of release (before they even nerfed it) I can say ability damage was the least of my worries. Game knowledge, spell usage, save stacking, and positioning made dealing with those pretty trivial. Ie, send your high save/warded tank up front to absorb all the AoE spells/pulses that do ability damage and nuke the enemies from an angle. Clever usage of Dimension Door will set your party for a perfect flank to get rid of those threats in just one round while they spent all their best abilities on the mostly impervious tank.

Then again, that's using TB settings, and manipulating your turn sequence to make all the pieces fall in the way you want them to. Probably works in RTwP too, but I who would play that?

It was much easier as a cleric, for sure ;) I like that the game has those questions and checks in domains that are important for the story.

But I do hate the number of ability damages we get in Pathfinder in a very short time, especially when they're permanent (I cheated with the difficulty settings and made them restore when resting).

During a simple combat, some enemies can permanently damage the ability of an entire group in one round, and all I have is Death Ward which only applies to one ally at a time. It's just not sustainable. Maybe I'm missing something.

Weren't you playing on normal? Stat damage that can be removed by lesser restoration goes away after resting on normal.

I also found so many diamond dusts, I had no issues casting restoration and greater restoration.

But I do agree there are a lot of stat damaging attacks/spells in WotR and Kingmaker. Do remember it works both ways tho (as in, you can do the same to your enemies).

Weren't you playing on normal? Stat damage that can be removed by lesser restoration goes away after resting on normal.

I also found so many diamond dusts, I had no issues casting restoration and greater restoration.

But I do agree there are a lot of stat damaging attacks/spells in WotR and Kingmaker. Do remember it works both ways tho (as in, you can do the same to your enemies).
I used to eat them like candy in Kingmaker :D

Yes, I'm playing on normal. I took a few restoration spells, and I'm happily using that (or rest), but so far it wasn't necessary very much so I only have a limited amount. In Drezen they're quickly consumed.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to identify - and not forget! - which enemies do that sort of damage, either in melee or ranged. I'm probably not paying enough attention to that.

Then again, that's using TB settings, and manipulating your turn sequence to make all the pieces fall in the way you want them to. Probably works in RTwP too, but I who would play that?
TB takes too much time and is too bugged to play, I've given up on this mode for the time being, even if I like it a lot. I suspect the game has been created with RTwP in mind anyway, like Kingmaker, or they would have adapted the encounters for TB.

Indeed, the confusion that comes with RTwP doesn't help in this case. Even when one assigns targets or positions to companions, chances are they'll change their mind as soon as you're leaving them on their own. But it's hectic and fun.

Back
Top Bottom