Assassin's Creed: Odyssey - More Reviews

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Two more reviews of Assassin's Creed: Odyssey:

Gaminglyf - Score 4/5:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a stunning game - a gigantic beautiful recreation of Greece, with wonderful ship combat, smooth traversal and plenty of satisfying gameplay moments. Unfortunately numerous design decisions lead to a mix of frustrating gameplay with numerous glimpses of greatness. It's not perfect, but it undoubtedly offers plenty of the series' best.
Mancunion - Score 8.5/10:

However, as I said, these are mainly minor qualms and they don’t even come close to sabotaging this game in the way that previous titles have. I have to admit, for a person who held this series as, arguably, his favourite of all time, during its heyday, I’ve been waiting a long time for Assassin’s Creed to get back on track. But Odyssey does more than that: in following on from Origins and the reinvention of the game’s central mechanics, by adding several layers of depth to the varying types of gameplay, and choosing one the most interesting and abundant periods in history to construct is parkour-filled playground, this game has rekindled my love for this amazing series and given me hope that it will continue in its return to former, one could say, Athenian glory.
More information.

Seems Daniel Vavra of Warhorse Studios hates Odyssey.
As much as I liked Origins (and I really did), I dont like Odyssey. Graphics are worse (random landscape generator like), voiceovers sound like parody with those ridiculous accents and story is a joke so far. The difference between players and press ratings is interesting.
Link - https://twitter.com/DanielVavra/status/1049824975652294657

Seems Daniel Vavra of Warhorse Studios hates Odyssey.
Link - https://twitter.com/DanielVavra/status/1049824975652294657

I disagree with him on all those points.

Graphics in Odyssey is better and locations and stuff are more varied. Origins looks really amazing at the start due to Egypt but it get "samey" very quickly due to the desert nature of it. There are some ares which are created by random landscape generator but so was in Origins! Don't tell me they created all those dessert by hand!

I don't want to be racist here but to me voiceovers seem to match the accent used by Greek people when they speak in English! I work with few Greek guys and I have visited couple of places in Greece. Ubisoft pretty much used majority Greek voice actors so I don't know what he is on about.

I am not that far into that game yet but main story seems more interesting in Odyssey than it was in Origins. Side quest are definitely better than Origins. Again puzzled by this criticism.

Now the biggest criticism I have for Odyssey compared to Origins is the reduced exp and I have to give it @Ripper; in that microtransactions is the reason for that. Its not game breaking for me as I am used to grind in MMO but Origins gave out plenty more exp than Odyssey.

Last edited:
I love the way they defend charging $10 for the option to raise XP gain by 50% as "player choice". They should talk to Owlcat (Praise Be) about player choice. It involves a toggle switch in a menu, and is not activated by a credit card.

AD 2018 is close to it's end. There will be goty awards *everywhere*.
Candidates are? Why, KCD and ACO2 (Origins would be 1 so Odyssey is, yea).
Of course Vavra "doesn't like" the game. And I can't disagree more with him about those specific points he mentions.
He missed an opportunity to stigmatize microtransactions. Here's hope goty voters won't ignore that.

XP is pisspoor only in radiant quests.
It has nothing to do with XP boost microtransaction but with the stupid lootboxes system, legendary items and cosmetics that can drop from those lootboxes you don't need. Also they're selling for real $ a map of orichalcum ore - where a player who buys that map is basically paying to grind.
Anyway… Do not accept radiant quests!

Wrote already in tips&hints thread. You get enormous amount of XP in skirmishes that last about 5 minutes of your time. Ground ones. Sea ones, in my case, lasted a minute or two more.
It's so much of XP doing just 2-3 skirmishes (okay, conquests) will make you level up. Of course you can't grind them over and over as everyone would just do them, they are enabled randomly or you have to work your way on a map area to initiate one.

Posted before. XP boost is there to cash in on speedrunners who want to play only the main story and ignore everything else. While I can't stand speedrunners (and their reviews) I still say any type of microtransactions in fullpriced game is bullshit that needs to be punished by lowering the game score in reviews.

If it matters I've opened about 50% of the map so far and am not even 50% of the main story done (I'm in the middle of chapter 3). Yet, I'm already level 40 (dunno what's level cap but I suppose it's 50). How's that even possible? Easy. When I enter the game, I check if a skirmish is available somewhere, if there is one, I go for it before continuing. After each main quest solved, I check again, any skirmish opened?
I'm not alone:
https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1942974-Level-cap!?p=13724121

Last edited:
I agree with joxer there are ways to get very large chunk of xp and level up fast and you can avoid the cash shop xp boost.

However, I don't play single player games these days to play the "meta" game or "game" the game. I want to experience to be organic as possible so that I am fully immersed in the game world. This is why I don't want to start the game and look for these random conquest battles. This takes you away from the immersion and reminds you that you are "meta" gaming. Having said that, its not huge issue as these battles are less than 5 minutes but still they take away from otherwise a great game experience and you have greed from Ubi to blame for that.

On positive note, I am really loving the combat. Its really fun and once you learn the controls possibilities and strategies it open up are endless. I am lot confident in taking on bosses and min bosess few levels above me. And I am proud of the fact that I killed that boar from hell without taking any damage!

No need to grind the skirmishes. Just collect the XP boosts on participating packs of Totinos!

490f47J.jpg

Available wherever pizza rolls are sold.

No need to grind the skirmishes. Just collect the XP boosts on participating packs of Totinos!

490f47J.jpg

Available wherever pizza rolls are sold.
Yep food of the gods and bought cheaply. You used to be able to buy one of those small pizzas for a dollar but nowadays it has almost doubled in price. The rolls cost a lot more.

They also go under a different brand name called Jenos.

Another thing about Vavra. Odyssey is selling like a cure and everyone is playing it. Well… KCD audience does. And that same audience is currently ignoring anything that's happening at the market. Of course Vavra is not so happy because:
https://www.vg247.com/2018/10/11/kingdom-come-deliverance-dlc-release-date/
Kingdom Come: Deliverance DLC Amorous Adventures of bold Sir Hans Capon out next week
:D

------------------------

I mentioned orichalcum bullshit but am not sure if this article is bs too or is deliberately trolling. Read it for laughs, just don't go for it (grind).
https://www.pcgamer.com/assassins-creed-odyssey-orichalcum/
We break down Orichalcum, the in-game currency you earn for completing daily and weekly quests in Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

I don't want to be racist here but to me voiceovers seem to match the accent used by Greek people when they speak in English! I work with few Greek guys and I have visited couple of places in Greece. Ubisoft pretty much used majority Greek voice actors so I don't know what he is on about.

Greek is not a race, it is a nationality.
SMH…

Last edited by a moderator:
Imho Vavra is right about the voice over language. If the protagonist is a greek native, they should have used plain english without accent.

Imho Vavra is right about the voice over language. If the protagonist is a greek native, they should have used plain english without accent.

You mean that if we're suspending disbelief that they're speaking English in Ancient Greece, what's the point in a contemporary Greek accent?

Why? I wouldn't mind greek vo with english subs. But seriously, I don't see any problems Vavra does.
I am fully immersed in the game world.

I am proud of the fact that I killed that boar from hell without taking any damage!
Immerse… Are you JDR's or dart's second account? :p

You fight with a spear, right? ;)

I don't understand this. Are you saying protagonist should sound like an English person?
I have a Greek guy at work and he speaks English with an accent similar to the game.

I'm still not quite sure what Vavra's point is about the accents. I'm assuming he means that if you set something in Classical Rome, like Gladiator or I Claudius, you don't usually have everyone speaking in modern Italian accents. I could see that criticism.

You fight with a spear, right? ;)

No, I used swords! The trick was, I locked onto the boar and had space bar(dodge)
and W (move forward) always pressed down. This meant I was dodging behind the boar non stop! It took like good 15 minute but it died :)

I'm still not quite sure what Vavra's point is about the accents. I'm assuming he means that if you set something in Classical Rome, like Gladiator or I Claudius, you don't usually have everyone speaking in modern Italian accents. I could see that criticism.

Ah ic. I call that nitpicking more than criticism :) Or like we say here, he was being anal about it...

Its preference really but I would have been happy with both.

Yes, I'm not sure there's a brilliant justification for everyone in Classical or fantasy environments being British. Though it is obviously correct. :biggrin:

Yes, I'm not sure there's a brilliant justification for everyone in Classical or fantasy environments being British. Though it is obviously correct. :biggrin:

I say for added authenticity they should speak in Greek and we should all read the subtitles :lol:

No, I used swords! The trick was, I locked onto the boar and had space bar(dodge)
and W (move forward) always pressed down. This meant I was dodging behind the boar non stop! It took like good 15 minute but it died :)
Yea, and someone (can't remember who) said AC is not copypasted Dark Souls dodger bosses. ;)

Back
Top Bottom