RPGDot - Returned from Slumber

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
I have restored RPGDot and made it available on our server. As the code used for RPGDot was rather insecure, I decided to crawl a local running version of the site and create HTML pages of as much as was possible. This is something I have been busy with since February. Well, actually my PC has been busy, a lot! In the last iteration I've decided it was enough, even if it is still not perfect.

The result is that RPGDot as we knew it on June 13, 2006 has been restored. It is not perfect. There are links that don't work, images that won't load, funny characters in texts and some other stuff. On the forums the usergroups are not present and you cannot interact on the forums (they are statisc pages). If you want to share somwthing you have to do it in the RPGWatch forums.
Alse, there is no search option. You will just have to wait until the spiders of the various search engines have done their thing and search through them (on google, just postfix your search criteria with site:rpgdot.rpgwatch.com).

The contents of the site is from somewhere in 2001 till June 13, 2006. RPGDot existed before that time (it started in 1999), but I don't have that data available anymore. RPGDot also existed after June 13, 2006, but I don't have that data either.

Some more numbers I can share, this version of RPGDot consists of close to 1.5 million files (html and images), with a total size of around 67GB. There are over 1000 errors reported by the crawler, because of various reasons. But, given the total amount of processed files, 1000 isn't that much really. I have no plans of making any further modifications at this point in time. If you feel something should be modified comment on our forums and I'll see if and what I can do.

You can find the link to RPGDot at the top of every page on RPGWatch and in the News menu bar.

Enjoy!

More information.

Nice one! I'll be sure to do some browsing there.

Never joined RPGDot but I remember checking it every week for news.:)

Ah, feels like home. :)
Thanks for all the work!

Wow... travelling back in time :)

My daily browsing, as is Rpgwatch today.

Thank you for the good work :)

What are you doing? Like I don't waste enough time already ;)

Already looking at the top 100 list way too long.

Wow, that is a blast from the past. The design looks really dated now. Thank god RPGWatch only looks around 10-15 years old... ;p

I miss websites like that as modern ones are built for phones & pads viewing first. It's all block boxes and less colors nowadays. Most major RPG sites have switched.

Wow, that was a long time ago. I remember that color scheme for sure anyway. I don't think I posted in forums back then, but I was definitely a frequent lurker.

Ah, that's like a comfy pair of slippers. I still sometimes type in rpgdot by accident!
Thanks for this :)

Now all we need are gonegold and ve3d, and my nostalgia trip will be complete :)

Any chance of an optional rpgdot "theme" for the Watch?

Ahhh, I read those forums back before I even registered!! Thanks for the revival, I'll be sure to check out some of those older threads.

Very familiar main page! :D

We had a similar, all-genres gaming site from 1999 to 2014

For reporting we used our own invented language-phrases - much beloved by the fans - and had our own world with NPC's - one of our furry bird mascot [original idea was probably an amalgamation of muppet show birds] was surprisingly similar to the later coming out "created as original IP" red Angry Birds character, I'm still suspecting them stealing that NPC idea from us..

Anyway, our cult following was so strong, that our fans couldn't take that we closed the site and they created a substitute still tended today.

Last edited:
It was my homepage back in the day when I had dial-up modem. Nice surprise for me to see it again. :) Thank you very much.

By the way, its logo was way cooler than Rpgwatch. No offense. :D

Looking back, everything was MMO back in 2006. For once, I'm glad of progress!

No. Way.

Very nice work!

EDIT: right after taking a look at the site, I noticed this tall, hooded guy (a farmer?) looming right over my shoulder. No one else can see him. Was he always standing there?

Although I never created an account there, I still remember checking RPGDot regularly before RPGWatch sprang to life.

I feel old now :)

WOW!

This way beats archive.org for finding stuff

I see that

Lucky Day

posted on that very last day - NWN naturally. @Corwin; sometimes chided him as guest for daring to have an opinion and sometimes arguing because he never registered.

Dhruin had been hinting something was up for a few months then you guys dropped the Watch bomb.

Why do some people have an
rpgdotlogo.gif
above their avatars?

Its too bad about the hosted sites - I imaging a lot of people (definitely not me) are interested in the gothic site. I liked the Ultima.dot. I'm not complaining because you've done an amazing amount of work here @Myrthos;. Your machine did most of the work sure, but you had to sit and monitor it. That's never easy waiting for these things to finish like waiting for toast to pop up for 30 days and listening to that darn fan all the time.

There is a problem though. Something looks way odd now that half the screen is not taken up by a banner ad. Why did you guys leave that place?

Why did you guys leave that place?
I'm no expert on the matter but it if I remember from past threads the RPGDot site owner wanted to go commercial, and was bought by a sponsor. Can't remember who.

So part of the staff left over that decision and other issues.

They formed RPGWatch and RPGDot closed down sometime after.

Back
Top Bottom