|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Obsidian Entertainment - The Outer Worlds Trademark

Default Obsidian Entertainment - The Outer Worlds Trademark

February 6th, 2018, 08:13
A user called UrbaNebula on the Obsidian forums, noticed a trademark filing for The Outer Worlds attributed to Obsidian.

So I was digging around on Justia Trademarks out of interest, mainly looking for any new information on the Starfield trademark filed by Bethesda Game Studios. Out of interest I started looking into other projects, Fallout, New Vegas and so on, to see when they were filed and the different stages and so on. Basically, I was very bored. I then looked up Pillars of Eternity, and clicked through to the Obsidian page to see the other things they had filed and when. I was expecting to see things like Project Eternity, Tyranny and so on.

Then I noticed that just over a week ago there were four new trademarks filed for something called The Outer Worlds. These trademarks seem to include everything from videogame software to printed media to board/trading card games. You can see the trademarks for yourself here: https://trademarks.j…nt-inc-1303648/

The only major reference I could find to the same title was a novel (first in a series) published in 2016: https://www.amazon.c…k/dp/B01JVS6OU6

It may well be entirely unrelated as I assume Obsidian would want to write and develop the story themselves, but the blurb from that page sounds exactly like the premise for a role playing adventure:

"An alien invasion sweeps across the galaxy. The hope of humanity rests with an exile from an ancient empire and his loyal crew. They must work together to save the human race from imminent extinction. High adventure on a galactic scale."

I don't know if this means anything, but knowing that Obsidian is working on Pillars 2 and a secret AAA RPG, this looks a lot like they are going all in with it. A tie in TCG, and printed media similar perhaps to the All Roads graphic novel which tied in with New Vegas?

Would be interesting to see what you guys think?
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

February 6th, 2018, 10:01
Thanks Silver.
An Obsidian sci-fi RPG based on a new IP? That would be absolutely awesome. I hope this is right, but I guess we'll see.

Pongo

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
+1:

February 6th, 2018, 10:13
I doubt the book has any connection to whatever Obsidian is up to, but the title does sound like space-operatic sci-fi. Given Obsidian's history of tackling Bioware cast-offs, and Bioware's abandonment of Mass Effect, I guess that would make sense. What with EA having driven the former into the ground there's a market niche that needs filling.

khaight

Sentinel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

February 6th, 2018, 10:30
Goddamnit. I was really hoping for a much more unique setting for Obsidian’s next IP. Namely ANYTHING except Tolkienesque fantasy, post-apocalypse or space. I mean, it’s Obsidian so I’ll absolutely give any RPG they release a shot but I would be way more psyched for a grimy occult detective setting or an RPG based on a largely untapped folklore and culture. Or basically Sandman the CRPG.

TheSnarkyShaman

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

February 6th, 2018, 10:57
It would be really nice to see sci fi rpg from Obsidian again. Hope that it's true

borovnica

Watcher

February 6th, 2018, 11:38
There is definitely a gap in the market now. Star Wars is going nowhere single player and Mass Effect has sunk without a trace.

I would prefer a turn-based or rtwp affair to an action rpg but I'm sure it will be well designed regardless.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

February 6th, 2018, 12:09
Could you see a space game using divinity orignal sin engine where acid melts metal and fire burns wild in oxygen ?

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
+1:

February 6th, 2018, 14:17
This sounds very interesting!

Perhaps they can make use of some ideas that they had for "Aliens RPG" and combine it with their more recent experience of creating party based crpgs in "Pillars".

Feist

Watchdog

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

February 6th, 2018, 16:14
Hmm why can't we get a modern day version of something like this?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/pl…ShotId,634217/
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
+1:

February 6th, 2018, 16:47
I would love to play a new Privateer, but there is one GIANT problem with that. EA destroyed Origin Systems and now just produces garbage.

ds77

Watcher

+1:

February 6th, 2018, 16:49
Originally Posted by TheSnarkyShaman View Post
Goddamnit. I was really hoping for a much more unique setting for Obsidian’s next IP. Namely ANYTHING except Tolkienesque fantasy, post-apocalypse or space. I mean, it’s Obsidian so I’ll absolutely give any RPG they release a shot but I would be way more psyched for a grimy occult detective setting or an RPG based on a largely untapped folklore and culture. Or basically Sandman the CRPG.
To be fair, all we have so far is a possible name. The link to the sci fi novel in the original post is just speculation by the looks of things. "The Outer Worlds" definitely sounds sci-fi to me, but who knows? Maybe it's actually a dark occult game about different interlinked worlds, kinda like a sinister Magic Faraway Tree.
But yeah it's probably space opera.

Pongo

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

February 6th, 2018, 18:01
It's not necessarily sci-fi, but could be a reference to planar travel and such in a fantasy setting. But sure, I'll hope for a sci-fi game as well.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

February 6th, 2018, 19:18
From the developers that recently brought us Tranny, and Pillars of Eternity II crap junk games… comes NOW an entirely NEW crap junk game: In Space wooOOaaaww

mercy

SasqWatch

February 6th, 2018, 20:00
I want a Pillars of Eternity style isometric, party-based RPG in a space-faring scifi setting. Maybe a retro Buck Rogers kind of aesthetic.
--
I play retro games on Twitch
Follow me on Twitter.

GuybrushWilco

Pirate Janitor

February 6th, 2018, 20:43
How can you judge a game that hasn't been released ?

Originally Posted by mercy View Post
From the developers that recently brought us Tranny, and Pillars of Eternity II crap junk games… comes NOW an entirely NEW crap junk game: In Space wooOOaaaww

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

February 6th, 2018, 21:04
Originally Posted by GuybrushWilco View Post
I want a Pillars of Eternity style isometric, party-based RPG in a space-faring scifi setting. Maybe a retro Buck Rogers kind of aesthetic.
Well this game is not going to be that, except for the sci fi setting.

Archangel

SasqWatch

February 6th, 2018, 21:08
I'll take a "keep my mouth shut and wait and see" on this, but I'm not very optimistic about it, to be frank.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

February 6th, 2018, 21:09
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I'll take a "keep my mouth shut and wait and see" on this, but I'm not very optimistic about it, to be frank.
Anyone that enjoyed at least two out of 3 Troika games should be very optimistic about this game. Also same people that worked on Troika games brought us Fallout 1.

Archangel

SasqWatch

February 6th, 2018, 21:57
I was gonna be Frank too, but my mom wouldn't let me

Maybe I could be Herbert…but then I'm be duned…
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

February 7th, 2018, 12:04
I'd say there is actually a pretty good chance this is correct. Firstly because a lot of the designers and writers are big sci-fi fans and also that they have worked on sci-fi previously (although it was cancelled).
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Obsidian Entertainment - The Outer Worlds Trademark