Owlcat Games - Guess Our Next Game Competition

The picture looks to me like medieval european … like I know it from TDE …
Yep, could be Ferdok (or any other medium-sized town in the Middenrealm) . :)

100% it is at least in pathfinder universe, they even call their readers Pathfinders.

What we should be worried about if this is some HoMM clone instead of RPG.
1. They are Russians and Russians love their HoMM clones
2. This is a puzzle similar to those found in HoMM
Not only that my friend. Owlcat is composed by veterans from Nival Interactive, the russian development company who made Heroes of Might and Magic V. I remember watching the first videos of the Pathfinder project and recognizing some of their faces. HOMMV included this grail hunting minigame, as it was inherited from the great HOMM3.

And let me tell you, if it was indeed a HOMM clone this would make me a really happy man. They would eventually make another Pathfinder RPG anyway, and we're not short of good old style RPGs in any case. But a HOMM like game? Truly HOMM like with its management and tactics layer and a bit of RPG? Those we don't have any unfortunately, and the failures of Ubisoft have left a hungry fanbase behind.

In any case it will most likely be a sequel to Pathfinder but I find very cute of them this little homage to their past. It kind of makes me want to play Pathfinder actually. If only I had the time to play these long games these days...

HoMM 3 is one of the greatest games of all time. I would give them big $$ for their kickstarter, if they were making a new HoMM type game.
Amen to that. When we got the kickstarter fever a few years back I always thought it was crazy nobody came up with a spiritual successor to HOMM (I bet if John Van Canaghem had come with such a project it would have been a major success), but it looks like kids are not interested in that kind of games anymore.

I mean I loved HoMM 2 and HoMM 3 but I loved BG series more. So I would still prefer another Pathfinder RPG over a HoMM style game. They can make that after.

First clue is out - its actually a puzzle that opens to reveal clues.

https://twitter.com/OwlcatGames/status/1200491712491196416?s=20

I see what appears to be a blue skeleton.. gah, is it Skulls and Shackles? :(

Skulls and Shackles is about pirates, that doesn't appear to be that.

The building behind the skeleton suggest Mummy's Mask to me. It's set in a rarely used setting in video games: ancient Egypt (aka Osirion for Pathfinder). It's basically Brendan Fraiser's The Mummy movie series with some Indiana Jones.

Other PF adventure with undeads:
- Carrion Crown which is horror based
- Curse of the Crimson Throne (not as central as in Carrion Crown and Mummy's Mask)

None of these have feature similar like Kingmaker kingdom management, so we might have misunderstood Owlcat's "hook" comment.

Skulls and Shackles is about pirates, that doesn't appear to be that.

The building behind the skeleton suggest Mummy's Mask to me. It's set in a rarely used setting in video games: ancient Egypt (aka Osirion for Pathfinder). It's basically Brendan Fraiser's The Mummy movie series with some Indiana Jones.

Other PF adventure with undeads:
- Carrion Crown which is horror based
- Curse of the Crimson Throne (not as central as in Carrion Crown and Mummy's Mask)

None of these have feature similar like Kingmaker kingdom management, so we might have misunderstood Owlcat's "hook" comment.

There's a picture of Owlcat's Pathfinder book collection on instagram and the one right in the middle is Curse of the Crimson Throne!!

From looking at that picture it’s not entirely clear if it’s an undead. It appears to be an armored target being blasted by lightning, you can see the helmet flying off. It may be a skeleton but I think it’s more likely it’s just someone in the process of being disintegrated by whatever spell that is.

Didn't Nival make that wonderful turn base strategy game which name i can't remember. All I remember was I had to shoot through wood but not metal and knock the towers down ;)
-
Anyway I think i would like to see a revival of that game. Having said that I always wonder what is it like to work in Russia; i mean we hear a lot about organize crime and other harsh stuff and is it really that bad if you actually live there or does it only impact the wealthy ?

Not only that my friend. Owlcat is composed by veterans from Nival Interactive, the russian development company who made Heroes of Might and Magic V. I remember watching the first videos of the Pathfinder project and recognizing some of their faces. HOMMV included this grail hunting minigame, as it was inherited from the great HOMM3.

And let me tell you, if it was indeed a HOMM clone this would make me a really happy man. They would eventually make another Pathfinder RPG anyway, and we're not short of good old style RPGs in any case. But a HOMM like game? Truly HOMM like with its management and tactics layer and a bit of RPG? Those we don't have any unfortunately, and the failures of Ubisoft have left a hungry fanbase behind.

In any case it will most likely be a sequel to Pathfinder but I find very cute of them this little homage to their past. It kind of makes me want to play Pathfinder actually. If only I had the time to play these long games these days…

Amen to that. When we got the kickstarter fever a few years back I always thought it was crazy nobody came up with a spiritual successor to HOMM (I bet if John Van Canaghem had come with such a project it would have been a major success), but it looks like kids are not interested in that kind of games anymore.

Well, their campaign apparently works. ;)

Does it have to be a module? Can't they just make up their own thingy?

According to a person on their official forum who has contacts within Owlcat, Paizo are very strict when it comes to new content. Probably easier to adapt an adventure path which leaves a lots of space for homemade side content and "homebrew" stuff then try to write a whole new thing and get it approved.

Also, they wouldn't be playing this little game if the image under the puzzle wasn't recognizable by Pathfinder pnp players.

Didn't Nival make that wonderful turn base strategy game which name i can't remember. All I remember was I had to shoot through wood but not metal and knock the towers down ;)
-
Anyway I think i would like to see a revival of that game. Having said that I always wonder what is it like to work in Russia; i mean we hear a lot about organize crime and other harsh stuff and is it really that bad if you actually live there or does it only impact the wealthy ?
It impacts anyone not considered "normal". And normal are those that love traditional values promoted by Putin. You know, it works same like any other dictator system.

And the turn based game you cannot remember is Silent Storm.

They also developed two Etherlords games, which were flawed (especially the first one) but amusing.

I actually loved Etherlords 2 at the time and even replayed it once later. Etherlords 1 was completely awful though.

I was a big fan of Nival Interactive. Eventually, since these guys seem to be making money, I'd love to see another Silent Storm sequel or one for the often-overlooked Hammer & Sickle.

Don't forget they made a few other classic games like Rage of Mages & Evil Islands also.

Didn't play those. Maybe I should go find them. :)

I tried Evil Islands. I gave up. Far too hard for my taste. But I read that especially Russian players like hard difficulties …

It's that whole chess-playing tradition. :p

I have no idea if that's actually true, but the Russians and Eastern Europeans are, generally speaking, my favorite developers. First off, there seems to be a real love for RPGs. They also often seem to be more willing to play with the genre -- try some things a bit new. Next, I'd go with the Germans, who also seem to have a real love for RPGs. They're just a bit more traditional, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Back
Top Bottom