Diablo 4 - Official Gameplay Trailer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Ragnaris spotted the official Diablo 4 gameplay trailer:

Diablo IV Official Gameplay Trailer

Diablo IV is the newest incarnation of the genre defining ARPG players have come to know and love. Hellish new features, brutal challenges, and an indisputable return to darkness lie at the core of our hard work. Take a glimpse into the terror that awaits.
More information.

I've seen the first panel at blizzcon, besides the info in the opening ceremony, and man they scored it out of the park imo. Going back to Diablo 2 both in terms of art style and mechanics. A return of skill levels, talents and runes. I'm so excited.

And they said it's very far off, not even "blizzard soon". It's gonna be a hard few years.

The Unveiled panel which just ended is publicly available. The other two panels that will go into deep mechanics and world/lore are not unfortunately.

Diablo 4 Unveiled - Blizzcon 2019 Panel
https://blizzcon.com/en-us/watch?v=5db34307d3912e1df8fe285f&eventYear=2019

Wolfcryer's Diablo 4 Gameplay Stream:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/502597635

Last edited:
I've seen the first panel at blizzcon, besides the info in the opening ceremony, and man they scored it out of the park imo. Going back to Diablo 2 both in terms of art style and mechanics. A return of skill levels, talents and runes. I'm so excited.

And they said it's very far off, not even "blizzard soon". It's gonna be a hard few years.

The Unveiled panel which just ended is publicly available. The other two panels that will go into deep mechanics and world/lore are not unfortunately.

Diablo 4 Unveiled - Blizzcon 2019 Panel
https://blizzcon.com/en-us/watch?v=5db34307d3912e1df8fe285f&eventYear=2019

Wolfcryer's Diablo 4 Gameplay Stream:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/502597635
I didn't get this same optimistic impression. D3 got me to buy it based on Act 1 that was better than the rest of the game.
I am not going to make the same mistake with D4, this time I am waiting for review and reports from players before I give them any money.

In the meantime, Path of Exile 4.0 expansion that is supposed to battle vs Diablo 4 is coming out by end of 2020 and it might make D4 obsolete even before it is out.

I didn't get this same optimistic impression. D3 got me to buy it based on Act 1 that was better than the rest of the game.
I am not going to make the same mistake with D4, this time I am waiting for review and reports from players before I give them any money.

In the meantime, Path of Exile 4.0 expansion that is supposed to battle vs Diablo 4 is coming out by end of 2020 and it might make D4 obsolete even before it is out.

Path of Exile just never managed to scratch my itch. Maybe I'm too picky, but the low-budget of it just never caught me. Just having good mechanics is not enough for me. I need visceral combat and great animations, and that usually requires a certain budget. POE is great mechanically, but as I said, that's not enough for me. So I'm really excited about D4.

But they said D4 is quite a while off. They actually said it's not even "blizzard soon". So that's how far off it is. Possibly even 3-4 years. Considering they just recently rebooted D4 from scratch (according to a Kotaku article), what they're showing now could very well be just a vertical slice that was made especially for Blizzcon 2019. And they still have quite a lot more to develop.

Path of Exile making Diablo obsolete pfffahaha. Best laugh I've had in all week. Blizzard's success seems to hurt so much in this site in general.

Now that is the Diablo I remember! If they make this a good singleplayer game I might even buy it.

Otherwise it might be worth it to just watch the cut scenes on YT...

Path of Exile making Diablo obsolete pfffahaha. Best laugh I've had in all week. Blizzard's success seems to hurt so much in this site in general.
I don't know how much you have been following but Path of Exile already made D3 obsolete a while ago.

And PoE 4.0 will bring who knows what. We will find out in about 2 weeks when they start unveiling it.

Diablo 3 made itself obsolete, Path of Exile is merely an alcoholics anonymous fellowship of broken souls looking for a home. The day Diablo 4 appears in the market nobody will even know what Path of Exile is. That is, until Blizzard breaks it again, probably, and they flock back crying about how awful Blizzard is to whatever FotM ARPG is around, be it PoE, Lost Ark or whatever random name you wanna give it. Very few things unite more than banding together in scorn towards the big evil successful companies.

Kind of like how for 15 years every new mmo general chat was full WoW-hate, all the wronged souls anticipating how this one mmo, yes, this very one mmo would be the WoW killer. None of those mmo's remains, and WoW is still the most alive game in the genre, in a time where mmo's aren't a thing anymore.

If it's any indication, right now there are 4 or 5 streamers playing the Diablo 4 pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha demo from Blizzcon and they have 50k viewers, while all the hundred of PoE streamers combined have like 1.5k viewers.

Well I be damned, actually interested into this. Aesthetics are so bloody-not Blizzard.

I don't know how much you have been following but Path of Exile already made D3 obsolete a while ago.
Nah, tried getting into it.. gameplay/combat is nowhere near as good to D3 ( or in ANY similar games . The feedback, "fluidity" simply isn't there. Just look at that segment when sorc turns into lightning ball and wrecks everything on screen.
If they don't screw up builds/itemization, hard to see anyone dethroning Blizz here.

Hope they bring assassin back, have no idea why they cut it out.

Hope they bring assassin back, have no idea why they cut it out.

I also hope for a rogue/assassin to be part of the initial 5 chars. I'm not sure why they only chose to go with 5. Probably to mimick what Diablo 2 did. But I'm scared about what will get left out. There's still the knight, archer, summoner archetypes that will be left out. So out of those, only two more will make the initial release. They did say they will release further expansions.

I've enjoyed the Diablo games of the past but they always left me feeling as though I had not been productive, just sort of going through the motions albeit fun for a bit. That's very different for pretty much all of the other games I play in which I care about the story and feel as though I have accomplished something after playing it.

I don't anticipate having any interest in Diablo 4.

Graphic design and atmosphere made me interested. And yeah, Blizz does know how to make cinematics. Apart of that not much info available, so only future will tell if its good game. Hell, if release is still far, even aesthetics and atmosphere can be much different in final product. So, who knows ...

Thanks HiddenX!

I've watched the reveal a few times to dissect it. It's visually darker, no doubt. However, this may just be me, but textures seem a bit…muddy? Blurry? Hard to describe, but they don't seem too refined. Tonally, I think it's going in the right direction.

Gameplay looks interesting, though. I think I would describe it as fluid, at least the trailer made it look that way. I'd like to try the Druid.

Last edited:
Well I be damned, actually interested into this. Aesthetics are so bloody-not Blizzard.

Nah, tried getting into it.. gameplay/combat is nowhere near as good to D3 ( or in ANY similar games . The feedback, "fluidity" simply isn't there. Just look at that segment when sorc turns into lightning ball and wrecks everything on screen.
If they don't screw up builds/itemization, hard to see anyone dethroning Blizz here.
That sorc that clears screen with that skill is like 1% of ways you can do that in PoE lol. In PoE not only that you clear your screen, you often clear screens outside your vision with many skills.

D3 does have decent feeling combat but everything else is casual tier and not worth playing for.

PoE is more like Diablo 2 but then goes crazy and in its own way as you near and enter endgame.

I also hope for a rogue/assassin to be part of the initial 5 chars. I'm not sure why they only chose to go with 5. Probably to mimick what Diablo 2 did. But I'm scared about what will get left out. There's still the knight, archer, summoner archetypes that will be left out. So out of those, only two more will make the initial release. They did say they will release further expansions.

So they can sell us more with expansions.. DUH :p

Gameplay hints at redirection, could be friction in the air.

I'm not sure why they only chose to go with 5.

Maybe because it will take more work to bring characters in if the redirection in gameplay is confirmed.

Seeing the two other characters in action will give out more information, the way they work, how their strengths express and which conditions attached to it.

Not sure there is much room to add characters after characters.

Back
Top Bottom