Lords of the Fallen

Grangokhan

Watchdog
‘Lords of the Fallen’ is a dark action-RPG being developed by a former ‘Witcher 2′ developer, and it looks a lot like ‘Dark Souls.’

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/06/17/lords-of-the-fallen-looks-like-a-next-gen-dark-souls/

lords-of-the-fallen-1-e1371482138593.jpg

"Set in a richly created fantasy world where the Gods have failed mankind, players will take on the role of a human named Harkyn who sets out on a quest to stand against an apparently unstoppable supernatural force. Players travel across a world that is deeply dived by those that follow and others that resist the Fallen God. Along their journey they will be faced with a series of decisions that will alter both the world and their character thus dramatically impacting the storyline."

"It's a hardcore game, so we spent a lot of time prototyping it," executive producer Tomasz Gop - once the face of The Witcher 1 & 2 - told me at Polish event Digital Dragons.

Promisingly, Lords of the Fallen will have been in development for two years come September. "It's a hardcore game, so we spent a lot of time prototyping it," executive producer Tomasz Gop - once the face of The Witcher 1 & 2 - told me at Polish event Digital Dragons.

The aim is to get it out at some point next year.

"It's a challenging game, action RPG, which means a lot of advanced combat," he explained. "When you walk through a location, and you have to fight 10 enemies, that takes around an hour.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...allenging-pc-and-next-gen-consoles-action-rpg

Seems worth keeping an eye on.

Last edited:
I keep forgetting about this one. Surely worth keeping an eye on. Has there been any gameplay video footage yet?
No the coverage found right now is the same stuff recycled since E3. Probably wont be any videos till next year at best.

Doesn't look like we'll be able to cover this at the GC, although developer Deck 13 is there and publisher City Interactive probably too.

What did he say up there? I'll be like Dark Souls (the "awsomest" console port on PC)?
I'm definelty not buying if it's even a tiniest bit similar to that.

And thanks for posting about this game. Sometimes we do indeed overlook RPGs ... and especially games outside the big franchises need more visibility.

Looks very interesting! This one had passed me by too.

What did he say up there? I'll be like Dark Souls (the "awsomest" console port on PC)?
I'm definelty not buying if it's even a tiniest bit similar to that.

Granted the PC port sucked ass but if you played it on console I'd imagine your opinion could be different.

I like that this game is an action-RPG but will actually have challenging combat. Hopefully that's combined with a non-linear narrative.

I'm currently playing Dark Souls an the PC (having previously played through it on the 360) and I've not encountered a single bug or glitch (and I've modded the resolution and UI). So it's made it to a good state eventually, though clearly the PC was an afterthought and this wasn't the right way to do a port.

I purchased Lords of the Fallen today and played for about an hour.

My early impression is that it's pretty solid. The combat is satisfyingly visceral and melee has a real feeling of impact. The visuals are very good minus the typical lack of anti-aliasing that DX11 games suffer from.

I haven't seen a lot of different enemies yet in the short time I've played it, but I'm impressed by the monster design in what I've seen so far. Instead of just having the typical high-fantasy type creatures you normally see in games like this, there are some monsters that are downright alien looking.

The controls are also very solid. Much better than the PC port of Dark Souls at least. I messed around for awhile with both K+M and a gamepad, and both felt equally smooth.

It runs great for me on High settings, and I haven't experienced any of the crashes or bugs that I've seen a lot of people talking about. Granted, I haven't played very long either.

My only complaint so far is the camera. It's pretty wonky in tight spaces, and there's no zoom feature which I like to have in 3rd-person games.

Based on what I've played so far, I'm surprised this game isn't mentioned more often around here.

Yes, excellent game. It was my game of the year.

Positives-
- exploration
- combat
- loot
- secret areas
- creative enemies
- move sets, different weapons play differently.
- great M&K support out of the box

Negatives-

- bugs and glitches on release
- wonky camera in close quarters
- story and ending

I lost interest in this game when it came out in such a horrendous state. Did the worst problems get ironed out? How stable is it?

I lost interest in this game when it came out in such a horrendous state. Did the worst problems get ironed out? How stable is it?

All my problems were fixed in the last patch. If you want to be sure though they are supposed to release another patch with the upcoming DLC

Are there visual clues for the secret areas?

Yes. The spoiler is just how to spot them. I didn't list where any are.

There are cracks in the walls, once you find 1 they all pretty much look the same. The only way to break them is to sprint towards one and the shield bash it. ( raise your shield as you hit it) there are also a couple areas you'll need to jump too, if you spot them.

I should say there are some other secret rooms to find but they're more obvious and you should find them pretty easily. The ones in the spoiler were much harder and I probably wouldn't have even looked for them if I hadn't stumbled on to one by accident.

Good to know, thanks Sakichop. I'm glad that this game eventually got in better condition - always a shame when a promising game simply doesn't get fixed.

The combat is satisfyingly visceral and melee has a real feeling of impact.
I shall have to have a peek. My search for truly satisfying melee combat in a game has been long.

How does the story/exposition compare to Dark Souls?

The story is more transparent in that there's actually a story there to follow but it's nothing special and wouldn't be a reason to play the game imo.

There is some C&C though but I only played through once so I have no idea if other choices actually make a difference.

I guess I should say there are choices, I'm not sure if there are consequences or not.:)

The story is more transparent in that there's actually a story there to follow but it's nothing special and wouldn't be a reason to play the game imo.

There is some C&C though but I only played through once so I have no idea if other choices actually make a difference.

I guess I should say there are choices, I'm not sure if there are consequences or not.:)

Thanks for the answer :)

I just bought it, as I'm curious.

The story doesn't really need to be good - but it does need to be there. I can't enjoy Dark Souls because I find the story too opaque and it might as well not be there at all.

How about exploration? Can you find books/journals/notes and stuff like that? Or is it Dark Souls with "glowing objects" here and there?

Back
Top Bottom