NWN 2: Storm of Zehir - Hotfix Available

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Staff Member
Avantenor sends word of an important hotfix for the game. Here's the text:
Obsidian released a Hotfix for an installation bug of SoZ.
SoZ deleted an important sound archive containing the whole MotB voice
overs. The new hotfix corrects this problem by downloading the missing
file via the autoupdater. It's about 340 MB, depending on one's game
language.
Thanks for the heads up.
More information.

?? Hotfix for an installation bug? How are folks going to know about the hotfix until after they have installed? How do you apply a hotfix to an installation program that's sitting on a DVD??

Edit: Oh, I get it. You install, it mangles Mask of the Betrayer. You update, it fixes Mask of the Betrayer again.

Atleast I haven't gotten the game yet so when I do I will copy that file somewhere else and put it back after.

Last edited:
Yeah, sounds like it shouldn't be such an effort to change the command that overwrites the MotB sound file; but if the problem is on the DVD, it can't be fixed. Instead it will then add 340 MB to the size of the first patch :-/. Fortunately I'll wait until Xmas with this as well, maybe there's a better workaround then.

How about just installing MotB _after_ Storm of Zehir? Wouldn't that fix the problem? :)

If you're thinking of reinstalling or installing the game for the first time, just removing the file in question before installing SoZ and then re-apply it once you've finished should do the trick. Not exactly sure which file it is though.

It's the VO_X1.zip in the data file that gets wiped I believe.

I've never known a company have to release so many hotfixes during a products lifetime. And I distinctly remember a very similar issue when MotB was released (installing it and patching screwed up the original game if done in the "wrong" order).

On the one hand it's good they get the hotfixes out reasonably quickly - on the other, how hard is it to check that post install all files that should be there are? It's one of the most basic things you can check for and doesn't even require you to fire up the game. A little more attention to such basics and we wouldn't need to download hundreds of megabytes of hotfix.

On the one hand it's good they get the hotfixes out reasonably quickly - on the other, how hard is it to check that post install all files that should be there are? It's one of the most basic things you can check for and doesn't even require you to fire up the game. A little more attention to such basics and we wouldn't need to download hundreds of megabytes of hotfix.

I agree completely - dloading 100MB's of unnecessary data costs a lot of money for those of us in bandwidth starved part so of the world (of those still on dial-up...) No one seems to give a damn about that - it's always "oh well, just dload this 500MB file" etc. I think they should give you a rebate or credit for what amounts to shippin a broken product!

I just wonder how this could get slipped through QA ...

I just install NWN 2 and then zehir, and no problems.

I play motb long time ago, i dont need it to play zehir.
________
SATIVA STRAINS

Last edited:
I just install NWN 2 and then zehir, and no problems.

I play motb long time ago, i dont need it to play zehir.

As long as you never want to patch again, that's fine.

As soon as you patch, the update you will be given is going to include this file and be bloated several hundred megabytes over what you actually need. So enjoy twiddling your thumbs waiting for it, you'll get it whether you want it or not once you hit that update button.

Fortunately I'll wait until Xmas with this as well, maybe there's a better workaround then.
There is already a workaround. Because:
It's the VO_X1.zip in the data file that gets wiped I believe.
Before installing SoZ simply backup this file (Neverwinter Nights 2/Data), start SoZ setup and after that copy back the file to the same dir. If the autopatcher recognizes the file already being in the dir it doesn't download the VO-Fix. Self-tested.

I've never known a company have to release so many hotfixes during a products lifetime.
True word. I don't understand their product managament. But BIS / OEI have never been good with technical side of computer games.

I just wonder how this could get slipped through QA ...
They tested it with NWN2 but not with an install of MotB. Or they did have an install of MotB but didn't notice the file had vanished. {shrug} It happens.

Yes, it would be nice if they would do more testing and fixing. But more testing is more time and more money. More money means a higher cost for the game or less profits. More time means missing the Christmas rush which means sales are cut in half, which means a lot less profits and/or a much higher price.

500Mb is about 100 minutes on dial-up, isn't it? Annoying but hardly horrible. Especially since it just fixes something back in MotB, which you probably aren't going to be wanting to play right after you install Storm. So start it when you go have dinner or something.

500Mb is about 100 minutes on dial-up, isn't it? Annoying but hardly horrible. Especially since it just fixes something back in MotB, which you probably aren't going to be wanting to play right after you install Storm. So start it when you go have dinner or something.

It's 500MB not 500Mb - that's an eight-fold difference. If you have dial-up (56Kbps - typically only yields 38-40Kbps ~ 5-6 KB/s in my experience, esp if you have a poor connection) this can take close to 28-30 hours. Assuming it never drops the connection - iirc the patcher simply starts over again. I have a 3GB cap *per month - standard here*, most of which I use for other puposes - so I must blow a large chunk of this because people do not test their products? I think not. Where I come from bandwidth is expensive. And it's not just a once off - NWN2 patches *frequently*, and pretty indiscriminately. And in an inefficient manner which has been criticized by many. If bandwith is not an issue for you, that's great, but spare a thought for those who are not as fortunate.
edit: I see its 380MB - still over 20 hours on dial-up.

Last edited:
It's 500MB not 500Mb - that's an eight-fold difference.

I have problems to understand this sentence.

Do you mean with Mb the bit-rate, or Baud ?

Or just backup your VO_X1.zip file then install, or if you have already installed reinstall and back it up that'll save you the fuss.

Back
Top Bottom