Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning - Review @ GiN

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
GiN checked out Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning:

Re-Reckoning About Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning

Kingdoms of Amalur was a game that, when it originally released, did not sell very well. It had some competition in the year of 2012 when it came to RPGs- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2, a new Hyperdimension Neptunia title, and Mass Effect 3 all within a month of Kingdoms of Amalur's original release date. A third person action RPG with loads of skills, differing weapon types, crafting, and more, is Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning worth a second look, or should this game be banished into the Well of Souls? Let's find out.

[...]

Overall, Kingdoms of Amalur still stands as a game that is criminally overlooked not just by gamers, but by the developers who made the game, itself. The game can be a strong action RPG with fun combat, and can be an absolute joy of an experience when everything works properly so you can explore the lands, beat baddies, and complete various quests scattered across the world. If you're looking for an action RPG and can't wait for patches to come out then it's strongly recommended that you consistently and constantly make new saves while playing Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning, to avoid losing hours of progress due to an unforeseen glitch.

If all of that sounds like too much work, then it may be worthwhile to wait as the game is receiving somewhat frequent patches that fix various issues on all platforms. Due to diligence in regularly making new saves, a lot of the more game-breaking glitches were easily worked around, which is why I give this game 3 out of 5 GiN Gems. However, at the time of this writing, Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning could have definitely used a little more time simmering in the Well of Souls because your experience can easily be sweet or sour depending on whether you come across the more impacting bugs.
More information.

"Criminally overlooked" .... for a vast, empty game with nothing but MMO-style quests and very meh combat (especially nowadays).

A very IGN review.

Endless respawns still a thing? Like you can't really even clear a map because it's set so high?

Endless respawns still a thing? Like you can't really even clear a map because it's set so high?
Go play Sacred it had me screaming at my monitor for that very reason.:lol:

Steam has this on sale for $40.00. The only thing I'd repurchase this game for is the FoV slider... but I'm not paying 40 bucks for that... sheesh what a cash grab.

Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Re...

I played 178 hours and still haven't finished it. (Done both DLC's). It's a fun game with which to relax and doesn't require too much brain input late in the evening when yuou're tired. It's certainly worth $40.

Back
Top Bottom