Elex Undecided Quests

Thrasher

Wheeee!
I don't know if this is the sign of a good game, or a game that tries too hard to be edgy, or that maybe I am just not cut out for this kind of game anymore, but I now have multiple quests I don't want to resolve.

The latest being the Duras companion quest. No matter what I do, I piss him off, and if you are playing a good guy and/or want to max XP, you have to be honest and end up killing him and losing him as a companion. Really none of the alternate choices, including lying to the faction leader and or framing and killing or blackmailing an innocent berserker are palatable to me.

So quest remains unresolved, as do others requiring nasty bad roleplaying choices or resulting in bad consequences.

Am I being too particular in my roleplaying or maybe this game just doesn't allow it?

That's often the point; frequently in life there are no clear GOOD choices, just shades of gray. I lied as being the least of all evils. There will be other similar choices to make and to be honest, I too have a small few unresolved side quests. You don't need to finish all of them, but I have tried to complete the companion quests, though one for a possible Alb companion I chose not to complete favourably; it was just too much for me. Those who have played that far will know what I mean!! :)

Yeah, I suppose I will be lying, rather than implicating an innocent, or killing Duras, even though it results in zero additional XP. The gamist in me screams "kill him" the roleplayer in me says "no good choices"...

Cheers!

Last edited:
I admit to being confused @Thrasher;. Why does being a good guy be a problem. I think being a good guy means being loyal to your friend in this case.

To me Duras was in a bind and he explained the situation. I do not see him as evil or protecting him as bad. As for lying - the Warlords are lying to each other and manipulating each other all the time. Lying to protect a friend and protect an innocent certainly seems like the best option if you are a good character. Course if you are playing a stick up the ass Paladin lawful good then yea you would have to kill Duras but I consider those types to be a thin line from evil.

As for XP versus RP it is always RP for me. Doing things to earn a better reward, XP, or any type of meta-game consideration spoils a game completely. If I feel forced to do that to beat the game I stop playing. ELEX has this feeling at times which is why I have set aside for now, among other reasons. Although don't get me wrong - I really like the game a lot. But I am stuck at the moment in such a way I am bored and slightly frustrated so will go back later with fresh energy.

Yeah, I agree lying for your friend is ok, though not sure if I believe his story entirely. So that's the conundrum for me. Certainly, if you tell his story to the warlord, he doesn't believe it.

And I agree that at times it seems extremely punishing to roleplay, rather than just game that maximum reward or weakest punishment. It's these quests that give you the most XP and elexit, and XP is sorely lacking…

I mostly agree with wolfgrimdark, but I wish there was a way to tell the truth without him attacking you. I lied to keep him as a companion, but I never used him much after that. He's far from the best companion anyways.

Yeah I was just keeping him around until I maxed his approval since I found Arx.

Problem is there’s no way to complete this quest without dropping his approval at the end.

I wouldn't worry about their approval. You can't be good friends with all the companions anyways unless you were to constantly change your own character's personality to fit theirs.

Fwiw, I thought Arx was complete shit. Worst companion in the game for me.

Caja is the best and fairly easy to recruit; I've used her most of the game. XP will not be a problem. I'm ready for the final climactic battle at level 36 1/2 and I did barely any of the Outlaw quests and not all of those for the other 2 factions!! Give it time. :)

Well I got Ray and he does a lot more DPS than Duras, but the idiot won't attack enemies until I attack them or they damage me, even if they are running after me.... :/

Seems like a bug to me.

Back
Top Bottom