Gothic 3 - Review @ PixelRage

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The latest Gothic 3 review comes from PixelRage and carries a score of 88%:
The Gothic universe is huge. The feeling of "crap, this is going to take forever to explore" is also accentuated by the fact you don't have a quick way of traveling around, such as a horse or similar beast of burden. Also, add the perpetuous hunt for information of any kind, which is basically the main thing a Gothic player does, regardless if he's level 2, or level 62. This is a good feature, as far as I'm concerned, because it forces me to explore. And you should see the quests: "My lord", says the quest giver, "some bandits are stealing our...stuff, please help us get rid of them. They're in the forest. Go east". And you're like "say what?". What do you mean, east !. "The monsters are raping my animals". "Ok, i'll help". "Great, the coastline is full of the beasts". Not even a hint, a vague pointer, anything. So you check out the map, and you slowly make your way towards the coastline. It's near the farm, so it sounds logical the location might be there. Or even worse, "The infidels have stolen my talisman, and now they're heading towards the next city. Please, bring my talisman back". And boy you got your work cut out for you. This system is, as I was previously saying, realistic, and adds to the overall feeling of the game, especially when, exploring, you bump into some pissed off beast, and then you'll be exploring the hard way, with the shift button squashed, watching your stamina bar decrease...and decrease...
More information.

From the news snipit, i really like the sound of the way quests are presented.

Me too. While it's certainly more convenient and time-saving, I really don't like the industry trend of making the quest log and map so comprehensive that it removes almost all mystery or challenge from the quests. The way things are going, I'm expecting a game soon where you can open the quest log and click on the quest and the game will transport your character there, perform the quest tasks for you and then transport you back to the quest-giver. :rolleyes:

Yes, and besides, if you really need help you always have forums, discussions and guides online to help out. At least give people the option to use their brain instead of offering only mindless quests.

That's one of the problems with recent rpgs, in my opinion. People expect too much hand holding. I loved playing U5 lazarus. I think it's much more engrossing for the game to force me to write down quest notes. I also enjoy having to keep my own overworld map. I actually get into the game more than I do when the game does these things for me.

Very nice, balanced take on the good, bad and ugly parts of the game. As I've said, I don't care about the scoring, but the context.

Back
Top Bottom