Tactical Adventures - Secures Funding

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
BpiFrance reports that Tactical Adventures has secured funding for the still unannounced OGL 5th Edition D&D game.

Tactical Adventures, an independent video game studio, announces an initial fundraiser with Bpifrance, a minority shareholder, as part of the production launch of its first title. Through this investment, Bpifrance marks the opening of its Creative Industries division to video games. This fundraising is part of the dynamic of consolidation of a recognized team of experienced creative and technical talents and built around its iconic founder, Mathieu Girard. This partnership will allow the young studio to benefit from the financial base necessary for the preproduction and production phases, until the launch of its first game, for the moment not announced.

[...]
More information.

At first I thought it was Tactical Simulations Interactive who dropped off the the map after failing to fund Seven Dragon Saga. Instead it's an unknown developer.

Everything sounds so generic. I hope they make a fun game though, I love tactical RPGs and DnD, the result could be great. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself every time a DnD based RPG is announced. Gotta keep believing.

At first I thought it was Tactical Simulations Interactive who dropped off the the map after failing to fund Seven Dragon Saga. Instead it's an unknown developer.
Some info at: https://www.tactical-adventures.com/

"Our goal is to recreate the feel of a tabletop RPG onscreen, through the faithful adaptation of rules and universes."

The founder, Mathieu Girard, has some well-reviewed games on his resume, though nothing I'd want to play personally:
https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,130182/

Interview at: https://venturebeat.com/2018/11/20/...ard-has-a-new-rpg-studio-tactical-adventures/

Yes already known that thank you.:)

Still hasn't made a single game with the new company yet. His past games were 4X strategy games also not RPG's. So don't consider me hyped about this announcement.

Yes I know Negative Nacy but I'll need more details and gameplay.

Last edited:
I'm always unwisely optimistic when a new D&D game gets funded. Sooner or later, one of them has to be good, right? I mean, law of averages and all that.

I hope it's not set on the Forgotten Realms again - come on, let's get a Dragonlance game! Please? We could have a Lord Soth cameo rather than the inevitable Drizzt appearance.

Unity again.:roll:.
I don't know if it's Unity or the programming, but I'm currently playing PoE2 and whilst it's a great game the load times are horrific. I don't have it on a SSD and it's a couple of minutes every time when loading a save or transferring from an island to the ship. If that's a Unity issue then yeah *shudder*

I hope it's not set on the Forgotten Realms again - come on, let's get a Dragonlance game! Please? We could have a Lord Soth cameo rather than the inevitable Drizzt appearance.
They mentioned in the interview I linked that it will be using OGL D&D, they don't have a D&D license. So they can't use any of those settings or characters, it will be something fully home-brewed.

They mentioned in the interview I linked that it will be using OGL D&D, they don't have a D&D license. So they can't use any of those settings or characters.
Ah ok thanks. I hadn't picked up on that. Well, here's hoping they at least try and do something interesting with their setting.

I don't know if it's Unity or the programming, but I'm currently playing PoE2 and whilst it's a great game the load times are horrific. I don't have it on a SSD and it's a couple of minutes every time when loading a save or transferring from an island to the ship. If that's a Unity issue then yeah *shudder*
It's been proven time and time again it's unity and bad programing combined. It's also well documented certain builds have more problems then others. It's annoying.

Also watch the development of PoE and other RPG games that use Unity about how it loads data on area transitions. Tyranny was were my problems started.

Anyway this technical problem seems to affect players differently.

Moving on I remember someone posting a fix for PoE II that would allow the game to use more cores to help speed it up, but I can't remember what it was called from last year.

They mentioned in the interview I linked that it will be using OGL D&D, they don't have a D&D license. So they can't use any of those settings or characters, it will be something fully home-brewed.
If they can make something as good as Pathfinder I will be very impressed. They have the experience to make a good turn-based game. See I said something positive.:)

If they can make something as good as Pathfinder I will be very impressed. They have the experience to make a good turn-based game. See I said something positive.:)

Well, at least we know Owlcat Games is working on another isometric RPG already :D And there is also Realms Beyond releasing next year :D

I don't tend to hope for much (too jaded now) until I see enough materials pointing the game will be good :(

I will still keep an eye on how these guys go with their development.

Well, at least we know Owlcat Games is working on another isometric RPG already :D And there is also Realms Beyond releasing next year :D

I don't tend to hope for much (too jaded now) until I see enough materials pointing the game will be good :(

I will still keep an eye on how these guys go with their development.
Yeah I remember the survey you posted last week. It will probably be a while till we get an official announcement from them. Wonder if Owlcat will go crowdfunding again?

I'll throw in one negative it will probably be another Epic Exclusive.:lol:

The interview Stingray posted is quite interesting. The answers are largely positive, the Baldurs Gate references get the thumbs up from me and his references to XCom suggest it might be turn based I guess. Having said that it's also very broad and high level which suggests that they're possibly still at a very early stage of scoping this out.

And:

The foundation for us is that computer RPGs have been making — well, they’re great games, but they’ve been doing more of the same thing for the past 20 years since Baldur’s Gate. These are great games. I love them. I play them. But it’s the same way of doing exploration and combat. Some of them have had turn-based combat but not all the way, not with a very accurate grid system. Some of them have — well, all of them have great narrative and story, but the way the narrative is brought to you, with the same five dialogue lines when you speak to an RPG — you have to read a lot of text. It can be a bit tedious, I think. It’s not very modern. Even though lots of people love this, including myself, I think we can bring something more modern to exploration, combat, and narrative.

That makes me a bit nervous about their intended narrative system. Sounds a bit like the "streamlining and simplifying" form of modernization. Well anyway, I guess we'll see what they have in mind - hopefully it will be genuinely good.

Well, at least we know Owlcat Games is working on another isometric RPG already :D .
I'm still looking forward to playing the first one! I need more time in my day.... :)

The interview Stingray posted is quite interesting. The answers are largely positive, the Baldurs Gate references get the thumbs up from me and his references to XCom suggest it might be turn based I guess. Having said that it's also very broad and high level which suggests that they're possibly still at a very early stage of scoping this out.

And:

The foundation for us is that computer RPGs have been making — well, they’re great games, but they’ve been doing more of the same thing for the past 20 years since Baldur’s Gate. These are great games. I love them. I play them. But it’s the same way of doing exploration and combat. Some of them have had turn-based combat but not all the way, not with a very accurate grid system. Some of them have — well, all of them have great narrative and story, but the way the narrative is brought to you, with the same five dialogue lines when you speak to an RPG — you have to read a lot of text. It can be a bit tedious, I think. It’s not very modern. Even though lots of people love this, including myself, I think we can bring something more modern to exploration, combat, and narrative.

That makes me a bit nervous about their intended narrative system. Sounds a bit like the "streamlining and simplifying" form of modernization. Well anyway, I guess we'll see what they have in mind - hopefully it will be genuinely good.
Aye my spider sense is tingling after reading that also. On one hand I heard that before and they might succeed, but that just gives me a shiver when I read not modern.

Have tastes really changed and gamers can't read text anymore. If so I'm getting old.

I think when you put "Tactical" as the first word in your company's name, and talk about X-Com as one of your top two inspirations, it's confirmed the game will be turn-based.

Give them some time, and I believe they'll turn out something well worth playing. I'm glad to read that they got the necessary funding and I look forward to seeing what they create from it.

Back
Top Bottom