The Way of Wrath - Tactical, turn-based RPG

Hellwalker

Watcher
Hi! I wanted to share the RPG game I have been working on for past two years. :D
Ptp2y0s.jpg

Steam | GOG | Discord | Twitter | Facebook | Reddit

The Way of Wrath is a story-driven, turn-based, tactical RPG with fort management and dynamic, hand-crafted open world.

Fort Management:
You are in charge of an old, ruined fort and you have only a few days to prepare for a massive siege. The fort will be a home base to you and the allies you recruit. Allies will help you with repairing defenses, building traps, and siege equipment, defending the fort and general maintenance. Allies will not mindlessly follow your commands. Each NPC will have their own personality and dynamic story with several personal endings.

giphy.gif

Exploration:
There is a handcrafted, open world “No-Mans-Land” between your fort and the enemy encampment. You will need to explore it to find allies, sabotage enemies and harvest valuable materials. The map design was inspired by the first two Gothic games. So we plan to fill it with many immersive interactions grounded in the reality of the game setting. The focus is on a smaller, hand-crafted and well thought-out world design.

giphy.gif

Time Passage:
During the day you explore the open world map and manage the affairs in your fort. There will be a limited number of events you can participate in each day. This will be limited by your stamina and injuries you receive during battles. During the night you will rest and recover stamina.

dNn5WLz.jpg

• You create your own character. You can customize the appearance, origin, and skills of your character. Choices play a role in the story and the dialogue.
  • You can fight with a party of companions. You can recruit NPC’s with their own storylines, or build your own party from scratch. (We are not yet decided on 4vs6 companions, but lean towards 6 unless balance demands 4 in the end.)
  • Combat is tactical and turn-based. The combat encounters are hand-crafted with custom AI and Skill combos to reflect the personality of your opponents. You can fight with melee or ranged weapons and even the odds with special items. One of the more unique features will be multi-stage shamanistic “Dance Rituals”.
  • There is great emphasis on player choices. Rather than the linear story and quests. The game is built around goals and events grounded in the reality of the story and the setting. You can choose which goals to follow, and you’ll have different paths to reach those goals.
  • There is a survival aspect to the game. Resources are scarce. Injuries take days to heal and require multi-stage treatment. Environmental hazards play a large role in the gameplay.

Cvb9YqZ.jpg

Gameplay in The Way of Wrath was inspired by games like Gothic (beautifully handcrafted world, immersive interactivity), Infinite-Engine Games (deep roleplaying layered in actions and dialogue) Deus-Ex (multiple paths to goals), Divinity: Original Sin (unique interactions, tactical combat).
Story and setting were inspired by books: Joe Abercrombie’s “The First Law” and Bernard Cornwell’s “The Warlord Chronicles”, and HBO’s “Deadwood” TV Series.

e3dttSP.jpg

eaA9wQB.jpg

Last edited:
I found the way of warth game in apknite, a great turn-based strategy game

Hey! Some info about new character from the game :D

Meet Yarbogha - emissaries of death. Thein Shamans and mystics with unparalleled mastery in inspiring terror and awe in their enemies.
wr1BXia.jpg

Lore and more details can be found on Steam Dev Diary

Last edited:
@Hellwalker;
I edited your post so the videos would be visible. Please read this post of mine in order to avoid problems next time.
Thanks.

Character creation update

Hey all, we have been busy these past weeks working on combat, level design and one thing we are ready to show is the character creation!

*The game is still in active development so, the UI, Descriptions, Stats and other details will be much more polished in the final game.

xslhhyz.jpg

Along with visual appearance, skills and perks you can select characters origin details and reputation. These represent your avatars life before the game events and they will play a large role in how other characters will treat you. Though you can also change reputation through your actions during gameplay.

You’ll be able to select your ethnicity, origin story and the reputation you have earned during the war. Origin story provides story background for your character, unlocks some unique encounters and dialogues. Life as a Shaman will be far different from that of a warrior. It also comes with useful stat and skill bonuses to reflect your characters experience before the game events. If you’d like to start from more of a blank character, you can always pick the “Wanderer” option.

0M1ZAfK.jpg

Reputation alters some of the reputation stats by which other characters will judge your actions. Whether you are cruel or benevolent, always honest or a trickster. Some dialogue checks and story resolutions will be easier/harder depending on how the characters feel about your reputation and personality.
Class and Profession options are more there to give you starting build presets. They act as archetypes, which you can freely ignore to pick your own skills, attributes and perks.

We’ll be back soon with more updates showing combat and level design.

Gameplay Preview

Hey, we released 8 minute gameplay video with Combat, Dialogue, Cut-scenes and other juicy, good new stuff.

*The footage is from a work in progress game. Final product will look more polished and include more visual feedback for combat and dialogues.

And as bonus soundtrack. ^_^

This definitely game sounds my kind of RPG.

Normally the "open world" aspect would give me pause, but I like that you emphasized there will be handcrafted interactions.

I remain skeptical of open world games, because the vast majority I've played or seen have far too much filler like trash mobs, dull fed ex quests, kill # of monster quests, collect # of seashells, etc. But if you can fill your open world with interesting unique encounters that keep things interesting then maybe you can show the AAA companies how open world should be done.

Thank you! We are taking great care to make each location and encounter as memorable as we can. Even if it's a simple cave or a bridge, there will be something about it to easily tell it apart. With story and combat we went a step further and made each NPC, ally or enemy, a unique character.
So when, how or why you fight or interact with characters will all be part of overarching dynamic story. (also hand crafted and not randomly generated)

Hey everyone!
Here are some of our newest development updates:

With Armor Design video diary our art-director goes into the process of armor creation for out game.

And in this written diary we introduce the Fort. Player's home base and very important aspect of the game:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/969330

Last edited:
Base layer for forest location. (Still have to add plants and small details, the interactive stuff)

Hey! Newest developer diary. Biggest update is combat is now Gridless, and game will support gamepad/awsd movement.

Kickstarter is live!

Hello, very excited to share with you that after 3 years of working on the project we are launching Kickstarter.

You can find out much about the game on our page. A lot of gifs, lore texts and explanations.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg?ref=creator_nav

We passed the first 10% Mark in first hours and I wrote an update about our unique Law and Justice system.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3088201

Back
Top Bottom