Thronebreaker - Released

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@DSOGaming Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales has been released on GOG.

CD Projekt RED has announced the PC launch of Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales — a brand new RPG adventure set in the universe of professional monster slayer Geralt of Rivia. In order to celebrate this release, the team has also released the game’s launch trailer that you can find below.

[...]

More information.

Chirp, chirp, chirp...

Pretty quite in here, I'll admit I was expecting more comments and impressions. Hurt by gog exclusivity? Or just too non traditional for people?

I do plan on getting it at some point just no time right now

Not much interest from me as it's still a Gwent card game at it's core. As I said before I'll probably buy, and play it someday when GOG has it as part of some sale.

I was kinda interested, but most all my games are on steam. Ironically, I would be more interested if they made this an android phone game. I wouldn't mind playing this on my phone!

Bought it yesterday and played for about 3 h. I really liked it so far. The voice acting and atmosphere are very appropriate in my opinion. The art style of the cards is also very on point.

The Gwent here is a bit different from the Witcher III's but close enough to feel at home.
Since I love single-player card games and liked Gwent in the Witcher it was a no-brainer for me. Price is also very reasonable in my opinion.

Is it permanently exclusive to GOG? I'm interested in the game, but I'm not sure that I'm interested enough to want to download a new platform and create a new account.

Is it permanently exclusive to GOG? I'm interested in the game, but I'm not sure that I'm interested enough to want to download a new platform and create a new account.

I don't think it requires any client. You can just download the installer, and add it as a non-Steam game in the Steam client.

Chirp, chirp, chirp…

Pretty quite in here

Too many games released at the same time is my problem. I'll grab it by the year's end for sure, I mean reviewers are extatic about it thus wouldn't be fair I don't vote if it deserved goty nomination.
Currently don't have time for it. :(
It is. You have to buy it on GOG store and to do that you need to have an account on GOG. I thought we all have it already, GOG has plenty of good stuff (DRM free) to offer.

But you don't have to have an account to play; you just need the account to buy...

Too many games released at the same time is my problem. I'll grab it by the year's end for sure, I mean reviewers are extatic about it thus wouldn't be fair I don't vote if it deserved goty nomination.
Currently don't have time for it. :(

It is. You have to buy it on GOG store and to do that you need to have an account on GOG. I thought we all have it already, GOG has plenty of good stuff (DRM free) to offer.

But you don't have to have an account to play; you just need the account to buy…

Either way it's a lot of extra steps that I'd rather not do. It's not a huge deal and I'd still consider picking it up at some point, but since it won't be showing on my steam wish lists or searches, it won't be on my radar and there is a good chance that I will just forget about it. I never ended up picking up the latest Mass Effect for the same reason.

I wonder what kind of deal they got for doing an exclusive like that. I imagine it must have been pretty amazing if they felt it was worth the lost sales.

Such a nice vid product with heavy RPG elements, it has graphics, it has soundtracks, it has story, it has map, it has combat, it has feminism, it has racism etc

Excellent product for so called RPG players.

Get real. How can a storydriven card matches bassed game with choices and consequences be excellent for Dark Souls fans?

I wonder what kind of deal they got for doing an exclusive like that. I imagine it must have been pretty amazing if they felt it was worth the lost sales.

GoG was established by CD Project Red... So they get the best deal that is to be had for their own games.

I think it is also a test balloon to see if it motivates people to take the plunge to another store away from Steam (this is also why you sometimes get free GoG copies for your Steam games and why Amazon gives away free games every month on Twitch for Amazon Prime subscribers). With anything Witcher this might just work for GoG, though I would prefer if everything would be published everywhere.

They get 30% (more or less) per sale. The same company that owns gog owns cdprojek…

Last edited:
Chirp, chirp, chirp…

Pretty quite in here, I'll admit I was expecting more comments and impressions. Hurt by gog exclusivity? Or just too non traditional for people?

Games great. The Chirps are there because we are all to busy playing... :p

I've wishlisted it. I'll probably get it soon though, maybe when I make a Kingmaker break.

Such a nice vid product with heavy RPG elements, it has graphics, it has soundtracks, it has story, it has map, it has combat, it has feminism, it has racism etc

Excellent product for so called RPG players.

You never disappoint me. :lol:

GoG was established by CD Project Red… So they get the best deal that is to be had for their own games.

I think it is also a test balloon to see if it motivates people to take the plunge to another store away from Steam (this is also why you sometimes get free GoG copies for your Steam games and why Amazon gives away free games every month on Twitch for Amazon Prime subscribers). With anything Witcher this might just work for GoG, though I would prefer if everything would be published everywhere.

Ah that makes sense. I think the sales they lose will be much greater than the Steam cut that they recover, but the information they gain from it may make up for that. Although releasing a side project with limited advertising as a GOG exclusive would be very different then releasing a AAA title like the Witcher.

Chirp, chirp, chirp…

It's a great game. Imo, best rpg in years. Kind of like the mix between Witcher, GWENT, Telltales and Heroes of Might&Magic.
If you're looking for something that does xy number of things, you won't find it here.
But it's pretty much spotless at what it does. I'm usually not a fan of tactical combat in rpgs ( RtwP or TB, put tank in front and cheese, bah!), but it's incredibly addictive and fun here. Really well implemented with puzzles and it kind of creates these scenes through cards "in your head".

Ah that makes sense. I think the sales they lose will be much greater than the Steam cut that they recover, but the information they gain from it may make up for that. Although releasing a side project with limited advertising as a GOG exclusive would be very different then releasing a AAA title like the Witcher.

I'm curious to see what will happen with Cyberpunk. Might be it will be GoG exclusive on PC.

Back
Top Bottom