After Reset - Money and a Patch

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
In two post-Kickstarter updates for After Reset, we learn that money is an issue in a backer only update, which shows that with the 95K$ that was raised in the Kickstarter the cost has risen to $122K. The difference is paid by the owner of Black Cloud Studios and from the income of their After Reset novel The Fall of Geyes, which is almost ready to be released and the adaptation into an app.

The update also lists the issues they faced:

1. Personal tragedy with a key team member

2. Personel issues, with programmers leaving

3. Money

4. legal issues

And delays.
And there is another update on the latest patch #112515 with the following changes:

Audio:

• Added sounds to pick/drop/equip inventory actions.

Gameplay:
• Added descriptions for all highlighted items/objects/creatures/containers on Special Facility & Science Facility level(s).

Graphics:
• Created a laser pistol for the UG MP.

Mechanics:
• Added description system for highlighted items/objects/creatures/containers.
• Added item & creature identification mechanics.
• Added an XP gain for the successful use any character skill.
• Added mechanics for broken items.
And there is a lot more info as well when following the link.

More information.

Can't grok this "raised 95K" issue: After Reset can be conveniently made form start to finish from around $4,000,000 and definitely not from a measly $95,000...

with programmers leaving
This is my nightmare too. So either I pay programmers to write good plugins for my engine that I'll be able to use indefinitely - saying: "Okay, thx, bye!" . . or I pay them to write parts of the engine and risk losing them after the coders throwing a tantrum, a fit, leaving for another company offering 12x higher salary etc… :(

Let's be honest - it's been obvious for a long time that this was not a serious project.

Let's be honest - it's been obvious for a long time that this was not a serious project.
giphy.gif

Yep - that's about what I would expect.

Nothing like a comedy gif to allay concerns that you are not a responsible and credible developer.

What can I say? As long as there are gullible people who gladly throw money at literally nothing, there will be shady developers who take advantage of it. Remember the early access debacle? No? I do... $50 for a guy standing in a room... that's it, end of the "game".

Come on guys,

I followed the game for a while on steam to see if it is making progress.
The developer did not strike me as the evildoer that some claim he is.
From my point of view it looks like an ambitious project which ran out of resources.

Would I be pissed if I already bought it? Yep.

Come on guys,

I followed the game for a while on steam to see if it is making progress.
The developer did not strike me as the evildoer that some claim he is.
From my point of view it looks like an ambitious project which ran out of resources.

Would I be pissed if I already bought it? Yep.

Speaking for myself, I'm not making accusations of evil. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that this is an amateur and non-credible project that has used $95K of backer money, and is still attempting to sell an empty demo for $50 a copy on Early Access.

I find many of the things the dev says unconvincing, I don't believe that the project will be completed to a decent standard, and I don't think people should hand over any more money. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I've looked into the background a bit, and I believe that's the truth of it.

Last edited:
To me it looks like MrNixon is on a mission to show that a great RPG with great production value can be created with a small budget and little manpower..

It's an ambitious project and I'm sceptical about its success.

Greatest problem for me currently aren't the delays and little visible progress, but credibility. Having a small demo on Steam for full price doesn't help building up trust, instead it's making this project look like a cashgrab.

To me it looks like MrNixon is on a mission to show that a great RPG with great production value can be created with a small budget and little manpower..
Indeed.

It's an ambitious project and I'm sceptical about its success.
That is reasonable feeling. I'd feel the same.

Having a small demo on Steam for full price doesn't help building up trust, instead it's making this project look like a cashgrab.
In that latest money/issues report I shares with backers whole things about money and issues we faced. Why and how we did all things, the decisions and actions we've made so far. The money I personally put (and continue to fill in) in this game development. So by now for us the trust of backers/co-founders is enough to complete the prologue. And is is normal for the Introduction stage of the product's life circle. Now it is something like close club of people who really wants to play such game like we work on, and who realize that non-indie developers wont create such game because it is non competitive profitable idea, and who really want do so something to make that happen. No more, no less.

Quick question - is the game built with a customised Xoreos engine?

Yeah, that $50 pricetag on steam told me that it wasn't a serious project.

I'd consider picking it up for $10-5, but $50?! They've GOT to be FSCKING JOKING!

Rather than using the Encased KS thread for discussion about bullshit on KS, perhaps we should use this thread, for a campaign which was quite similar in some respects, but quite a contrast in terms of being obvious bullshit. You can see the state of things on the KS, where he has also tried to fund another game after this one, and is currently seeking Patreon money to make that one. :biggrin:

Rather than using the Encased KS thread for discussion about bullshit on KS, perhaps we should use this thread, for a campaign which was quite similar in some respects, but quite a contrast in terms of being obvious bullshit. You can see the state of things on the KS, where he has also tried to fund another game after this one, and is currently seeking Patreon money to make that one. :biggrin:
Yep to ambitious for one devolper and probably will never be completed years later. It's barely a tech prototype at this point. Shame on the developer for conning his backers.

Oh wait he released a comic book based on this game at least.:roll:

Link - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackcloudstudios/after-reset-the-fall-of-gyes

Now he is asking for money for a second game it's ridiculous.

Thankfully it failed to get funded.

Update: I supported this developer many years back cause the pitched game had the promise to be a good modern day Fallout game. My apologizes to those I pissed off.

Yeah, I knew something was up by the way Kevin Spacey was looking at me. :p

Back
Top Bottom