Disco Elysium - An Urban Fantasy RPG

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Shacknews checked out Disco Elysium:

Get Familiar With Disco Elysium, An Urban Fantasy RPG

After changing the name from No Truce With The Furies, the developers are unraveling some of the details on this deep detective RPG.

No Truce With The Furies, an intriguing RPG that made my Most Anticipated Games of 2018 list, has a brand new name: Disco Elysium. As the scope of the urban fantasy detective drama expanded, the name had to change encompass more of the full tale’s purview.

Let’s set the stage. Disco Elysium blends a hardboiled cop show into an isometric RPG for an experience that allows players to shape exactly what kind of cop they are. Even in the very early build I tried at SXSW 2017, the deep RPG system felt like something that could only be rivaled by the recently released Torment: Tides of Numenera. I got a taste of the open-ended structure of the game and the internal inventory of thoughts I could unravel the pertinent details of a situation.

I didn’t get to see the skill system explicitly, but I witnessed its effects on conversation. Since then, I’ve craved details on the inner workings and the development team, ZA/UM, has started rolling out the breakdowns for the four skill trees. Psyche, Intellect, and Physique are all below with Motorics coming soon. Just from the descriptions, I can tell that the writing for Disco Elysium is going to be incredible. Check out the official website for the lengthier breakdowns of what each skill offers.

[...]
More information.

No Truce with the Furies is a way better name...

Yeah, the new name sounds like a nightspot for the over-forties to go and throw a few shapes.

Old title was intriguing. Made you want to check out what the game was like. New title tells me it's not something I'm interested in even looking at. It was only when I saw the old title when I skimmed through that I even clicked on the article.

I looked it up to make sure I had it right. I did, though I forgot it was Greek. Elysium is an ancient Greek conception of the afterlife. So, really, it's just a fancy way of saying Disco Heaven, which is pretty stupid. :p

I'm just going to keep calling the game No Truce with the Furies in my head. Maybe someone will make a mod. :p

Fury in the Slaughterhouse - Time to wonder

Yep. Both because the old name was unique and cool and because the new name is terrible.

No Truce with the Furries was a great name.

I preferred the old name, too. Maybe ZA/UM just got tired of all the "Furries" jokes.

Oh well. It is just a name. At least they didn't change the mechanics.

Back
Top Bottom