Fallout 76 - News Roundup

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Some more Fallout 76 related news thanks to Couchpotato!

Fallout 76 Videos: Killing the Flatwoods Monster

Here's Why Fallout 76 Isn't Coming To Steam according to Gamespot.

<blockquote class="quote">"Well because of the kind of game it is," Hines said when asked by Fallout 76 is bypassing Steam. "Because it's an online, always-on game-as-a-service. Based on our experience based on other things that we've done, we felt like having a direct relationship with our customers was super important to us. And so doing it through Bethesda.net, exclusively, allows us to have that one-to-one relationship with customers, that quite honestly you don't always have when you go through another third-party where they might own the relationship with the customer in terms of being able to email them or to reach out directly and contact them."[/quote]

Pete Hines Is Not "The Lore Guy" according to Twinfinite.

<blockquote class="quote">Pete Hines has put himself out there on Twitter trying to answer as many questions that fans have about Fallout 76 as possible. However, there is one type of question he definitely won’t answer, and that’s lore.[/quote] 10 Things You Need To Know About Fallout 76 according to Cogconnected.

<blockquote class="quote">One of the most mysterious titles on the docket for 2018, Bethesda Game Studios has been extremely tight lipped about Fallout 76. Until now. I attended the big Fallout 76 gameplay reveal event last week in West Virginia, and grilled the Bethesda team about the game relentlessly. Good news! They gave me almost all the answers I was looking for, and I had a good time with the game too.[/quote] Fallout 76 microtransactions currency is called Atoms according to VG24/7.

<blockquote class="quote">Bethesda has revealed a few more details about Fallout 76’s microtransactions currency, Atoms. Atoms is the other currency in Fallout 76, but unlike bottle caps, it’s the one you’ll be able to buy using real money. Atoms are also earned in-game by completing tasks.[/quote]More information.

I'll probably never play this game for several reasons despite liking most of the newer Fallout games. One big reason is I don't like 1st person shooters or being forced to play 1st person.
Let me explain a bit. I paint in oils. All paintings are carefully designed with one or more focal points. All design elements are there to direct the viewer's eye to that point or points. The lines, colors, lights and darks, edges, and placement on the picture plane.
With a 1st person shooter, you have two confusing (for me) elements on-screen at the same time. One is your weapon and the other is the cross-hair. To, me, the one that demands and holds my attention is the weapon because it's the most detailed of the two. It has color, texture, sound effects, motion, and lights and shadows. The cross-hair is just a monochrome 'X' or other graphic. It's much less visibly interesting and attention getting. So naturally, I subconsciously think of real life situations where if I'm shooting at something, I point the gun at it. Not so in a 1st person shooter.
If I point the weapon at the on-screen target and fire, I miss wide-left every time. I find it nearly impossible to concentrate on using the cross hair in-game. Depending on the game, you may have an iron sight option or zoom option. But most FPS games are run-and-gun.
In FO3, FO-NV, and FO4, I always play 3rd person and remap my keys to zoom in or I use VATS. Same with Skyrim, I'm always 3rd person and zoom in when using a bow.
Most other players must not be bothered or confused by the duality of seeing the weapon and cross hair on-screen and using the cross hair instead of putting the weapon on target. I am.

I take it this is not a single player rpg game,online only?Looks like some kind of MMO?No thanks

Looking at the video and wondering what the hell is the link between what I am seeing and Fallout 1 or 2. I mean I can cope with the going 3D for the other games but that..
It looks like some kind of half-arsed attempt at PUBG on a budget.

Wasnt able to finish Fallout 3 and in Fallout 4 I spent just a few hours before I shelved it (probably till forever). Cannot imagine I would like this and dont feel any urge to try it.

lol. That does look pretty awful. hahaha.

So, you have a "fabled" monster and he can't even hit the broad side of a barn, despite having a powerful wide beam laser. His only other move is disappearing and then reappearing, only to get jumped again by the players. Just keep firing at him, boys, and you will take him down sooner or later, most will not even receive a scratch from this fight neither.

Why would anyone play this over a standard first person shooter, whether single player or on line multi-player, either would be superior, with better enemies and more exciting gunplay... WTH?

Yikes..it looks rough. And weird. Kind of like low budget Far Cry with way, way worse gunplay/animations/sounds/AI/etc. The fabled monster is freezing every few seconds, janky animation transition and pathfinding.
Bethesda combat was always very low quality, why showcase this next to competitors like Anthem, Division, etc?
They really, really need an engine upgrade.
I'm liking the lighting and almost Vurt level of flora, though it looks a bit odd in broad daylight, not sure it fits Fallout.
This will be interesting experiment to see how it sells, Bethesda's name enough to guarantee success here?

More like the Fabled Flatwoods Bullet Sponge...

Gently lowering the fanbase into the warm water of the always-online microtransaction cooking pot.

I'm not sure where the hook exists for role players. Even the devs admit that they all play it solo, so why not add in human npcs and such. Weird.

Yea I have lost total interest in this tripe.

I'm not sure where the hook exists for role players. Even the devs admit that they all play it solo, so why not add in human npcs and such. Weird.
Simple this is a game based around the Rust sandbox game theory. Where you are the NPC and make your own story as you play. It's probably cheaper to make also.

Like I said before despite the older fans this game will find a market. It's the same thing BioWare is doing with Anthem. Taking a series into different waters as usual.

Now we can moan about change but it's inevitable, and I learned that lesson a long time ago. I only hope future Bethesda games wont be focused more on multiplayer.

Last edited:
Hey couchpotato! Could you please stop spamming videos in the threads?

I really like your comments and read all of them but the video spamming is pretty annoying. It makes the post super long to scroll and the big thumbnails consume a lot of my 3G, which is very expensive where I live.

An alternative would be to just post the links without thumbnails. Thanks!

An alternative would be to just post the links without thumbnails. Thanks!
Fixed sorry.:(

Also those are not thumbnails but embedded videos played from YouTube.

Do they work with spoiler tags? That could be another solution.
--

I read the other day that users might be able to modify the setting with a Fallout 4 toolset and you could have private servers of up to 24 people. Is this true?

Do they work with spoiler tags? That could be another solution.
Think I might try that method If I have two of three movies to post.

So hows it look when replying?

Think I might try that method If I have two of three movies to post.

So hows it look when replying?

Testing.

EDIT: Cool. That's the way to go, then. The movies don't show in the reply, but that hardly matters.

EDIT EDIT: Oh, yes, they also show in the reply - just needs an extra refresh.

Back
Top Bottom