Bard's Tale IV - Beta Review

The tactical combat system looks pretty good for a blobber. I'm almost tempted...

Check this one at the given timestamp 1:07:47 and it should be clear:
https://youtu.be/eo_nXTsaaCc?t=4067

Thanks. Had a look...so it's the (for me) worse case scenario - where you set your (tiny) set of skills before combat. In that case, three is really very little and as you said, why bother taking certain skills? That just decreased my interest - although I may still try it, but not immediately. I look at DnD games with those huge spell and feat bars and I want to :'(

Game definitely has a very light "snackish" feel to it, based on these videos. I doubt it's going to keep my interest for long - but I will give it a shot eventually.

Game definitely has a very light "snackish" feel to it, based on these videos. I doubt it's going to keep my interest for long - but I will give it a shot eventually.

Well, I think nobody should expect a Wizardry like 100h game here. I guess it will have a length of maybe 30h or so hours, which is a decent size for a good crawler I guess (Lands of Lore having about 15h of length, Stonekeep 23h, EOTB 1/2/3 13h/17h/10h according to howlongtobeat.com)

I'd love a new Wizardry-type game, and I think that many others would welcome it as well. Yeah, you might not appeal to idiots/teeny poppers that peer into their mobiles all day long, but you might find a huge swatch of people over the age of forty that would plunk down monies for it.

I do enjoy a deep, compelling game, but even if Bard's Tale comes in under thirty hours, I'll be a happy clam.

I played 13 hours in the beta version alone - I think it will be much longer than 30 hours.

And I would not compare it to Wizardry. The combat is easier and there are many more puzzle elements in the game.

It is closer to the early Might and Magic series.

Well, I think nobody should expect a Wizardry like 100h game here. I guess it will have a length of maybe 30h or so hours, which is a decent size for a good crawler I guess (Lands of Lore having about 15h of length, Stonekeep 23h, EOTB 1/2/3 13h/17h/10h according to howlongtobeat.com)

I wasn't so much talking about the length of the game as the depth/complexity.

I'm fine with a shorter game, but it needs some interesting gameplay and mechanics to keep my attention.

In that way, it looks a little light for my tastes - but I'll check it out anyway.

When people say wizardry are they talking about 4-6 or 8. I tend to view 8 as very different than 4-6…

I am usually talking about 6 and 7 (which I also finished, albeit with walkthroughs). ^^
Actually 1-6 were before my time (only played 6 later on to also replay Wiz7 and import the characters). Couldn't get warm with Wiz8 when I played it maybe 7 years ago for just half an hour or so. Didn't really give it a chance though.

I have two questions here:
First can you refund skill points at anytime ? I.e, scout ahead to see which skill is useful and then refund not so useful skils; max out a different skill for the next fight and make it active ? (or switch learned skill each time you change your party or find new equipment) ?

Check this one at the given timestamp 1:07:47 and it should be clear:
https://youtu.be/eo_nXTsaaCc?t=4067

Just an fyi 8 is very annoying unless you install the fast combat mod. This mod doesn't change the actual combat it just changes the idle time between action.

I am usually talking about 6 and 7 (which I also finished, albeit with walkthroughs). ^^
Actually 1-6 were before my time (only played 6 later on to also replay Wiz7 and import the characters). Couldn't get warm with Wiz8 when I played it maybe 7 years ago for just half an hour or so. Didn't really give it a chance though.

I have two questions here:
First can you refund skill points at anytime ? I.e, scout ahead to see which skill is useful and then refund not so useful skils; max out a different skill for the next fight and make it active ? (or switch learned skill each time you change your party or find new equipment) ?

As far as I can tell: Yes.

However I am not sure if there is a limitation once you "break" the first chain for advanced abilities. Maybe @HiddenX; can answer that. But I guess so.

I'm still caught up on the ability cap and poor skill tree progression, but I may get it anyways after hearing so much enthusiasm.

Not everyone likes the same type of game. While this sounds like a game I will like it may very well be a game you dislike if the stuff like the ability cap is a deal breaker.

I'm still caught up on the ability cap and poor skill tree progression, but I may get it anyways after hearing so much enthusiasm.

There are some things I could nitpick in practically every computer game I've ever played, but I try to be reasonable and look at the positives within the system. Nine times out of ten I can find plenty to compel me to play the game right through to the very finish.

It's not a nitpick. They screwed up one of the most important parts of a combat RPG.

I received an update this morning stating that they are going to skip early access for the re-masters and focus on a complete release of the originals in mid August. Makes sense to me, as I tend to avoid the early access system.

Yet early access is core to the crowdfunding philosophy as it is a favoured time to place feedback and get devs to listen to their customers.

Skipping it is blasphemy.

That's me, consistently doing my very best to rage against the machine. Blasphemous is amongst the least offensive names I've been called. =p

Back
Top Bottom