Dead State - Response About Review "Controversy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Brian Mitsoda released a statement on X-Mas Eve about the review Controversy that has been overblown on the whole internet. I'm a little late posting it but here you go.

For everyone that has either been a long-term part of the DB community or has jumped on to comment about something without hearing our side, here are the facts.

The review poster was originally addressed on the forums, and after the thread began to get off-topic, it was closed down by a developer.

A second topic, which restated the exact same comments as the previous thread, was started by the same poster, after which it began to also go off-topic and became abusive. That thread was closed by a moderator, and after abusive comments towards both the devs and mods (including demanding a personal, public apology), a mod banned the original poster. The original poster still posts with an alt, who has not been banned.

A third topic has been opened stating the exact same things as the first two threads. It has not been closed.

The poster, after being banned for abusive comments, posted a long review that focused less on the game, and more on DoubleBear as a company. The review contains only one line about the actual game, and instead focuses on the bugs in the game, and reiterates the demand for a personal apology - it does not mention that DoubleBear has released four patches within two weeks addressing many of the major issues. The original poster never stated what their issues were, and has ignored attempts from the dev team to work to get them solved.

We have since learned (this morning) that the review was flagged by someone on the dev team, based on Steam guidelines regarding off-topic reviews - their actions are currently under internal review. We apologize for any confusion or misinformation relating to this, and have been piecing this together (a tough thing to do over the holidays - we're not exactly "in the office")

As you can see, the review is no longer flagged. Additionally, you will notice there are plenty of negative reviews that are not flagged. We do not possess the ability to delete reviews, and we left all of the reviews, positive or negative, up.
More information.

If those are the facts (and I have no reason to doubt it), I can understand the bind they were in. We've had similar situations here at the Watch with troll posters. If you just "leave them be", they continue to escalate via abusive rhetoric and multiple posts until they force some sort of action. That's their whole purpose, after all. Once you take the action they're trying so hard to prompt, they suddenly turn into free speech martyrs and can't possibly understand how they could have been treated so poorly. It's a no-win situation for the forum mods and the forum community suffers either way.

Yet one review went missing and was banned, today to be erased. A review by Jinxx that addressed the dubious status of the early access release, questioning whether a demo should be considered as early access. Highly popular, negative and influential.

The statement that all reviews were left untouched is therefore untrue.

Maybe time to focus on delivering a game instead of trying to spin things off.

^ It's a disturbing trend. I wonder how defenders of DB are going to reply over this.

Additionally, regarding Brian's comments, I will just post the reply from another user from Steam's Dead State forum; since I have the exact same questions that he raises:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/239840/discussions/0/627456359689053892/#c627456486293338186

—-

Originally posted by bmitsoda [developer] :
previous thread, was started by the same poster, after which it began to also go off-topic and became abusive.

- You must now explicitly describe HOW and WHY it became abusive and by WHOM, and WHO typed the abusive comments in these now LOCKED OR DELETED THREADS.

A third topic has been opened stating the exact same things as the first two threads. It has not been closed.

The poster, after being banned for abusive comments

- Now, you must describe these abusive comments, you must describe what the user typed and show us what you mean as "abusive comments" and you must also clarify WHO'S comments he was BANNED FOR.

You see, I don't like this type of dishonesty, and this lack of transparency.

I've also screenshotted this post so when you ban me I will have it for my personal record. And Steam really needs to step in with safeguarding PAYING CUSTOMERS from ABUSIVE DEVELOPERS.

—-

Last edited:
Could someone just lock this one too, please? We don't need the Watch hijacked by this nonsense. They can take their "free speech" to a youtube comments section, or 4chan.

^ It's a disturbing trend. I wonder how defenders of DB are going to reply over this.

Additionally, regarding Brian's comments, I will just post the reply from another user from Steam's Dead State forum; since I have the exact same questions that he raises:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/239840/discussions/0/627456359689053892/#c627456486293338186

—-

previous thread, was started by the same poster, after which it began to also go off-topic and became abusive.

- You must now explicitly describe HOW and WHY it became abusive and by WHOM, and WHO typed the abusive comments in these now LOCKED OR DELETED THREADS.

The poster, after being banned for abusive comments

- Now, you must describe these abusive comments, you must describe what the user typed and show us what you mean as "abusive comments" and you must also clarify WHO'S comments he was BANNED FOR.

I've also screenshotted this post so when you ban me I will have it for my personal record. And Steam really needs to step in with safeguarding PAYING CUSTOMERS from ABUSIVE DEVELOPERS.

—-

Troll.

^ Thanks for your insightful and intelligent response! :)

I could have said sheep.

That's a standard response when you have nothing substantial to add to the issue being discussed.

I will refrain from derailing the thread anymore..if you want to continue, be my guest.

I don't think you really have anything to add....still waiting for something of substance.

The sad thing is if you go to the review sites on steam is people like you have upvoted all these barely legible reviews like they are some work of art because it is the mob mentality. Some you can't even read. Seriously, the world is a messed up place when kids like that get freedom to do what they want with no response to their actions.

I think it's safe to say I will be ignoring you Aditya, because honestly I think you don't have anything to add.

Could someone just lock this one too, please? We don't need the Watch hijacked by this nonsense. They can take their "free speech" to a youtube comments section, or 4chan.

I don't use this forum quite that often, but untill today was just because my taste in games, particularly the RPG kind, is in total discordance with most of the other users (well, in fact, the very definition of an RPG is so different for me that I doubt we are playing the same thing).
But from now on I have a much bigger issue. This forum users do not like different opinions. In fact, they are trying to ban them from the forum. This is rather unpleaseant. In the past I already had to contend with people patronizing me for having a different point of view on what defines a good (or bad) RPG or labeling me as a troll for showing my discordance when everybody else is applauding some game I detest. Now this is extending to everything else.
I don't know the opinion of the forum moderators on this matter, but if they want to keep this a public forum and not an old-school/ crowdfunding-fanboy-site for the good ole' boys, they better show that they don't approve of this kind of childish attitude.

I agree that perhaps this shouldn't be posted as news, but those who want to discuss the issue should be allowed to.

I haven't played the game yet myself, as I wanted to wait until it was finished, so I don't have an opinion of this particular game, but the developers do come off as childish. It also seems stupid of them to even suggest that writing about the technical state of the game isn't relevant in a review. Reading that I think back to Forsaken Gods, that was unplayable for years (releasing something like that is almost equal to stealing money)

I don't use this forum quite that often, but untill today was just because my taste in games, particularly the RPG kind, is in total discordance with most of the other users (well, in fact, the very definition of an RPG is so different for me that I doubt we are playing the same thing).
But from now on I have a much bigger issue. This forum users do not like different opinions. In fact, they are trying to ban them from the forum. This is rather unpleaseant. In the past I already had to contend with people patronizing me for having a different point of view on what defines a good (or bad) RPG or labeling me as a troll for showing my discordance when everybody else is applauding some game I detest. Now this is extending to everything else.
I don't know the opinion of the forum moderators on this matter, but if they want to keep this a public forum and not an old-school/ crowdfunding-fanboy-site for the good ole' boys, they better show that they don't approve of this kind of childish attitude.

I've used rpgwatch.com as my homepage for years. There are two reasons for this; I appreciate the news section here more than any other gaming site, and I mostly find the general opinion to be in line with my own opinion.

As you can see from my history, Dead State was one of the games I really looked forward to (and I always try to support indie developers), and I still think it'll be a blast when I eventually try it. Having said that, I fail to see where the blind support of DoubleBear as a company comes from. It might be that they've made an excellent game, but in this particular case they are doing pretty much everything wrong.

I've used rpgwatch.com as my homepage for years. There are two reasons for this; I appreciate the news section here more than any other gaming site, and I mostly find the general opinion to be in line with my own opinion.

As you can see from my history, Dead State was one of the games I really looked forward to (and I always try to support indie developers), and I still think it'll be a blast when I eventually try it. Having said that, I fail to see where the blind support of DoubleBear as a company comes from. It might be that they've made an excellent game, but in this particular case they are doing pretty much everything wrong.

I've also used it usually as a source of information. No matter the difference of opinion between myself and the average Watch user, the news posts are actually very inclusive. Mostly I avoid reading the discussions about recent Bethesda's, Bioware's, Square Enix's and similar big studios because I already know what comes next. But this is quite different.
I won't say more about Dead State, as I finished it today and was very much annoyed by the ending (as annoyed - or maybe more - as I was with all the bugs). To avoid spoilers I'll keep it at that....

I also will make just one more comment on this fiasco, and leave it at that. I think the developer of this game has made several disastrous mistakes in terms of this controversy, and now they are reaping what they sowed, from angry gamers who paid them money. I think it is pretty obvious they have pissed off a lot of their backers, and then made the situation ten times worse, by poor judgement and actions.

Lastly, people keep talking about "entitlement". Well, I will approach it from a different angle. No developer is entitled to only have positive reviews of their game, no developer is entitled to try and censor negative reviews, and no developer is entitled to have people buy their game, just because they worked hard on it. Period. When a customer pays money, they are (of course) entitled to a product for that money. It is not a charity, when people give money to developers to make a game, they are expecting things in return.

Anyway, I think the moderator was right, everything that was needed to be said, has been said. I'm also done with this topic, like the others said above.

Last edited:

Excuse me? No they don't. They didn't even have to tell you why they locked the thread.

Then you've picked the wrong medium. I've been commenting on forums since the GEnie days. NOBODY goes into detailed reasons as to why an action is being done! Doing so simply invites more arguments from people such as you who seem to think they share ownership of the system. If the forum owner says a discussion stops now then it stops now. Period. No discussion. No appeals. No inquires. It's DONE.

P.S. Made a screenshot? Like that's evidence? Would you like to see a screenshot of your post here where you apologize to DB and admit that you're actually working for EA to try and stir up Internet Hate? It shouldn't take too long to whip one up.

Please take this discussion to another forum.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom