Witcher The Witcher- Technical issues.

The Witcher
Be sure you get your driver updates from the manufacturer and perhaps redo them. Tech support at HP told me they got reports of corrupted driver files being released. Worth a try if all else fails.

I actually sit on XP and Have upgraded my drivers so its not that.

I based upon your specs in your profile (vista is there).

Do you have Service Pack 2 to xp?

It could be also spyware, adware, anti-virus in the background that couses crashes.

You can change also virtual memory.

Last edited:
Additionally you might re-run your DirectX package on the disk, it is a newer version from the best I can tell, as m$ most current is 7/2007 and these are 9/2007, iirc.

Sometimes DirectX drivers can get broken, plus you might try running it in window mode, if it's possible (can't remember as I can't get mine working correctly) as a test.

The only other driver possibilities I can think of would be Bios, motherboard, sound or mouse which all can cause crashes due to incompatibly issues and disk fragmentation is also a possibility.

Or of course like me, you may need to wait till Cd Projekt gets around to the next patch, while these others here are enjoying ravaging local vixens, smashing faces and slaying beast, bastards! :p

You don't know how bad I feel for you, Ace.:p I'd go into it further but I have to get back to ravishing the local vixens and tossing back some flagons of pepper vodka (in a role playing kind of way, of course)

Edit; BTW, I must say you're doing a good job of biting the bullet--this would be me-->:furious: :raincloud::bigcry::wall: then I'd probably be trying to beg borrow or steal someone ele's pc with heinous results:police:

Last edited:
magerette
I'd go into it further but I have to get back to ravishing the local vixens and tossing back some flagons of pepper vodka
:cries: , I love ravaging......vixens, errrr.... I mean peppered vodka!

Hehe, well it's nothing really except I have no choice, since I didn't buy it here in the US.
That will teach me, not to be distracted by jiggly bits! :biggrin:

Well, actually that' s not really likely. ;)

I am glad everyone seems to be having fun, so it sounds like a pretty good game over all, just several technical issues.

I think ill just wait for a new patch and computer so I can enjoy it with better graphics :). Only worry is that its very clear that vista users are experiencing a lot of crashes even with new computers and it seems it has something to do with the dvd protection.

Not all of 'em. I've had one CTD so far, in several tens of hours of playing, and that's quite possibly because I recently overclocked my CPU. (Vista x64 here.)

It's Working! :)

Well it turns out reverting back to older drivers fixes the problems, WOOT! :biggrin:
As I read about many people having problems with newer drivers and HiddenX's mention it seemed to be with AGP, I tried the going back a full version about 1 year, to 6.10 and boom, big badda boom it worked. :)

Even the cutscenes worked much better, I still get minor ticks though, seems I remember reading this happens with less than 2gig of RAM.

Most excellent! It was straining me, feeling all that pity for you ;) :)

Big fix for The Witcher!

Ok, we all know The Witcher has awful memory issues in vista 32-bit, i myself have been getting CTD every 10-15mins, so i was fooling around and decided to plug in my 4gb usb pen/zip drive and enable readyboost. Lo and behold, The Witcher benefits from this tremendously, i now have just left the game running for 3 days straight alt+tabbing out when i want to use my internet or WoW, no CTD, no reboots, The Witcher now works perfectly, hope this helps u guys out too.
My system specs are as follows,
Core 2 quad Q6600@2.4ghz
geforce 8800GTX 768mb
Ageia PhysX 256mb
4GB DDR2 800mhz

Last edited:
Nice find thanks, if this up and coming 1.2 patch doesn't help, I made need to get one. ;)

I've installed the game and it plays fine... most of the time

The only recurring issue i've had is specific textures becoming partially transparent and possibly reflecting the sky too.
certain parts of the ground in Kaer Morhen are an example, where you can see right down through the castle to the ground with trees on it. It happens frequently with cave/crypt walls and window textures.

No one else seems to have reported this... let alone suggest a fix

I also get random CTDs while saving, opening the map or journal, or changing area, but these might be normal (considering the experiences of other people here) and these became less frequent after installing the 1.2 patch

My system, if it helps:
Intel Core 2 Duo 6550 (2.33GHz)
2GB DDR2-800 RAM
512MB ATi Radeon HD3870
Windows XP SP2

EDIT:
I found that disabling antialiasing fixes the semitransparent texture problem. I liked my antialiasing, though :(
Hopefully this is an ATi driver issue and will be fixed soon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom