Divinity: Original Sin II - Final Kickstarter Update

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
With the release of the Definitive Edition of Original Sin 2 in 2 days, a final Kickstarter update is made available.

This will be the last Kickstarter update for Divinity:Original Sin 2.

We’ll obviously continue to support the game with patches and we are still working on ports to other platforms, but content wise we’ll be moving on to new things. Expect to hear a lot more from us once we’re ready to announce our new endeavors.

It’s been a great ride.

You are all fantastic.
The contents of this update is obviously about the release of the Definitive Edition.

As Kickstarter backers, you should already have Divinity: Original Sin 2 in your Steam or GOG library. Once we go live on the 31st, the game will update, adding a launcher window that will let you choose between the original version of the game or the Definitive Edition.

You can continue playing the existing version and use your existing saves, but if you want to try out the Definitive Edition, you will need to create a new character.

This update is 100% free and everyone that owns the game on the 31st will receive the Definitive Edition automatically.

You will also get free access to our new mini-companion DLC, Sir Lora.

If you want to know what’s in the Definitive Edition, check out this 53 page document containing all the changes. (Warning: Massive spoilers ahead.)
There is a stream to kick things of.

To celebrate the release of the Definitive Edition, we’re organizing a massive live stream from PAX West. We’ll be showing the game, answering any questions you might have and hopefully also bringing in a few surprise guests. It should be a lot of fun, so be sure to tune in.

The stream will go live at 10am PDT / 6pm GMT and you can find us directly on our store page within the steam application or on their website.
And as always, there is a new video.

Swen returned to the place where it all began to record this final Kickstarter update. He tells the tale of how sometimes drastic measures are necessary if you want to release a game...

More information.

As I am not even finished with the game, I have to think about restarting or just continue my existing play.

Me neither think I'll wait a few more days to play the game.
We’ll obviously continue to support the game with patches and we are still working on ports to other platforms, but content wise we’ll be moving on to new things. Expect to hear a lot more from us once we’re ready to announce our new endeavors.
So I expect we'll see a switch port someday?

I also sincerely hope we see other games developed instead of more Original Sin games.

As I am not even finished with the game, I have to think about restarting or just continue my existing play.

I'm in the same boat. Made it to the city of Arx and just got burnt out on the game I guess. I had the same thing happen with D:OS1 where I made it to the last 1/4 of the game but ended up restarting a new game when the enhanced edition came out because I stopped playing a number of months went by. Since about 5 months has gone by now since I last played D:OS2, I'll probably just start a new game with the definitive edition.

Whatever they're having at Larian's, I want some.

Gonna miss that music. Again.

P.S. +1 to the guy who was able to go down the step with a bucket on his head!

I also haven't finished the game. Not sure if there's enough new stuff here content wise to justify a restart...

I'm still bummed out that we wont be getting new talents and skills; kinda mist opportunity :/ Especially since there wont be any expansions or dlcs.

Well I will not complain about a company who is respecting its customers and delivers. I got bored with the D:OS1 after a third of the game but this one I just loved it.
Kudos, lot of kudos to them

This is live tomorrow and the Steam page isn't up?

I'm keen to check out the complete patch notes :)

You gotta watch the video:

From what they said in the video it isn't a new game; it is a patch to the existing game. When you start the game you will be given an option to play either the original release or the definitive release.

This is live tomorrow and the Steam page isn't up?

I'm keen to check out the complete patch notes :)

Was there any talk about addressing the rapidly outleveled loot problem in the "definitive" edition?

I felt the first one had better combat (or at least more fun combat); the second had a better story - well not the necessarily the overall story but the key points were better written/presented. Esp the origin stories which were mostly quite good (imho). I found the combat less fun but the tractical arrangement was generally better or more interesting (if that makes sense)

Well I will not complain about a company who is respecting its customers and delivers. I got bored with the D:OS1 after a third of the game but this one I just loved it.
Kudos, lot of kudos to them

Was there any talk about addressing the rapidly outleveled loot problem in the "definitive" edition?

There are mods for that. I got so annoyed by the absurdly scaling numbers I restarted with a mod that simply reduced the bloat but didn't change the balance (maybe slightly since you didn't have to buy new gear as often, but money was never the problem anyway).

It made for a much better progression system in my opinion.

I got to the final battle area. I was close to the end of my patience with the turn based combat. Can be fun but sooooo long. I forgot to save and after about 2 hours of battling my way through I made a stupid mistake in a very long combat and died.

I should have just quit and cooled off but I was so annoyed, and frustrated, I deleted the game and the saves. So got like 95% of it done. I don't think I could go through it again. The combat was just too painful in length and not a fan of the constant equipment scaling. I loved the rest of the game though.

That being said I do recommend the game especially if you like turn based combat. But will be a long time before I am ready to consider playing it again.

I got to the final battle area. I was close to the end of my patience with the turn based combat. Can be fun but sooooo long. I forgot to save and after about 2 hours of battling my way through I made a stupid mistake in a very long combat and died.

I should have just quit and cooled off but I was so annoyed, and frustrated, I deleted the game and the saves. So got like 95% of it done. I don't think I could go through it again. The combat was just too painful in length and not a fan of the constant equipment scaling. I loved the rest of the game though.

That being said I do recommend the game especially if you like turn based combat. But will be a long time before I am ready to consider playing it again.

It's interesting you struggled so much with the turn-based combat, as I thought it was possibly the fastest TB system in any CRPG I've played. Certainly for a traditional CRPG like this.

They deliberately cut the action points down to a minimum in order to make combat flow faster.

Hehe, I'm a very impatient person myself - and I played it with two other people - both of whom took at least twice as long with their turns, when compared to me ;)

It's interesting you struggled so much with the turn-based combat, as I thought it was possibly the fastest TB system in any CRPG I've played. Certainly for a traditional CRPG like this.

They deliberately cut the action points down to a minimum in order to make combat flow faster.

Hehe, I'm a very impatient person myself - and I played it with two other people - both of whom took at least twice as long with their turns, when compared to me ;)

I am not sure as I played some TB games way back in the day. But it had been a long time since I had when I picked up DDOS2. I did enjoy it for about half, maybe even 2/3rds, of the game. Got into a rhythm. But I dunno after a while the length of the battles, while short for a TB game, started to get under my skin. Maybe I was just tired of all the constant item micro management and the many previous hours of long combat (I didn't take many breaks from the game and pretty much played whenever I had a chance to).

The fact that I made it so far is a testament to how much I enjoyed it ...and there were parts of the combat I was very fond of. If I had kept my patience at the time (perhaps I had too much coffee in me) I would have just taken a break for a few days then gone back and finished it ... I really wish I had. But whats done is done.

I just know that as of right now the idea of playing another TB games gives me the chills ... so that burned out feeling hasn't passed yet. I admit I do prefer the RTwP style the most along with combat in a game like Skyrim and FO ... which I know others don't like but I do *shrug*.

I am not sure as I played some TB games way back in the day. But it had been a long time since I had when I picked up DDOS2. I did enjoy it for about half, maybe even 2/3rds, of the game. Got into a rhythm. But I dunno after a while the length of the battles, while short for a TB game, started to get under my skin. Maybe I was just tired of all the constant item micro management and the many previous hours of long combat (I didn't take many breaks from the game and pretty much played whenever I had a chance to).

The fact that I made it so far is a testament to how much I enjoyed it …and there were parts of the combat I was very fond of. If I had kept my patience at the time (perhaps I had too much coffee in me) I would have just taken a break for a few days then gone back and finished it … I really wish I had. But whats done is done.

I just know that as of right now the idea of playing another TB games gives me the chills … so that burned out feeling hasn't passed yet. I admit I do prefer the RTwP style the most along with combat in a game like Skyrim and FO … which I know others don't like but I do *shrug*.

Hehe, fair enough. I do concede it had some tiresome bits - especially when the various elemental traps and what not took over.

Also, I agree about the inventory management. That was truly awful - considering the otherwise excellent design of most of the game.

Thankfully, I played with a friend of mine who's extremely patient and meticulous when it comes to fiddling with the minor crap - like managing items and selling them at the best prices, etc.

So, my brother and I would just send him all the crap and occasionally wait while he went back to town and maximised profit ;)

Coupled with my very enthusiastic pickpocketing - money wasn't much of an issue ;)

I'm amazed at the number of folks who complain about inventory management (though it is a common complaint); but never fear they redid it in the definitive edition. As for combat i was some what confused by you being amazed that tb combat can be time intensive. Particularly in some of the very difficult fights on the difficult level it can take a bit of 'planning' between moves - but it depends on your party composition (and equipment) and placement as some 'hard' fights can be quite trivial for others. remember a couple of fights being quite time consuming. That doesn't mean they are unenjoyable just that they take a lot of time.

Also - for myself - as i've said several times I found d:eek:s-2 combat less enjoyable than d:eek:s. The first time I played (have played twice); i had quite a few very difficult fights but the second time I only had 3 or 4 (nothing like getting ambushed in a bad position 2 levels below game expectation on hardest level - you should be able to figure out which fight this is as there are only a couple of places this can happen); the second time I played the game that same fight was a walk - go figure. Anyway i'll probably play the definitive version once - i also have one more origin story i want to explore and i want to see how they reworked the last chapter which I have frequently complained was quite poor start to end.

Back
Top Bottom