Bioshock - PC Demo Now Available

Piracy? No not at all this is the Legal Demo, File Planet released the Unencrypted Demo out Accidently.
Not sure where you got they were Hacked, maybe you were guessing and did Not read the official forum threads, posted.

That's what I understood. Mistakenly, apparently.

SIlly, rush?

Yes. Wait a half a dozen hours and it'll be nice, neat and multi-mirrored. I don't get the chaos and hurry of people to get a demo. Then again, I guess the messy release is to blame

how many people wish they hadn't tripped over themselves to get a 360 when it first came out?

The fileplanet copy is a good example of why you should always wait.

There's new nvidia drivers out now for performance in bioshock. Should also be some from ati. grab them before playing the demo or full game.

Brother None
"Yes. Wait a half a dozen hours and it'll be nice, neat and multi-mirrored. "
Hehe, yes your right of course, but this is Bioshock! :)

I'm running it on a Pentium 4 3.2 ghz, 1.5 gb ram and 7600 gt vid. card, and it runs fine at 1280 x 960. This game is genuinely creepy, but to my tastes, it almost seems like there's too much going on in the game. Don't get me wrong, it's extremely well done from top to bottom, but the whole but it's an awfully frantic experience.

Played through the demo on a Core 2 Duo E6300, 2048MB RAM (DDR-400), XFX GeForce 7950GT 512MB AGP, Win XP w/ 94.24 XFX drivers (the new nVidia beta drivers that were released today once again don't support 79xx AGP cards).
Performance was great most of the time in 1280x1024 with all visual eye candy enabled. It stuttered a little and got a little choppy when there was a lot of stuff going on but overall it was acceptable.

I liked pretty much everything about the demo so maybe it's easier to focus on the "bad" stuff ;) .

The first thing I found pretty weird was that the character did not say a word. After the plane crash he managed to get back to the surface and we can hear him breathing hard, gasping for air but he doesn't say a thing? Huh? And it seems even weirder that he doesn't say anything when he discovers the lighthouse and the entrance to Rapture. A good old fashioned "What the fuck?" would have seemed very appropriate here :biggrin: . OK, maybe it will all make sense in the end if/when we find out that our character is not human or something but it's just kinda strange that the guy doesn't react to these crazy events/discoveries at all. Definitely could have used some Prey-like comments to make it seem more real and less awkward.

Another thing that I am slightly disappointed in is that the credibility of the world could have been better. There are invisible walls that are holding you back from going to places that you can see. You barely take any damage from fire. And whenever there is a leak then the water pours in like mad but the water level doesn't rise at all. Those leaks would have maybe been the perfect opportunity to create a sense of urgency to get your butt in gear and move on but I guess that they thought otherwise.

On the interface and interaction side it might have been nice to have a real inventory where you can store your picked up stuff instead of the instant consumption/usage of everything that is lying around somewhere.

And finally on the technical side, I think they have set a new record for loading times. Luckily you don't have to reload on death but you just respawn at the nearest shrine ummm... vita thingie, I mean :) .
I also got some sound crackling though I'm not sure if this is due to the retro theme of the game (read: intended) or a real sound issue.
Well, and being a non-native English speaker I turned on subtitles and found out that they need some polishing because they are not synced with the voices. What's nice is that you can replay every(?) dialogue and radio message so it's not a big deal and I turned subtitles off again very quickly.

Other than these fairly minor issues it looks like a great game that is 100% FPS (as advertised). The atmosphere is great, the enemies are pretty wild, the setting is making you curious to move on and to get further into the story, the hacking mini game is a lot of fun, ... it's all good. Bring it on :) .

The first thing I found pretty weird was that the character did not say a word. After the plane crash he managed to get back to the surface and we can hear him breathing hard, gasping for air but he doesn't say a thing? Huh? And it seems even weirder that he doesn't say anything when he discovers the lighthouse and the entrance to Rapture. A good old fashioned "What the fuck?" would have seemed very appropriate here :biggrin: . OK, maybe it will all make sense in the end if/when we find out that our character is not human or something but it's just kinda strange that the guy doesn't react to these crazy events/discoveries at all. Definitely could have used some Prey-like comments to make it seem more real and less awkward.

I know that everyone isn't going to agree, but I actually like having a silent protagonist.

The main character was silent in both System Shock games, so it doesn't surprise me that he's the same way in Bioshock.

almost completely true JDR 13. you forgot his one word that was oh so priceless. "...nah"

i'm keeping the demo at bay and instead been defraging my computer and driving over an hour out of town for dinner so i wouldn't be tempted. going in early to work tommorow for a half day so i can spend the rest of it with bioshock...tick tock tick tock

I'm getting it @ 1.1mb a sec from Gamespot, then again I'm one of those types who hand them money once a year to have hassle-free and quick access to such things. I dont know what the free account gets you, prolly not so nice.

They also have a video review up from Jeff Gerstmann @ 9.0

I know that everyone isn't going to agree, but I actually like having a silent protagonist.

I haven't played the demo since I've already pre-ordered Steam, but this is one of those things I have very mixed feelings about. On the one hand I can understand and appreciate it from an immersive narrative stand-point, but on the other sometimes it makes no sense at all. Because no speaking means no interaction with other people, no discussion, etc. And that means you ned to spend the entire game either working around it or ignoring it ... like in HL2. I know you liked it there ... and you know I didn't ;)

I also got some sound crackling though I'm not sure if this is due to the retro theme of the game (read: intended) or a real sound issue.

Turn off reverb in sound settings.

And finally on the technical side, I think they have set a new record for loading times. Luckily you don't have to reload on death but you just respawn at the nearest shrine ummm... vita thingie, I mean

Ummm, did we try the same game! I have a much much slower AMD 3700+ and Geforce 7800GTX... and the load times were very short! :S

Me too... most of the time. It's hard to do well, and requires a very well-written main character. The character voices in NWN2 for example are just lame; OTOH Chronicles of Riddick did this extremely well. As did good ol' Duke Nukem 3D back in the day, although that was rather different. ("It's time to chew gum or kick ass... and I'm all outta gum.")

Weird. If I try to install nVidia's GeForce beta drivers, it says that the program cannot detect any drivers for hardware in my system. I checked if I had the correct drivers four times, downloaded it twice and I have a GeForce 6800 GT, which should be supported by the driver I downloaded. What the hell?

Weird. If I try to install nVidia's GeForce beta drivers, it says that the program cannot detect any drivers for hardware in my system. I checked if I had the correct drivers four times, downloaded it twice and I have a GeForce 6800 GT, which should be supported by the driver I downloaded. What the hell?

I had the same issue when my video card was going out--it wouldn't install or even acknowledge the new drivers. It was a memory writing issue for me. Hope that's not the case for you. These are beta drivers so who knows? :)

Can't imagine it's my video card that's giving up. I haven't had any problem at all with it, and this is the first time I've ever seen something weird coming up.

Anyway, I've played through the short demo already, so it's moot. The framerate wasn't the best on my AMD 3500+ 2GB RAM GeForce 6800 GT computer, but playable to some extent. Framerate dropped below 10 FPS in busy fights.

I have to say that this game has the record for best in-game cut-scenes ever. I remember when first playing games like Mafia that I wasn't sure if it was prerendered or it the game engine had already kicked in; the same thing happened here, but I think it was all in-engine. I couldn't believe my eyes when I was swimming in the water among the flames. I need stuff like this ever few years when technology reaches a new landmark. :)

Perfect depth-of-field, the water effects, the mood, I thought it was great, but I'll need a video card update for this one at the least...

Turn off reverb in sound settings.

Will try that. Thanks :) .

Ummm, did we try the the same game! I have a much much slower AMD 3700+ and Geforce 7800GTX... and the load times were very short! :S

Yup. Must be a different game that we played :biggrin: . I just stopwatched the loading times (G15 keyboard display clock FTW!). The first loading sequence when the game is loading for the first time after the first cut scene took 50 seconds and the second one before you actually enter Rapture itself (right before you see your first Splicer) was 1:50 minutes. That's not what I call "very short". In fact it reminds me of the C64 days ;) .

The main character was silent in both System Shock games, so it doesn't surprise me that he's the same way in Bioshock.

I would agree if it were consistent and if he would shut up entirely but as I said it's plain weird that your character resurfaces from the ocean after the plane crash and you can hear him very loud and clear how he's breathing hard, gurgling, gasping for air, spitting out water and all that stuff. And then... silence. Just seems strange IMHO. You have this guy who just survived a plane crash and who is swimming in a sea of burning fuel in the middle of the ocean and he's got nothing to say? No crying for help? No "Shiiiiiiiiiiiit where am I"? No "WTF"? Nothing? Just seems awkward. They should have silenced him completely for it to seem more natural or added at least a few mumbling-to-self lines like you had in Prey or in Call of Juarez or Dark Messiah (or Duke3D as PJ pointed out) where it was well done in each of those games.

@Thaurin: Do you have an AGP model of the 6800GT? Some (all?) AGP models are not supported by the latest nVidia drivers. I was having the same problem with my XFX GeForce 7950GT AGP. I have to use the 94.24 drivers (which do work fine and I'm not too fond of beta drivers). If you really want to try the beta drivers though, you should be able to "hack" the INF file and force it to install. You should be able to find info on how to do that pretty quickly at a site like Guru3D (or their forums that is).

@Thaurin: Do you have an AGP model of the 6800GT?

Nope, PCI-Express...

If you really want to try the beta drivers though, you should be able to "hack" the INF file and force it to install. You should be able to find info on how to do that pretty quickly at a site like Guru3D (or their forums that is).

No need to be hasty, I guess. The demo ran fine, if maybe not perfectly, but it wouldn't have made a lot of difference I'm sure. It's not like my card is new and needs the latest updates, I think. I bet it's more for the latest generation of cards that need the tweaks.

Will try that. Thanks :) .

I would agree if it were consistent and if he would shut up entirely but as I said it's plain weird that your character resurfaces from the ocean after the plane crash and you can hear him very loud and clear how he's breathing hard, gurgling, gasping for air, spitting out water and all that stuff. And then... silence. Just seems strange IMHO. You have this guy who just survived a plane crash and who is swimming in a sea of burning fuel in the middle of the ocean and he's got nothing to say? No crying for help? No "Shiiiiiiiiiiiit where am I"? No "WTF"? Nothing? Just seems awkward. They should have silenced him completely for it to seem more natural or added at least a few mumbling-to-self lines like you had in Prey or in Call of Juarez or Dark Messiah (or Duke3D as PJ pointed out) where it was well done in each of those games.

I don't consider breathing hard, gurgling, gasping for air, and spitting out water, things that would exclude him from being a silent protagonist.

Duke Nukem 3D imho is to this day the best spoken character I've ever played in a FPS. I just recently discovered a program called Eduke that allows you to play Duke3D in WindowsXP in high resolution and with true mouse look. I can't believe how fun this game still is to play, I definitely plan on going through the whole game again in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom