RPGs for Android devices?

Sadly, it seems Icewind Dale is a bit too small to play comfortably on a5 inch screen. It could be done perhaps with a stylus, but I'm not sure if the shield stylus works on the portable. Well, I got a refund. :)

I found Icewind Dale to be pretty lousy to play on the 7" Kindle Fire HD, barely acceptable on the Samsung Tab Pro 8.4" and OK on the iPad 10". So not surprised it is terrible on a 5" screen.

I found Icewind Dale to be pretty lousy to play on the 7" Kindle Fire HD, barely acceptable on the Samsung Tab Pro 8.4" and OK on the iPad 10". So not surprised it is terrible on a 5" screen.
I may consider checking it out on a 10 inch screen. The Nvidia shield portable is an awesome device but one of the drawbacks is only the five inch screen. So, I'll have to find some RPGs that are playable on such a small screen. Icewind Dale is not one of them. :)

I may consider checking it out on a 10 inch screen. The Nvidia shield portable is an awesome device but one of the drawbacks is only the five inch screen. So, I'll have to find some RPGs that are playable on such a small screen. Icewind Dale is not one of them. :)

Like most things ... you're better off on a *real* computer for playing computer games.

Like most things … you're better off on a *real* computer for playing computer games.

Icewind Dale does look beautiful on my mom's 10" tablet. Seems like it would be very playable and enjoyable on that. Time to get myself a bigger tablet to go along with the Shield, hehe. :)

Like most things ... you're better off on a *real* computer for playing computer games.
I have found that pretty much every game I have attempted to play on the Nvidia shield portable has worked great! You'll need a program called Pinnacle Game Profiler, which allows you to map all the controls, even keyboard and mouse controls, to the shield portable controller.

Some games that I have successfully got working on the portable are drakensang (!!!), sacred gold, space hack, oblivion, elminage gothic, nwn, wizards and warriors (!!!), valkyria chronicles, etc. Great device, this is!!!

Some games that I have successfully got working on the portable are drakensang (!!!), sacred gold, space hack, oblivion, elminage gothic, nwn, wizards and warriors (!!!), valkyria chronicles, etc. Great device, this is!!!

Impressive, they need to advertise it more.

Impressive, they need to advertise it more.

Agreed! It's a really slick device. Here's some more info about it.

Drakensang is not quite playable due to one fatal flaw, and that is the UI does not scale with resolution. So, a 1280x720 resolution (the native resolution of the Shield Portable's screen), has the same size text as a 1440p resolution, or any other res for that matter. So, some of the text is a little hard to read unfortunately.

Every game works on the Portable, though, and runs without any hiccups. I've got Risen playing on it now with all the controls mapped to the controller and it works flawlessly. The text is able to be read and everything is able to be controlled from the controller. Awesome!

Of course, the Shield also supports all Android games, as well as emulators and all that fun stuff. Again, some of the touch-screen native Android games could be a bit more tricky to control with the touch-screen, since some UIs tend to be a little small by default. Baldur's Gate: EE and Icewind Dale: EE, for example, are 2 games that I would play on at least an 8-inch tablet, not the Shield portable.

So, it really is a great device and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Would recommend it to anyone who wants to play some PC games in a portable setting. :)

I use a Google Nexus 7 2013 for all my portable gaming needs. Runs most Android emulators I've tried fine. Using it with a Sony DualShock 3 controller paired through bluetooth for those long plane trips. Would like to try Dosbox Turbo since there were so many good RPGs for DOS.

I use a Google Nexus 7 2013 for all my portable gaming needs. Runs most Android emulators I've tried fine. Using it with a Sony DualShock 3 controller paired through bluetooth for those long plane trips. Would like to try Dosbox Turbo since there were so many good RPGs for DOS.

I used Doxbox Turbo on my Nexus 7 2012. My case had a bluetooth keyboard built-in, and I used a USB OTG adapter for a mouse. It was an excellent setup for DOS RPGs. I have a Shield tablet now, so one of these days i'll test it out again, but try the stylus this time.

Agreed! It's a really slick device. Here's some more info about it.

Drakensang is not quite playable due to one fatal flaw, and that is the UI does not scale with resolution. So, a 1280x720 resolution (the native resolution of the Shield Portable's screen), has the same size text as a 1440p resolution, or any other res for that matter. So, some of the text is a little hard to read unfortunately.

Every game works on the Portable, though, and runs without any hiccups. I've got Risen playing on it now with all the controls mapped to the controller and it works flawlessly. The text is able to be read and everything is able to be controlled from the controller. Awesome!

Of course, the Shield also supports all Android games, as well as emulators and all that fun stuff. Again, some of the touch-screen native Android games could be a bit more tricky to control with the touch-screen, since some UIs tend to be a little small by default. Baldur's Gate: EE and Icewind Dale: EE, for example, are 2 games that I would play on at least an 8-inch tablet, not the Shield portable.

So, it really is a great device and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Would recommend it to anyone who wants to play some PC games in a portable setting. :)

I'm running the EE for Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate on the Shield Tablet. I have to say the resolution makes a big difference too. Playing on the 720p Nexus 7 was good, but felt like the minimum. Just going to the Shield tablet only an inch bigger but with 1080p made a very big difference. Now it feels perfect. Especially with the stylus.

I'm running the EE for Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate on the Shield Tablet. I have to say the resolution makes a big difference too. Playing on the 720p Nexus 7 was good, but felt like the minimum. Just going to the Shield tablet only an inch bigger but with 1080p made a very big difference. Now it feels perfect. Especially with the stylus.

Awesome! I can't wait to get a Shield Tablet. The Portable is great, but for certain touch-screen games I want to go with the bigger Shield Tablet. For the games you just quoted, for example. Definitely want to play those on a bigger screen!

Hopefully I can pick up a used Shield Tablet soon to complement my Shield Portable. Together they cover many portable gaming bases. :)

Kemco makes some great RPGs for Android. I'm currently playing Legend of Ixtona and it's a very fun strategy JRPG. Lots of unique, quirky characters, fun and challenging battles and just a myriad of skill customization, classes, equipment, etc. It's a full-range strategy RPG that is very impressive for a mobile game.

Just search Kemco RPGs or something on Google Play. They have tons of games and they all seem to be worth playing.

Man. Man! Icewind Dale for Android is crazy good! Makes it seem like it was designed with tablets in mind. Beautiful. Just make sure you play it on at *least* an 8-inch screen. Anything less and you will have some issues.

But on an 8" Nvidia Shield tablet, it's butters. :)

Like most things … you're better off on a *real* computer for playing computer games.
Since we're going off topic, I've got a lower end Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 (core-m 5y10/4GB RAM/64GB SSD SSD & batt are replaceable 10.6"/1920x0180(pretty good screen/loud speakers(run @ 50% vol for most use)) which plays older games not badly, and some newer ones on low-medium settings. Bestbuy had a deal on these(may still have) for $500, get a movers pack from USPS send for coupon, get it via email and voila $450 + tax. Alternatively some people mentioned stacking ebay discounts when Bestbuy sells through ebay to get it for $400(only saw 1 or 2 reports of this, so not sure about it).

Secondly, apparently most of the 7140 refurbs from Dell are new or might as well be which in the past I have seen them offering the highest end 5y71 w/8GB RAM(the TRUE benefit of the high end as core m only varies by max turbo speed 2.8GHz for 5y71 v. 2GHz for my 5y10 but because of thermal throttling the 5y71 really isn't much better passively cooled which these are) for c. $635.

Lastly I ordered a cube i7 stylus which is essentially the same as my 7140(5y10c/4GB RAM/64GB SSD) from banggood. They sell @ $350 but IF you use their online app to order you get a 10% off discount, so I ordered the keyboard for it + tablet -> $365 including DHL shipping(got it in 7d, really only took DHL 3d but they dawdled on picking up probably a lot shipment or something). keyboards not bad but only has ONE angle that the tablet(screen actually whole computer minus kb) sits at, but seems generally useful to me if slightly wobbly(posts are short and magnet not that strong -> strong whack and it'd probably tip or stand a good chance of). (I also have the mobile keyboard for the 7140, which has a mechanical lock and adjust like any notebook plus that keyboard has a battery that adds about 75% to the tablets battery runtime -> easily ALL day w/that kb although the cube i7 lasts (or seems to) about as long as thbe 7140 in light usage any pushing will drop these right down to 4-5h rather than c. 9h)

Also the cube i7 stylus will most likely come with a bogus copy of windows -> partial refund request or if you're lucky they'll send you a legit windows 10 key. I haven't checked mine thoroughly yet as I just received it.

Ah, also note that the cube i7 stylus has a WACOM digitizer, which I gather artists prize while the dell 7140 has a synaptics(IIRC) digitizer which I guess artists don't care so much for. Also the WACOM digitizer stylus needs no batteries while the synaptics stylus takes AAAA. I'm not an artist(no wacom stylus yet anyways) so I can't really comment on them other than yeah the stylus works on the 7140. I scribbled, I wrote words, I pseudo mouse utilized and let it sit idle long enough for the first battery to die before trying it again(c. 3m idle I guess kills the stylus battery). Apparently any wacom stylus should work on the cube i7 stylus.

Now Android -> AMI Duos. $15 for lollipop version IIRC(they changed pricing 'recently'(since I last checked in), which works on these, and works well on my 7140(I assume that the cube i7 will work similarly as I bet both are pretty much slightly modified Intel dev boards).

Oops. One last thing about the cube i7 stylus. Uses a realtek for wifi, and it's only 2.4GHz 802.11n. USB is a type C connector(IIRC) but an adapter to a full sized port was provided and it's apparently full power, full speed USB3 unlike some china devices.

I essentially picked up the cube i7 stylus as a throwaway, i.e. I've got a notebook and now this cube i7 that I'll take places where I think that there's a chance of it being stolen.

The Dell refurb, 8GB is really probably the best option, but I think that the price increase is kind of steep for a lousy $30 of RAM and a CPU of questionably higher value(fun fact ALL core m are apparently IDENTICALLY priced @ $281 or were a few months ago -> more than I paid for an i7-4770k or an i7-4800MQ... I'd like to know what Intel marketing is smoking as with the 7140 and cube i7 prices it seems that they had contact with reality since late spring... (core m is basically a step up from an atom)).

iGPU is HD 5300. HWINFO keeps showing edram info, but I've not tracked down that core m has any in any dox... or they just say no outright... but every core m that I've looked at apparently looks to hwinfo like it has edram...

OK so enough offtopic from me again... }:)

Man. Man! Icewind Dale for Android is crazy good! Makes it seem like it was designed with tablets in mind. Beautiful. Just make sure you play it on at *least* an 8-inch screen. Anything less and you will have some issues.

But on an 8" Nvidia Shield tablet, it's butters. :)

Did you finally get the Shield Tablet?

Did you finally get the Shield Tablet?

Yep. I now own all 3 of the Shield devices - the Shield Portable, Tablet and Controller.

The tablet is beautiful. I didn't realize a tablet screen could look that good at that size, but it does. I haven't used it much yet, but I can tell it's going to be a really great device. I love the stylus inclusion as well. It's my first time using a stylus and it is also really nice and responsive. The Shield is actually my first tablet ever, heh.

The Portable is no slouch, either. I would thoroughly recommend it to any PC gamer. Why? You can play pretty much any PC game on it through Gamestream, and even re-map the keyboard and mouse controls to the built-in controller. I'm currently playing some games on the PS2 emulator, PCSX2, and it performs beautifully for that. The PC can play the emulators and games natively and I can stream that footage directly to the Portable. The screen on the Portable is also really nice.

Haven't tried the controller yet but it's going to be my primary PC controller. I really wish there was a way to connect it wirelessly to my desktop, but as far as I know it only supports a wired USB connection. Still, it's nice to have a dedicated PC gaming controller, something I haven't had in a long time since my last controller broke. The Shield controller was also a bonus in the package I purchased for the Shield tablet, so it was definitely a nice little addition.

I really think the Portable and Tablet are best in class. While the Portable doesn't have games developed for it directly, it can stream all your PC games which is a huge bonus in its favor. Great stuff. :)

That's awesome. I love the display on the tablet. I still need to get the controller though. I have 2 Shield tablets now. 1 is stock, the other rooted. My only complaint would have to be the battery life, but it's basically desktop power stuffed into a small package so that's understandable.

That's awesome. I love the display on the tablet. I still need to get the controller though. I have 2 Shield tablets now. 1 is stock, the other rooted. My only complaint would have to be the battery life, but it's basically desktop power stuffed into a small package so that's understandable.

I haven't noticed battery life as being an issue with mine yet, but I do have a complaint with the Portable. It doesn't wake up from sleep mode. Most of the time I have to manually reboot the device to get it to turn on. Kind of a bummer but I have read that it could be an issue with rooted Shield devices, which my Portable is.

I want to root the Tablet as well but I don't want to encounter the same issue. How does your Tablet work rooted? Main reason I want to root is to possibly use a program such as Screen Stream Mirroring to mirror the screen and audio of the device to my PC. To stream audio most apps need your device to be rooted. I'd love to be able to play games on the tablet, stream to my PC and broadcast and record with OBS. Still working out the kinks of that bit, though. :)

I haven't noticed battery life as being an issue with mine yet, but I do have a complaint with the Portable. It doesn't wake up from sleep mode. Most of the time I have to manually reboot the device to get it to turn on. Kind of a bummer but I have read that it could be an issue with rooted Shield devices, which my Portable is.

I want to root the Tablet as well but I don't want to encounter the same issue. How does your Tablet work rooted? Main reason I want to root is to possibly use a program such as Screen Stream Mirroring to mirror the screen and audio of the device to my PC. To stream audio most apps need your device to be rooted. I'd love to be able to play games on the tablet, stream to my PC and broadcast and record with OBS. Still working out the kinks of that bit, though. :)

I should clarify, it's not just rooted, but running Blisspop instead of vanilla android. The older shield tablets were recalled because of a battery issue. Their solution was to send a new replacement tablet, and we were to just personally discard the old tablet (as it would be bricked and un-usable on the next update). So I "personally discarded it" by reflashing it, preventing the killcode update. So now I have two. One with a ticking timebomb battery. It comes out of sleep fine, but it's a different ROM and doesn't support the nVidia software anymore.

Back
Top Bottom