Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - leave comment

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor
I'm in the concept planning stages of creating a new RPG. It will be a 2D overworld, with numerous locations/dungeons to explore. Combat will be turn-based, but haven't decided if it's party based or not yet. I've come up with a concept that I think might work, but would prefer some input. For simplicity, it's a standard top-down tile map (3x3 or 5x5 visible at a time). But I wanted to do something different, rather than the standard cutsy jrpg concept with only south facing doors of which i'm not a fan (prefer a much more "western" style), hence the painted HD tiles, and character sprites that take artistic hints from Darkest Dungeon.

NOTE: Character sprite in image is a placeholder and not final. Credit goes to:
https://kimplate.deviantart.com/
As per the CC license requirements.

RqLZcF7.jpg

vtnHuN6.jpg

Character sprite would be somewhat similar to the following style:

234-0-1472499079.jpg

Last edited:
I voted :) And I was honest when I did :)

Looks great fam. Keep us updated as you get into the further stages of development.

I like the tileset and the new characters. The old ones look too much like Darkest Dungeon to me. Darkest Dungeon has really nice art, but it was an organic whole, it looks out of place here. The newer characters go better with the tiles.

Agree with Korplem. Everything looks nice except that those lines are rather jarring.

The 5x5 grid looks better thant the 3x3 grid IMO. Is this a mobile game? Also, you could use oblique projection for the overhead square view.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Graphical_projection_comparison.png

Examples include Ultima VII and the original SimCity.

Oblique projection was actually my first choice originally! I enjoy that style a lot, however it's rare and difficult to find an artist who will commission tile sets for it, or find a full featured tile set already out there. I was attracted to the tile set above because it the art style was unique (however as pointed out above, the tile seams are indeed distracting) However I'm still in the planning stages and even still considering isometric. As for platform, it would most likely be both mobile and desktop.

I started a project using oblique projection, too. It is serviceable.

[edit]

How do you embed YouTube?

Last edited:
[ YouTube ] 11 character YouTube code [ / YouTube ]

No spaces.

I should mention the oblique projection I was considering was specifically the up/left angle aka ultima 7 style, not just up (rpg maker style)

Back
Top Bottom