Witcher 2 What level is everyone playing on

The Witcher 2

CelticFrost

SasqWatch
Frist let me stated after i had a long long day at the office, poured a drink well the game installed I just sort of got use to how it felt. I just finished the frist one on the weekend so getting use to the new feel took a bit.
I am playing on hard and found it very hard at the start but now getting use to how you have to go about fighting. BTW loving the combat .... just feels so much smoother.
What level is everyone else on and did anyone try it on insane yet???

K hard is hard...i mean flipping hard
fighting i so far can deal with on hard...but getting the king past the dragon i think i have died 30 times
Not much of a spoiler but it is flipping hard....

I think the prologue is hard no matter what difficulty level you're on. There's about a dozen threads over at the GOG forums with people crying that they can't get to Chapter 1, and the vast majority are playing on Normal.

I came pretty close to lowering the difficulty to Normal, but I found it started to level out towards the end of Chapter 1.

And yeah, the dragon on the bridge was ridiculous. The inclusion of QTEs was a questionable decision at best, imo.

Still sitting back having a drink...trying to think of a plan to get past it....I don't mind the other battles fight roll run roll fight repeat...but being set on fire every no matter what way I go ....

Ah..ok, you're talking about the first time the dragon appears then. I died a few times there as well, but more from the guards than the dragon.

I took the left path, and simply waited to make sure the dragon wasn't doing a fly-by when I went from cover to cover. Let your companions engage the guards first, and strike at them from the behind or from the side.

I just play on normal, that's how I roll.

I already have enough aggravation in my daily life ='.'=

Normal - and it seems quite appropriate. I find I'm still struggling with multiple opponents, but I'm also improving as I go - which is a great sign.

There's no worse sign than having it easy from the beginning.

I fully expect to feel capable come mid-game - and if I'm not, then I'll have to revise my opinion about difficulty.

I will say, though, that CDPR have been very brave by making the game challenging like this on normal. I can see many casual/mainstream gamers be incredibly frustrated by this. I can only hope they stick with it, and come to appreciate the sensation of overcoming challenge in a game.

If the difficulty levels out as I expect, I think CDPR deserves great praise for going back to established CRPG roots. It's a tough gamble, seeing how much they have riding on this - and I hope it pays off.

Last edited:
On normal, to allow me some time to get the hang of it. I have always enjoyed and been pretty good at these action melee systems, so I'll probably bump it up to hard pretty soon.

I am playing it on hard.
I love the challenge. Keeps the game fresh and makes me feel badass ;)

The game is really balanced. And it clearly sets the tone of every difficulty mode.
Something many games get wrong. Hard being either easy, or impossible.

Insane difficulty is for people that played the game at least once. And want to replay it in very unique way.

So that will be my second replay.

Normal, still quite hard though. Especially bigger group fights later on. Also, I bumped into a big queen insect that I have no idea how to defeat - I can hardly harm her, and she kills me with two hits. It seems people generally use traps to defeat her, but I can't stand using traps. It's cheesy!

I ain't even gonna lie, I am playing on easy. :p For me RPGs are more about story and/or exploration. I view combat as a means to an end. If the average battle doesn't require much effort and the key battles require some thought and effort, without being headesk frustrating, that is about right for me.

In fact, I would say that Ultima 7 had just about the perfect combat system for me. I never had to do much or think about anything beyond just making sure everyone was equipped decently. The rest just happened automatically and was quick and painless.

Most games I do start out on normal mind you, but if I find it too hard or I'm dying too much after learning the system a bit I've got no shame to switch to easy. I'm generally fine on normal in most cases but this was one of the exceptions.

With all the people bitching about how hard the game is why don't they just turn the difficulty down? Is it some silly pride thing? Who cares? It's a single player game that supposed to be fun for you not some contest to show off.

I started on normal but found it hard with group of mobs so reduced to it easy! Then I levelled (the parry talent helps with group of mobs) up and some mobs started tp become too easy so went back to normal again :)

Playing on normal, I'm pretty satisfied with it and it was not easy like in TW1 - but I've now jumped into a cave with a dozen or more enemies… They of course killed me.
Uggh… Well… Another strategic approach is obviously needed, maybe other kind of pots, boms and traps… We'll see… But I'm not dropping the difficulty on easy! ;)

I don't plan to up the difficulty to hard either. When I replay the game, then yes, but currently it's fairly interesting even on normal.

Playing on normal, I'm pretty satisfied with it and it was not easy like in TW1 - but I've now jumped into a cave with a dozen or more enemies… They of course killed me.
Uggh… Well… Another strategic approach is obviously needed, maybe other kind of pots, boms and traps… We'll see… But I'm not dropping the difficulty on easy! ;)

I don't plan to up the difficulty to hard either. When I replay the game, then yes, but currently it's fairly interesting even on normal.

My current strategy with large groups:

Swallow potion before combat.

Use Quen sign primarily - and keep it up constantly.

Use daggers to kill when the chance arrives.

Most important: focus on the "quick attack" with left mouse button. It's MUCH better for moving between enemies in large crowds - and it's still pretty effective against most critters.

Thanks DA, I kinda got addicted to Yrden too much it seems... ;)

On hard.
Feels well balanced and it certainly isn´t tedious kind of hard.
The level of challenge merrily fluctuates which does all kind of good things to the overall experience.
I really dig the amount of options in combat.

I'm playing on Normal. I find it provides a good challenge without being frustratingly challenging and that's what I like. I'm trying to have a good time and enjoy the game afterall, not be kicked in the balls every 5 seconds. ;)

I'm playing on ab-normal. I don't think I'm out of the prologue yet. There are several extra quests if you explore thoroughly. I had kinda rushed through in the very beginning and wanted to replay and go slower. We're heading for the first village you come across in the game.

Back
Top Bottom