Peter Molyneux: “I’m only going to make one more game.”

I would think DW Bradley would have the inside track on that King of Hype crown, although his disjoint is more a case of not being able to translate his much-trumpeted designs into functional code.

And really, we should include another Wizardry alum if we're going to talk about King of Hype, shouldn't we? ;)

Molyneux has a slightly different disease. He can't put a lid on his much-trumpeted designs. He gets feature creep'd to death and is left with a steaming chaotic pile that can't possibly be turned into a fun game.

You don't have to put up with anything - you can buy the game or leave it be. He may be the king of Hype, sure - but I think the way people started hating on him is a bit over the top, really.

I'm aware of my ability to buy or not that's why I haven't bought any of his games since fable 1.

I can't think of anyone that I hate and I definitely don't care enough about him to hate him.

My comment was meant more in jest, but really if he makes 10 more or no more it won't make any difference to me as I won't buy them.

You guys are being dicks. He's the father of Dungeon Keeper & Populous, as such he is worthy of some respect. And you have to admit that Black and White was.... interesting. It was a great concept, anyway ='.'=

The Fable games are pretty fun too

You guys are being dicks. He's the father of Dungeon Keeper & Populous, as such he is worthy of some respect. And you have to admit that Black and White was…. interesting. It was a great concept, anyway ='.'=

The Fable games are pretty fun too

That's cool, but I never liked those games either.

I'd like to see Molyneux do a spiritual successor to Magic Carpet(I really enjoyed Magic Carpet 1&2), but this time with rpg elements. Magic Carpet was an amazing PC game for it's time, it really pushed the high end of games in the DOS era, because it had a high res mode which required 16mb of ram when most serious gamers only had 8mb, therefore pushing the envelope and encouraging gamers to upgrade) or try his hand at a supero hero rpg, he tried to do a superhero game before, but didn't succeed(the invincibles).

Did Molyneux design/had a hand in Magic Carpet? The concept of these games and implementation was far ahead of anything in their time and they were brilliant. Just thinking about Magic Carpet brings a huge smile on my face (fighting dragons on a flying carpet, create casltes and modify terrian on the fly - real magic!).

And you have to admit that Black and White was…. interesting. It was a great concept, anyway ='.'=
Exactly. A great concept that was allowed to grow out of control until the fun was wrung out. If I was putting a game together, I'd like to have Molyneux on the team during the concept phase. I'd like to have DWB on the team during the "mechanical design" phase. And I'd throw both of them out of the building before any serious coding was even considered.

I had no idea Peter Molyneux was responsible for Populous and Dungeon Keeper. Wow. Those games were fantastic.

So why does he get hated so much? I imagine it's another case of, "it's the internet - hating things is what we do". Reminds me of RPGCodex and people who just hate everything. Funny stuff really.

Yeah I can't stand people that hate everything. It's almost as annoying as people who love everything.

Don't mind me though, I'm in a mood today.

I had no idea Peter Molyneux was responsible for Populous and Dungeon Keeper. Wow. Those games were fantastic.

So why does he get hated so much? I imagine it's another case of, "it's the internet - hating things is what we do". Reminds me of RPGCodex and people who just hate everything. Funny stuff really.

Not at all. But there are certain people who naturally draw nothing but adoration or ire. Molyneux is just such a man.

Also, DK was merely interesting. DK2 - Which Molyneux had no part of - was awesome. Populous was pretty awesome. But hey, a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile. :)

Peter always tries to innovate, he's got a lot of good ideas floating around in that head of his. Unfortunately, he likes to blab a little too much before a game is finished. Some things don't make it into the game due to time, money, whatever. Maybe it's not even possible. And we all know that hell hath no fury like the Internet that doesnt get what it wants.

But he tries to think outside the box, tries to make something unique. I admire somebody far more that aims too high and falls short.

Did Molyneux design/had a hand in Magic Carpet? The concept of these games and implementation was far ahead of anything in their time and they were brilliant. Just thinking about Magic Carpet brings a huge smile on my face (fighting dragons on a flying carpet, create casltes and modify terrian on the fly - real magic!).

According to this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Carpet_(video_game)
Molyneux is listed as designer for Magic Carpet.
And in this link to an interview with him, he says he also did some of the programming on it. http://www.giantbomb.com/peter-molyneux/72-3890/news/

It has nothing to do with hate. It's a natural response to constant bullshit and inability to deliver anything even remotely like what was promised.

What he did in the ancient past has no relation to what he's like today. He keeps promising the world and when he utterly fails, he just goes on to promise another world.

That's laughable and worthy of no respect whatsoever.

But I don't hate anyone - certainly not someone I've never met. He's probably a very nice person - or maybe he's not. Who knows.

What I do know, however, is that he's full of shit and I don't mind saying so.

But, but, ... NPC's in Fable DO fart! As promised!

I liked Fable 1 quite a lot - until I found out that the enemies auto-level or auto-scale, that is.
From that point on my interest went towards zero.

And that's why I fear that I won't be liking Oblivion (from what I've heard) as much as many others do. Even Wizardry 8 was quite an disappointment. There, I felt that auto-scaling/auto-levelling was implemented to effectively hinder me to experience a rich story.

Since then, I hate auto-levelling/auto-scaling.

Because it's the story I want to experience in a game, not endless combat.

But maybe I'm so much different than the rest of Worldwide Gamers united, Inc. , because hack & slay aka "Action-RPGs" and shooters have become so much important nowadays …

Last Friday I talked to an employee of an Gamestop shop who was a veteran of gaming because he told me of having played games that were before my time … And even he had to admit that combat-oriented games are dominating everything else nowadays. He was even able to recall the first Anno games, and said that they had been at the very top of the German gaming/game-buying charts, but that the newer Anno games, althogh so much better than their predecessors … "no-one buys them".
For me, this is just another element of proof that the PC platform is kinda degenerated, because 1-2 genres dominate everything else.

Dungeon Keeper ? Let's try to be honest : No-one would buy that nowadays, except it would involve lots of hack & slay combat missions, carried out by the player himself/herself !

He was even able to recall the first Anno games, and said that they had been at the very top of the German gaming/game-buying charts, but that the newer Anno games, althogh so much better than their predecessors … "no-one buys them".
Actually I'm a proud owner of Anno2070 and all of it's mission DLC (didn't buy any DLC that doesn't have additional missions). So it's not true noone buys them. ;)

But with Anno2070 is another problem why ppl don't want to buy that game - it uses "always online" disgusting Ubisoft DRM!

Yes, I agree.

Perhaps the originl Anno users are now and my age and don't like Ubi's "always on" DRM as much as I do ? Wouldn't surprise me, at least. ;)

Fable was a mediocre console action-RPG.

It wasn't completely terrible on its own, but it fell far short of being the ultimate RPG that Molyneux talked about.

Back
Top Bottom