HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Patch 2.1.0 for Pillars of Eternity II is now available:

Patch 2.1.0.0034 is live!

Greetings and well met Watchers!

Patch 2.1.0 is now live! There are a ton of new features and fixes in the game, so I'll just leave you with the new stuff. For the complete patch notes, please visit our forums.

New Features & Updates

• Shroud of the Phantasm - A new community-designed cape, the Shroud of the Phantasm seems to grant the wielder the favor of Wael, though the will of the God of Secrets is all but impossible to discern for certain. Wearers gain the ability to manifest illusory duplicates and are rarely, if the God of Secrets is watching, struck with bolts of understanding capable of turning the tide of battle. You can find this magical item hidden within Berkana's Observatory.
  • Ability Tree Preview - Thanks to our programming team, the Class Ability Tree can now be viewed outside of the level up screen! This can be done from the Inventory/Character Sheet UI, or when recruiting a new companion.
  • New Magran's Fires Challenges added - New challenges and old favorites have been added for players that want a difficult experience with a twist. These challenges can be found by clicking the head of Magran at the bottom of the Title Menu.
  • Skaen's Challenge
  • The Fog of War is greatly reduced around the Player's Character.
  • Torches can help increase the vision area.
  • Abydon's Challenge
  • Weapons and Armor now degrade during adventuring.
  • Weapons and Armor can be repaired for a price through the Enchanting Menu.
  • Enchanting UI Update
  • The Enchanting Menu has received a visual re-work. Enchantment progression paths are now much clearer, and it should be easy to tell if a new enchantment will replace or rework an old enchantment.
  • Steam Workshop Mod Support - Mods will now be supported through the Steam Workshop page. Check it out to see what unique changes the community is bringing to the world of Eora!
  • Audio Combat Remixing - Our audio team has remastered in-game combat sounds, resolving a suite of bugs and generally improving the game as per community feedback:
  • Combat Chatter now provides more critical feedback and is easier to understand during combat.
  • Creatures have been tuned to spam sounds less
  • Ability audio has been tuned to react to other sounds (i.e. gets softer when combat chatter is playing)
  • And much more!
Resolved Major Issues

• FPS degradation over time that was introduced in v2.0.1 no longer occurs.
  • Party companion portraits are now saved after restarting the game.
  • Items are no longer duplicated when using the Quickload feature during item transactions.
  • Modals appear when a weapon is copied into a character's main hand.
  • Pillars of Eternity 1 saves are now recognized across all supported languages.
  • Players now leave Bekarna's Observatory as expected.
  • Players now leave Fort Deadlight as expected.
  • Pre-Ukaizo save data now allows for DLC completion.
  • Players that obtain the submarine can now leave Nekataka via port icon.
  • Players can now read the Harbinger's missive with no issues.
  • Aloth and Konstanten will now appear as intended in Party Management.
  • Players no longer get stuck in combat when boarding the Deck of Many Things while a hostile ship is nearby.
More information.

Was liking these patch notes until I read about gear degradation/repair. Hoping you can turn that off as that adds nothing to the game beyond tedium in my opinion.

It's an optional feature that can only be activated playing a special game mode.

Not mentioned in the link, they added 5 new enchanted weapons, 2 new grimoires with unique spells, and 14 new pets into the game. They are going overboard at this point.

For fixing loading times you need coders. Creating items is done by designers.

I guess additions like this are only done to keep a steady workload for employees until preproduction for the new game starts.

I guess additions like this are only done to keep a steady workload for employees until preproduction for the new game starts.

There was some development effort in this as well though i.e. new UI elements etc. But yes, they ain't going to be doing wholesale rewriting :)

They're also adding free mega-bosses as well. That likely entails creating new maps and creature models. I read that Justin Bell was creating new music to be implemented in the next patch as well.

I don't understand what Obsidian is achieving by making all this free content. Not that I'm complaining, but it doesn't seem like it's going to boost the playerbase or user reviews. If this place is any indication, it's scaring away potential customers.

I am waiting for the Enhanced Complete Edition Game of the Year version before I start playing it. Hopefully with some community mods to fix what Obsidian made.

They're also adding free mega-bosses as well. That likely entails creating new maps and creature models. I read that Justin Bell was creating new music to be implemented in the next patch as well.

I don't understand what Obsidian is achieving by making all this free content. Not that I'm complaining, but it doesn't seem like it's going to boost the playerbase or user reviews. If this place is any indication, it's scaring away potential customers.

Well, even of it doesn't add many new customers I'm pretty sure it builds loyalty and goodwill with your current customers if you keep supporting your game.

It keep the game in the news which leads to more people buying the game.

As for scaring away potential customers, I'm personally surprised with the shift since 2015. Nobody here had a problem with TW3 getting 16 free DLCs or meaty patches with new features post release. People actually praised CDPR for it.

I'm pretty sure it's causing them to lose customers. People see how much new content and features are added with each patch, and they'd rather wait to purchase.

I understand the loyalty argument if they want to crowdfund future projects, but it has diminishing returns. Anyone that isn't already won over most likely never will be.

I don't see them scaring away potential customer. CDPR already did the same thing with Witcher 3, TW:Warhammer 1 & 2 was/are doing it and I believe there are others who do it.

Reasons for that is to stay relevant on steam front page because when you update your game it get's shown again, plus it build loyal fanbase which is really important for companies.

Even if people are waiting to purchase game when it's 'done' is not a bad thing as they didn't reduce the price on the product.

I think it's a strategy that can cut both ways. Personally, I waited until the patches and DLC were finished for the Witcher 3, and I do with most games, including this one.

But I also tend to buy the games I'm interested in at launch, as I know that helps the studios to survive. If I didn't take that stance, I could easily wait until the GOTY version of every game is at a bargain price. I do suspect that the culture of major patches and in-game DLC have hurt sales in that way.

I'm waiting until everything is released and then a sale. However, I'm not really a fan of Obsidian stuff. If they ever make a new Alpha Protocol, maybe. I'll buy it just to have it in the collection. I'm thinking Black Friday or the Winter Sale if it drops far enough. If not, next year's Black Friday or Winter Sale, etc.

Meh, how about fixing the insane loading times

There was some development effort in this as well though i.e. new UI elements etc. But yes, they ain't going to be doing wholesale rewriting :)
Well fortune cookie says don't get your hopes up. As this has been a problem of almost every RPG from Inexile & Obsidian, & Harebrained schemes Battletech. So not new.

Only explanation beside its due to coding and how it looks for certain files. Basically that Unity has a major problem with loading data. Especially with developing RPG games.

You can compare an SSD and an ordinary HD with mixed results. Also before some one says it works fine for them a percentage of players still have these problems.

Last edited:
Was liking these patch notes until I read about gear degradation/repair. Hoping you can turn that off as that adds nothing to the game beyond tedium in my opinion.

I just loved that in the old Realms Of Arcania games ! Even although it was very tedious, I loved it because it made the game more realistic !

I'm also waiting on everything to be released and then on sale. I do buy games at release if I'm interested enough, otherwise, wait for sale. With PoE2, I decided to wait since I didn't enjoy the first one. Since there is one more DLC left, I don't think it will be on sale until next year....

Back
Top Bottom