Vagrus: The Riven Realms - Early Access Version released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Early Access version of Vagrus: The Riven Realms has been released:

Vagrus - The Riven Realms enters Early Access!

Early Access Announcement for Vagrus - The Riven Realms

Thanks to all the insights you have shared with us during Vagrus' Open Access period, the game has grown and improved massively in the last twelve months. We are proud to share that we kick off our Early Access journey with over fifty hours of available content that we look to expand further during our EA period, which is expected to last until the eventual full release sometime in 2021.

We have come very far but if you dive in for the first time and play the current build, please keep in mind that the game is in no way finished yet - see bugs and less polished areas for what they are: potential to make the game even better. Your help by reporting those using our in-game tool (F1) and sharing your experiences on our Discord server (discord.gg/vagrus) will continue to be the key for learning about and prioritizing focus areas in our development process.

Check out our game and if you like it, spread the word, and don't forget to leave a review on its store page!

The Lost Pilgrims Team
More information.

What do you mean? The price looks like it is based on the 25 US dollars the base fig campaign pledge starts at. I don't know any AAA games selling for 25 bucks at release.

I see you are based in Brazil and from what I understand of the currency market your down right now, so it sucks to buy stuff outside your country but is great for selling your commodities to outside the country. We suffer the same problem in Canada it sucks but bitching that things should be priced the same because our dollar has gone down doesn't face reality, on the other hand I get more dollars when I sell my grain. Got to take the good with the bad.

What do you mean? The price looks like it is based on the 25 US dollars the base fig campaign pledge starts at. I don't know any AAA games selling for 25 bucks at release.

I see you are based in Brazil and from what I understand of the currency market your down right now, so it sucks to buy stuff outside your country but is great for selling your commodities to outside the country. We suffer the same problem in Canada it sucks but bitching that things should be priced the same because our dollar has gone down doesn't face reality, on the other hand I get more dollars when I sell my grain. Got to take the good with the bad.

Steam has this thing called "regional pricing" in which developers can set individual pricing per country regardless of the value of USD.

Take Cyberpunk 2077 for example: it costs 60 USD which would be roughly around 310 BRL, but the game costs 200 BRL instead because of regional pricing.

Vagrus on the other end, costs 28 USD which is around 150 BRL and

See where I'm getting at?

Cyberpunk 2077 at 200 BRL and Vagrus at 150 BRL.

Get what I mean?

I see what you mean don't get the entitlement to a 30 percent plus discount though from a little indi developer, that's like me paying the same price as US in my currency dispite our dollar being 35 percent less.

I tend to suffer from regional pricing in the EU, but while I agree with your sentiment, one has to consider competition. I always consider the relative price of games when I buy one. Does a game look like its 60 euros worth for me? I only have bought one game at full AAA retail price in the last 15 years. I am much more likely to spend 30 or 25 euros on a game that I really want. I am also willing to give a chance to a game that I am uncertain I will like if the price is under 15 euros. Trails in the Sky part 3 costs 30 euros, and has never been on sale for under 22 eurs, so I still haven't bought it, because there have always been games I want more for the asking price. If it ever dips below 20 euros though, I would buy it.

I think offering an indie game for 75% the price of an AAA game on a particular market will hurt its sales, especially if other indie games are regionally priced.

So I checked out their Steam reviews, then I went to their EA plan for the future and see that they say that they are trying to intentionally limit the number of players who buy their game, so they have a limited amount of testers at the beginning and are considering regional prices at a later point. It sort of has a wierd logic to it. You can read it here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/909660/discussions/0/3880365824934242397/

and here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/909660/discussions/0/2793872317877623216/

I am subscribed to two Steam threads where customers are arguing about the studios' decision on not allowing (as of now) their game to have regional pricing. I've been reading every kind of reasoning either pro or against such decision. If you ask me, I'm totally against it but since it appears to be dev's call (and not Steam's) then fine by me. I just answered with my wallet: not only I didn't buy the game (you guessed it correctly, as a Brazilian I'm also "affected" by the lack of regional pricing) but I also opted to remove it from my wishlist. Simple as that, period.

(…) they say that they are trying to intentionally limit the number of players who buy their game (…)

Yeah, I read that too. A piece of free advice to them: beware what you wish for. And a question to be answered in the future: was it all worth it?

Last edited:
I tend to suffer from regional pricing in the EU, but while I agree with your sentiment, one has to consider competition. I always consider the relative price of games when I buy one. Does a game look like its 60 euros worth for me? I only have bought one game at full AAA retail price in the last 15 years. I am much more likely to spend 30 or 25 euros on a game that I really want. I am also willing to give a chance to a game that I am uncertain I will like if the price is under 15 euros. Trails in the Sky part 3 costs 30 euros, and has never been on sale for under 22 eurs, so I still haven't bought it, because there have always been games I want more for the asking price. If it ever dips below 20 euros though, I would buy it.

I think offering an indie game for 75% the price of an AAA game on a particular market will hurt its sales, especially if other indie games are regionally priced.
Ya I agree with you 100% if I figure a game is too expensive now I put it on my wish list and wait for it to come down in price, it's not like I don't have a huge backlog any way. I get the sentiment of the Brazilians not wanting to pay full price (I am a cheep bastard too) but good god it's in early access yet, wait a bit after full release before expecting it for cheap.

Back
Top Bottom