Best music in RPG?

Morrowind Soundtrack 2 catches the essence of exploring Morrowind in all its "othernesss." Just listening to #2 brought back memories of transversing the landscape with a sense of trepidation.

Stones from the Ultima Series is one of my favorites as well, even though I have never (!) played one of those games (I know, shame on me).

Realms of Arkania
Catchy soundtrack, the hum-along kind.
Examples: A New Life Is Born (RoA1), Diary (RoA2) and Pondering in Solitude (RoA3)

Divine Divinity
Incredibly diverse and slightly melancholic music.
Example: Sighs Of The Elvenkind

Diablo
Oozing with atmosphere.
Example: Tristram Theme

Actually, the Tristram Theme may be my most favorite of them all.

Arcanum gets an honorable mention because its soundtrack was certainly unique.

Love them all.

I never knew that Realms of Arkania has that beautiful medieval music. Sadly I miss the games back then, but now that I'm familiar with Drakensang, maybe I should try them out. :) At least gotta listen the soundtrack through!

Diablo 1's Tristram theme definately needs to be mentioned. I love the guitar sound. What an EVIL theme. At the very instance I heard the music, my mind flew years and years back when I was still sitting on my old room in my parents house playing Diablo as a teenager. ;) I think it says it best here: "Enjoy your trip!"

Last edited:
1- Planescape Torment entire soundtrack
2- Icewind Dale's Theme Music
3- Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver 1 and 2
4- Divine Divinity entire soundtrack
5- Too Human Theme Music
6- Arcanum Theme Music

I loved the music of IWD, PS:T, BG, Gothic and the like, too. But I can't say I enjoy listening to the soundtracks on their own. Too much ambiance, not enough melodies.

@HiddenX: Thread title said something about music in RPGs, not other games. :p JemyM had that game music nostalgia thread going, there's more in there.

Planescape Torment's music is wonderful. Baldur's Gate 2 was also extremely good. I also liked Diablo's (though I did not like the game).

I loved U7's music for a long time, up to the point where I used some tracks as background in pen&paper sessions. But I honestly can't stand the poort quality anymore. When I replayed the Black Gate and Serpent Isle last year, I played them without any sound.

I haven't seen Mass Effect mentioned. Both games had good music, but the Kraftwerk-like tracks of the first game struck me as quite unique considering other games I played. Mass Effect 2's music has more of a Blade Runner feel to it, also nice.

I still love the intro theme of the original Settlers. :)

And - the song "Wahooka the mighty" of Stonekeep was something I loved for long time. :)

Plus, hre is another music theme of the town of Icewind Dale … Just under that giant tree … I still haven't found a name for it, and I don't think it has been released in any form yet.
Some time ago, someone pointed me towards a theme from that as an an MP3 file, but that wasn't it.

But on top of all there still is for me the music of the Realms Of Arcania series. :)

Interesting to see so many people list Gothic 3 as their favorite. While I agree that G3 had excellent music, I preferred the sound of Gothics 1&2.

Interesting to see so many people list Gothic 3 as their favorite. While I agree that G3 had excellent music, I preferred the sound of Gothics 1&2.

Gothic 3 has very "majestic" soundtrack, but in Gothic 1&2 and soundtrack is very subtle. Most of the time, you barely here it. It's much more about good ambient sounds in G1&2.

Ultima 5 Lazarus also has notable good music.

Morrowind/Oblivion had some very good music, as did Final Fantasy 7.

Am I the only old coot that remembers Alternate Reality?

I haven't seen Mass Effect mentioned. Both games had good music, but the Kraftwerk-like tracks of the first game struck me as quite unique considering other games I played. Mass Effect 2's music has more of a Blade Runner feel to it, also nice.

The ME1 & 2 soundtracks are near the top of my list.

Morrowind/Oblivion had some very good music, as did Final Fantasy 7.

Am I the only old coot that remembers Alternate Reality?

Certainly not. I loved the different songs as you entered the various inns. They'd scroll the lyrics to the songs too, which was a cool idea at the time. I always hoped someone would buy the rights to that game.

Yeah, bunches of the songs are on YouTube now. Best sing-along RPG evah!! ;)

Well, it's not really an RPG, but it has been reviewed here ;-) Some of the themes for King's Bounty:The Legend - well, one in particular: Under the shadow of an Oak
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jyDFm_FTws) - it was the combination of music withe the tranquil elven forest...I found myself going back to that area just to listen to it! (and look at the pretty sparkly unicorns...oooo pretty!)
Others: Morrowind intro was beautiful, and Icewind Dale/BG etc - agree with many of the other choices above.

Well, it's not really an RPG, but it has been reviewed here ;-) Some of the themes for King's Bounty:The Legend - well, one in particular: Under the shadow of an Oak
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jyDFm_FTws) - it was the combination of music withe the tranquil elven forest…I found myself going back to that area just to listen to it! (and look at the pretty sparkly unicorns…oooo pretty!)
Oh yes … I wanted to do a music video with that song plus maybe Valley of a Thousand Rivers, also from KB, with footage from The Last Unicorn. Perfect synergy. Haven't gotten around to it yet though.

It's hard to choose an overall best music because imo the music for CRPGs can be divided into those where it was MIDI only, as opposed to those with a "live sound" i.e. like you're watching an orchestra or other ensemble play it live with real instruments. The MIDI tracks all take me back to playing C64 or Atari ST games. In that regard my favorites are Ultima VII (love Stones), and RoA series. Or any of those Thalion games from the 80's.

For the "live" or "realistic" soundtracks, Black Isle excelled here with BG 1 & 2, IWD. However, Diablo is my all time favorite (loaded with atmosphere). This is followed closely by Planescape and Fallout. Both of these can be appreciated most if listening by headphones. Fallout certainly was more like ambient noise, but it still had music.

It's not an RPG, but the music for Tropico 1 is the best I have ever had in a game - overall. It just ... fits everything sooo perfectly ... :)

The soundtrack was once available on Audio CDs ... I don't know whether it is nowadays, too.

If someone here has this audio CD ... I'm interested in it. ;)

Maybe we should open a new topic "best music in games in general ?

Back
Top Bottom